Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 06:02 AM

526 posts, read 461,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
When I had our old tank removed the state ended up reimbursing for almost the entire amount. I think I ended up only being out a couple of hundred dollars.
Why?

Old 04-29-2018, 09:35 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 773,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
Why?
There was a program for it. I think they wanted to encourage people to get rid of the underground tanks and clean it up, vs ignoring them or just filling them in. I didn't argue with the guy.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:39 AM

526 posts, read 461,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
There was a program for it. I think they wanted to encourage people to get rid of the underground tanks and clean it up, vs ignoring them or just filling them in. I didn't argue with the guy.
Cool, that's great. It's amazing how some areas don't care what ya do and some make ya jump thru hoops.
I've seen holes dug 20+ feet deep by 50' to remove contaminated soil then have to be shipped out to be cleaned and then returned. Talk about $$$$$$$$$!!!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 PM

75 posts, read 467,297 times
If at all possible have the current owner remove the underground storage tank (UST) before you take title to the house. I understand you hired a company to take soil borings around the UST, make sure they take a minimum of 4 borings one from each side and if at all possible they should take one through the center of the tank. Borings should be taken at least 6 inches below the base of the tank. The analysis of the samples should only rely on the handheld meter readings if they show evidence of gross hydrocarbon contamination. If the handhelds show slight or no hydrocarbons evidence, samples should be sent to a laboratory for analysis. Samples should not be combined because the result will be an average of all samples, whereas one sample might be hot and will not be recognized because it will be averaged out. If you were the owner of the property, I would advise you not to take samples before the tank was removed because it would be a waste of money, instead just remove the UST and take samples after removal. There is a lot of risk in relying on the borings and purchasing the house with the UST in the ground. The reason is, the borings could miss the oil path from the tank and if they were not able to take a sample through the center of the tank the oil path could have been straight down. I have seen this many times in areas with sandy soil. The standard of taking 4 borings around the tank relies on the oil from a leak, leaching out to the sides were as in sandy soil this does not happen it just goes straight down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina