Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:55 PM

54 posts, read 71,115 times

Advertisements

A little about me and what I'm looking for in a place to live...I've posted evolving versions of this in South Carolina also, but I'm beginning to focus on Tryon, NC.

My wife and I originally emigrated from Long Island, NY to the Washington Metro area for employment and to raise a family, far away from the crime ridden and filthy New York area. That was 1977. Gaithersburg was a small town, known mostly for the "National Bureau of Standards" (NIST), and IBM. The major interstate into DC was 2 lanes each way, and there was some semblance of a rush hour. Now, the kids are grown and starting their own families. I'm 63, retired from IBM almost 2 years now and strongly considering relocating away from the East Coast, Gaithersburg, MD specifically, heading further inland and South to North Carolina. Tennessee looks to be too cold for me and South Carolina just a bit too far to drive back and forth.

What I'm trying to get away from: The COLD, SNOW, Sanctuary Cities and Counties, increasing congestion, loss of rural / farm areas, large towns where people don't even look you in the eye anymore. I own an ocean front condominium in Ocean City, Maryland, but the three-hour hell-ride through or around Washington, DC to get there, and the throngs of tourists render it almost unusable. Out of control land development is rampant, just for the sake of increasing the tax base. Old farmers are dying and in their stead are signs that read "GRAND OPENING! THOUSANDS OF LUXURY TOWNHOMES" with undersized garages and inadequate parking as far as my aging eyes can see.

What I am trying to find: Warmth, in both climate and the people. Rule of Law, Small towns, where you recognize neighbors, and they talk to you. Water, lakes, fishing (sometimes), the right to not feel guilty about owning a gun and use it if need be to protect myself. Open roads.. I enjoy (quiet) motorcycling through the rural countryside, seeing barns, horses, cows, streams, located between old historic down-towns. NO major commercial corridors that will draw millions of new job seekers.

I don't care anymore about access to museums, theater, ballet, operas or orchestras.. or gyms. A reasonable drive to an airport would be nice, so I can threaten the kids with an occasional visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Polk County, consisting of the Town of Columbus, the City of Saluda, and the Town of Tryon, is sparsely populated, is equestrian centered, and has a minimal presence of chain stores and restaurants. I frequent Tryon weekly or bi-weekly.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:59 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Tryon is part of the "thermal belt" where winters are more moderate. It sounds like a good place to research further. It certainly is different from Gaithersburg.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-02-2018 at 07:02 AM..

Old 02-02-2018, 11:45 AM

526 posts, read 460,047 times
Taxes near the TIEC are skyrocketing and will continue to.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:23 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Taxes in general? Property taxes? I'm looking to leave the northeast because property taxes are stifling (they include town taxes and the education tax, which is a boondoggle) and the legislature in this state has a one track mind on spending: increase taxes. I realize I have to pay taxes, but the situation here seems very oppressive and despite the fact that everyone complains about this, the same people get voted in time and time again, and no one every pushes back at our quaint "town meetings" by voting DOWN a school budget. The south has a reputation for affordability. Not to mention the mild winters.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:31 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
Taxes near the TIEC are skyrocketing and will continue to.
Don't you mean "property values"? In any event, the town of Tryon and the TIEC are 15 miles apart, so whatever is happening at TIEC can't have much effect on Tryon, or most of Polk County.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:23 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,661 times
Tryon/Polk County is a good place to grow up or retire to, and there are certainly plenty of retirees. I don't recall from the 2010 Census, but in 2000 it had the highest percentage of people over the age of 65 out of all the other counties in the state (~24%). I left for one of those fast growing cities to have a professional career and slowly lose my sanity while sitting at red lights (there are eight total in Polk County).

It's a "unique" area, to say the least. It's not quite in the mountains, it's not quite in the Piedmont, and it's not quite in the Upstate of South Carolina. It does have easy access to those areas via I-26 and US 74. From Columbus, AVL Regional and GSP Int'l are both about half an hour away. CLT Int'l is about an 1:15-1:30 away, depending on the time of day. That time will be shortened once the bypass around Shelby is completed. Besides the two freeways, there are currently no other four-lane roads in the entire county. NC 108 is scheduled to be widened at the I-26 interchange in the "commercial district" of Columbus in 2021.

Shopping is very limited. There are grocery and dollar stores, but everything else is a half hour drive away (Walmart, Lowe's, clothing, etc.). Some people are OK with that.

Regarding the "Thermal Belt:" this occurs in a very specific area on the slopes of the mountains and valley west of Tryon, and only under certain conditions. It gets below freezing regularly and still snows, but don't tell the Chamber of Commerce. It does exist, but it's not the magical phenomenon covering a hundred square miles that everyone makes it out to be. In the summer, it's as hot and muggy as the rest of the Piedmont. Saluda is the exception, with temperatures comparable to Hendersonville (elevation >2,000 ft).

There are a lot of horse farms, but that's predominantly in the southeastern portion of the county. You won't see a single horse while driving between Columbus, Tryon and Saluda. I would say the equestrian community is an overall small percentage of the population, but they're the most visible. It's like going to Charlotte and assuming everyone works for a bank, or asking someone from Hendersonville if they grow apples.

Large scale communities have tried to come into the area, but the 2008 bubble took care of several of them. White Oak Plantation and Bright's Creek both filed for bankruptcy. Nothing came out of several others that were proposed, such as the Chocolate Drop Mountain debacle.

The big deal right now is the Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC, which is also fifteen miles from Tryon) and the upcoming 2018 World Equestrian Games. They've made a significant investment, and are now the highest taxpayer in the county. I honestly think they're going to embarrass themselves in front of the world hosting such a large event so far away from available lodging, but that's just my opinion.

Property is by no means cheap in the area, especially considering the lack of amenities. Searching Zillow for $1M+ homes turned up 27 results in Polk County, 31 in Henderson County, and 19 in Rutherford County. Property values near the TIEC rose significantly, some over 300 percent. Like in many other areas, this was partially caused by locals selling out for as much as they could get from the bottomless pockets of TIEC, driving up values for everyone else.

There's a very noticeable wealth gap in the area. Driving down the road, it's a Mercedes, beat-up truck, BMW, beat-up car... trailer, horse farm, trailer, mansion. I don't know what it is now, but at one point close to half of the kids in the public schools were on free or reduced lunch. I don't know how that compares to other areas, but it sounded high to me.

I rambled a bit, but hopefully that helps paint a picture, for better or worse.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Don't you mean "property values"? In any event, the town of Tryon and the TIEC are 15 miles apart, so whatever is happening at TIEC can't have much effect on Tryon, or most of Polk County.
I used hunt down there and know a few of these folks whose taxes have gone up 300%

Quote:
"equestrian influenced," so her property taxes almost tripled
https://scontent.fcae1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27458871_1815508295162517_7115410506109379593_n.jp g?oh=23f0a6b99d8a3b644891cfdbb4e93c93&oe=5B1F96D5

Property revaluations spark tax increase concerns

Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Taxes went up based on property values increasing. Its not like there is separate, higher tax rate for the area around the TIEC. From the article:

"Higher property values are causing big headaches for some folks in Polk County."

Higher property values have a positive side too.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Taxes went up based on property values increasing. Its not like there is separate, higher tax rate for the area around the TIEC. From the article:

"Higher property values are causing big headaches for some folks in Polk County."

Higher property values have a positive side too.
Not for those who have lived there for generations who planned on living there till the end.
My point is either way taxes (property values) are going up and will continue to.
Also I will bet my life because there is already talk of expanding these so called ZONES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina