Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM

119 posts, read 206,895 times

Advertisements

Ok, this is my story. Recently visited friends in Culowhee. Loved it, but this part of the mountains is a bit too pricey for me. Have been looking around at what I can afford. I found a really nice A-Frame in the mountains outside of Murphy.

I am retired, gay, and close to seventy. I don't flaunt my sexuality. Have really never had any problems with that. I don't want to live somewhere though, where it would be impossible to make friends with the locals. After all, I might have to depend on them. Where I currently live, it's quite redneck, and I still get along with most folks here.

I do need to be not too far from a hospital, as I have afib controlled with medication. There could be the rare event, where I would need to seek medical help. Being hours from it, would be a problem.

I have read some negative things here about Murphy, so am laying it on the line. Don't really care who responds to this post, so long as people do! I cherish honesty in people, more than agreement.

Have read some stories about " preppers " living in that area. Wouldn't want to live near that kind of nutcases. I like to live in peace and harmony with my neighbors ( at least in peace ) I like the country life, so do not really care about fancy restaurants and the like. I do need to be able to get my necessities without driving hours, though.

While I keep browsing the forums, I also would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 03:06 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
I cherish honesty in people, more than agreement.
In complete seriousness, if that is what you cherish, then you are very likely to be frustrated in this geography.

"Going along to get along" is a hallmark of the culture of many Southeastern states (and the habit runs deep). It's nice in some ways and utterly does not serve you well in others. Telling you what you want to hear (how does anyone else know what you want?) is what you will encounter more often than a direct answer to a clear question.

I don't live in Murphy but the whole of Western NC is a substantially tolerant place in my experience. I wouldn't worry about being gay in this area.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:35 AM

78 posts, read 85,798 times
I'm new to Murphy and have found almost everyone to be kind, neighborly and tolerant. I can say, though, that calling people "nutcases" will not help you at all. It shows that you're the intolerant one. When a natural disaster strikes -- and it will -- there's no one I'd rather be closer to than a prepper. Maybe the mountains aren't for you if you think of true mountain folk as "nutcases".

Old 08-30-2017, 07:46 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
As I have often written, we have lived here in Waynesville/Western NC since just after 9-11, 17 years ago...from metro NY.
I have never had an untoward moment from anyone, in that time.

We have Geezer friends, younger friends, transplant friends, 10th Gen local friends, gay friends, crazy friends, 'normal' friends, et al. Dems, Repubs, fringe, religious, atheists, don't cares, et al...

No one really cares about those tags or groups, classifications or broad sweeping type generalizations, imo.

Does everyone like everyone? Hellsbells, no. But, 'moving' to Murphy or Cheboygan should not be based on what appears to be a search for only people 'as I am'.

'Nutcases' are to be found in every place in the US/world...
GL, mD

Old 09-01-2017, 08:01 PM

1,195 posts, read 984,525 times
Necessities are plentiful near town. I had a gay neighbor who was very out-going and loved it here where he lived 10 years, but had to move to Florida for financial reasons. I know there are preppers here just because it's the perfect setting to prep, but mostly people are just country, seasonal residents or retired. Murphy medical is 5 miles south of town, if you need any special doctors u may need to drive a bit for those appointments.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:42 PM

287 posts, read 896,802 times
My husband and I are thinking of possibly retiring to the area around Nantahala National Forest (we aren't close enough yet to actually retiring so that is why I'm not posting on the main page). The climate seems more temperate, while still having seasons (currently in Phoenix - too hot and dry). We also like the fact that its about 2 hours from the Atlanta airport, as we like to travel. Its good to hear that the area is a friendly one.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:11 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
My husband and I are thinking of possibly retiring to the area around Nantahala National Forest (we aren't close enough yet to actually retiring so that is why I'm not posting on the main page). The climate seems more temperate, while still having seasons (currently in Phoenix - too hot and dry). We also like the fact that its about 2 hours from the Atlanta airport, as we like to travel. Its good to hear that the area is a friendly one.
Just FYI.....the drive to Atlanta airport would be pushing 4 hours, not 2, from Nantahala.
Greenville, SC and Charlotte, NC airports are closer.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:30 AM

287 posts, read 896,802 times
Yikes! I suppose mapquest isn't that accurate after all!

Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Just FYI.....the drive to Atlanta airport would be pushing 4 hours, not 2, from Nantahala.
Greenville, SC and Charlotte, NC airports are closer.
I've made it from the NC/GA line (near Murphy) to Hartsfield in two hours before...depending on traffic. Go down 515/575 instead of over the mountain. You just have to be aware of the traffic in ATL and adjust. Sometimes it's quicker to go the connector downtown, sometimes it's quicker to take the perimeter. It's taken me longer to get to Greenville's airport at times. And don't forget Chattanooga has an airport as well. No matter which airport of the four I fly out of Asheville/ATL/Greenville/Chattanooga I've never encountered a four hour drive... hhmmm.. do I just drive that fast?

Old 09-09-2017, 05:11 AM

1,195 posts, read 984,525 times
I live just 5 miles north of Murphy town and ATL airport doesn't take 4 hours via 60/515 unless u go at the worst possible rush hour time. From Nanthahala may take 4 hours depending what part of Nantahala forest u are. The Bryson city side will easily take 4 hours. I never ever go the "over the mountain/Gainsville" way, the speed is much slower. AVL airport may be good for domestic but I haven't used it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina