Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:20 PM

96 posts, read 112,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde1 View Post
We are in Hendersonville (Druid Hills area) and we have AT&T. It sucks. Very slow most all the time. I have had a tech out here after the 2nd week and no difference after replacing all the equipment.

I would be pulling my hair out if I worked at home online.
Is this AT&T Uverse? I ask since that is what we will have once the house is done and I work from home

Other people currently work from home in the community we are building and say they have no issues, but this makes me a bit nervous....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:58 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStark View Post
Is this AT&T Uverse? I ask since that is what we will have once the house is done and I work from home

Other people currently work from home in the community we are building and say they have no issues, but this makes me a bit nervous....
I think it is, I looked into that as well. If you look at the reviews on line for MBB and ATT in the H'ville area, both sound like a horror show. But then there was a comment from one guy about replacing MBB with Uverse, so...

If the people in your community say they have no issues, it's probably OK, unless they're shining you on.

Just in case, as a back-up, see if you can get Skyrunner where you are, they got back to me yesterday and were really good at explaining the inconsistency of internet in the mountains, why service is good in one area and not in another, etc. Where I was going to go, it probably wouldn't work out at this time.

Unfortunately, I can't take the risk right now, sigh. Not for another year or two.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:17 PM

395 posts, read 462,474 times
Quote:

How well AT&T works seems to be dependent on what area exactly one lives. We have had AT&T for a few years now without many interruptions at all. I will say that just lately, however, we have had more internet downtime than ever before. But I also have been noticing a lot of stuff being spewed into our skies by high flying planes, stuff that doesn't just go away in a few minutes, but rather slowly turns into a haze in the sky as more white stuff continues to get sprayed. I wonder if these odd, nebulous looking clouds that are being made by these planes may have something to do with the internet connection interference. I don't know, of course, but it is an interesting coincidence of timing.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:29 AM

526 posts, read 459,511 times
Quote:
We are in Hendersonville (Druid Hills area) and we have AT&T. It sucks. Very slow most all the time. I have had a tech out here after the 2nd week and no difference after replacing all the equipment.

I would be pulling my hair out if I worked at home online.
I also have AT&T and THEY are the worst. I pay $64.00 for internet only and if I get .20-.25 upload it's good, rarely 4.0 download speeds and I pay for much more. The have been to my home at least 100 times in the last 10 yrs or so. The biggest problem is the breaks, when they show my service on the laptop it drops out 5-6 times a minute and every few minutes you get a mini freeze for 3-5 seconds.
It's out about 20% of the time and talking to a HUMAN on the phone is next to impossible. Every tech tells us something different and just all blame each other.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:36 PM

126 posts, read 137,886 times
Quote:

Yes AT&T Uverse. Absolutely horrible uploads (1-2 Mbps) and downloads (6-8 Mbps) on a good day. My old place in Illinois it was 70+ Mbps downloads with Comcast cable. Again AT&T sucks.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Yes AT&T Uverse. Absolutely horrible uploads (1-2 Mbps) and downloads (6-8 Mbps) on a good day. My old place in Illinois it was 70+ Mbps downloads with Comcast cable. Again AT&T sucks.
I would love that!

Old 08-11-2017, 02:43 PM

39 posts, read 33,926 times
"Just in case, as a back-up, see if you can get Skyrunner where you are, they got back to me yesterday and were really good at explaining the inconsistency of internet in the mountains, why service is good in one area and not in another, etc. Where I was going to go, it probably wouldn't work out at this time."

mountain newbie question - what is Skyrunner. we are in due diligence on a home in Hendersonville, up in the hills but not too crazy. probably will go with Morris but wondering what the backup of Skyrunner is?

thanks

Old 08-11-2017, 03:04 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
We have Skyrunnner, an ISP in western NC...

The company 'bounces' wireless internet service around many areas of western NC, via repeaters, to a small receiver dish mounted on your house, and you have internet service.

We have had it for a few years. It is pricey, esp if one is looking for cable like speed, but with no cable up here on our Mtn, we have few choices...

It works most of the time, though it seems to slow down in late afternoon/evening almost as cable internet does, when the masses fire up their home devices/Netflix et al.

Fwiw, we pay $50 a month for "6+ Mb Down/2+ Mb Up" but the usual speed test sites show us at <4 down and <2 up, and sometimes worse.
GL, mD
click the link and scroll for info and rates

Residential Internet Service – Skyrunner Internet

Last edited by motordavid; 08-11-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We have Skyrunnner, an ISP in western NC...

The company 'bounces' wireless internet service around many areas of western NC, via repeaters, to a small receiver dish mounted on your house, and you have internet service.

We have had it for a few years. It is pricey, esp if one is looking for cable like speed, but with no cable up here on our Mtn, we have few choices...

It works most of the time, though it seems to slow down in late afternoon/evening almost as cable internet does, when the masses fire up their home devices/Netflix et al.

Fwiw, we pay $50 a month for "6+ Mb Down/2+ Mb Up" but the usual speed test sites show us at <4 down and <2 up, and sometimes worse.
GL, mD
click the link and scroll for info and rates

Residential Internet Service – Skyrunner Internet
Cheaper then I thought I will be checking them out.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:25 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
...we pay $50 a month for "6+ Mb Down/2+ Mb Up" but the usual speed test sites show us at <4 down and <2 up, and sometimes worse...
wow, that's crazy - what is your comparable speed/price in Sarasota? Is ATT Uverse/Gigapower available on the mountain? how does Skyrunner compare to satellite internet? where is Charter/Spectrum in your community? (the speed/customer service are much improved over the past several years) - I have the lowest tier, 60/5 now with no data cap

Last edited by drfranklin; 08-12-2017 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina