Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 05:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,946 times

Advertisements

I live here and I love it. I couldnt be happier...beautiful country, awesome people, wonderful small town vibe...i've woken up everyday for the last 15 years with a smile on my face what more can I say...it is truly living a dream. So pretty, made great friends, 1886 farmhouse, dogs, horses...I LOVE IT!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 07:18 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,515,791 times
Best prices for land here would be in Western half of county everything in Eastern half contains resorts, ski areas and high dollar developments. Along highway 19E from Elk Park South to Avery/Mitchell county line lower prices and still easy access to rest of county.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:12 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,551,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeginan View Post
Interesting post, Nickname. The bootleggers and pot growers may be a bit close to the tourists. Newland is literally a 5 min drive to Linville, and another 6 or 7 mins to the Tynecastle turn (to Sugar Mountain / Banner Elk).

Anyone else know the area?
I own a rental house near Crossnore/Altamont. Great little area, but quite remote. Even a trip to Walmart requires driving to Boone or Spruce Pine. The nearest Lowes Home Improvement is in Banner Elk. Luckily they DO deliver to pretty much anywhere in Avery County, so I get my appliances from them. It's kind of hard to find people to do work for you though. Finding plumbers/roofers/etc that actually show up is a bit of a challenge. It even took Lowes several months just to get me a vinyl siding quote.

I would love to live up there in the summer. I have a Lotus Seven style roadster, and the driving roads up there are incredible.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:46 AM

915 posts, read 1,624,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I live full-time near Tynecastle just off Hwy 105. Neeginan, you hit the nail on the head in your first post as to the convenience of all the things that seem to be your hot buttons. We are members of the Y and agree that it's a fantastic resource for a community this size. For all your basic medical needs, Avery & Watauga counties have very good providers if you choose carefully. I was at the Cannon Hospital ER with excruciating back pain in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve three years ago, and received very good care.

I've been in and out of Newland quite a bit but can't really speak to the local social networking. Being the county seat, Newland seems to be more a "regular" town as compared to the more resort-type communities in the area. My favorite restaurants in Newland are Carolina Bar-B-Q, River Walk Pizza, and Kay's Kitchen.

If you have pups or kitties, Dr. Brent Jewel at Avery Animal Hospital in Newland is the BEST!

There are several non-profits based in the Newland area that are always in need of volunteers. That would be a great way to immerse yourself in the community quickly... Habitat for Humanity, Feeding Avery Families, Yellow Mountain Enterprises, Avery Senior Center, Avery Humane Society, etc.

Be aware that, despite the abundance of resort communities and high-end developments, there is a LOT of poverty in Avery County, and not much middle class. The rural area around Newland has a lot of rough areas. Do your due diligence before you purchase land.

We have another C-D regular (LiveLoveLaugh) who can probably add a lot more. She lives out in the country between Newland and Linville Falls.

Kay's Kitchen gets my vote as well. And Bella's in Banner Elk - garlic bread is addictive/spaghetti & lasagna pretty tasty.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:12 AM

902 posts, read 807,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeginan View Post
Hi,

New to the forum. Interested in 10 acres just outside Newland in Avery County. We have always enjoyed the Boone, Banner Elk, Valle Crucis area and have done many family vacations to enjoy the summer weather as well as winter sports. Idea is to build a family retreat and eventually a place to retire. We ran across this land option outside Newland earlier this year.

I have done some searches on this forum and don't see a lot about Newland in Avery County. The town seems small but quite quaint, and easy driving distance to the more touristy spots like Banner Elk. Linville, Linville Falls, Grandfather Mountain and the resorts at Beech and Sugar Mountain. Boone is only 30 minutes for a bigger small town (movie theatres, more restaurant choices). We also went to check out the Charles A. Cannon Jr. Memorial Hospital, and the YMCA right there between Linville and Newland. Access to medical care is important for when we use the property later in retirement and it's just a few minutes away from that hospital. We toured the YMCA and it is fantastic with Gym and even an indoor pool open all year. Just seems fantastic to have a hospital less than 10 minutes away as opposed to a 30 minute drive in case of emergencies.

Anyone on this forum that can provide insight into living in the Newland area year round? Good and bad if any. We understand the basic stuff about country living, that's what we are looking for. But any pros and cons specific to this area would be appreciated. Just seeing so little mention of Newland compared to other Western NC towns is making me wonder what's up.

Thank you kindly,

C
We recently had gone to look at a 20+ acre piece in Newland that looked good by the pictures. Had everything that we were looking for (creek, pastures, wooded portion). Got there and yes although nice it was surrounded by at least 30 dilapidated trailers (still occupied) in a very depressing atmosphere. Needless to say we moved on.

Best bet is to go and look at listings in person (especially here in the mountains) as they can be very deceiving, with angles to cut out the eyesores, pictures that aren’t even of the property itself (a pasture / creek down the road) or bait and switch listings that are expired but re-posted just to draw in new inquiries.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:25 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
We recently had gone to look at a 20+ acre piece in Newland that looked good by the pictures. Had everything that we were looking for (creek, pastures, wooded portion). Got there and yes although nice it was surrounded by at least 30 dilapidated trailers (still occupied) in a very depressing atmosphere. Needless to say we moved on.

Best bet is to go and look at listings in person (especially here in the mountains) as they can be very deceiving, with angles to cut out the eyesores, pictures that aren’t even of the property itself (a pasture / creek down the road) or bait and switch listings that are expired but re-posted just to draw in new inquiries.
Nailed it!

Old 08-16-2020, 05:10 AM

788 posts, read 783,933 times
Since this tread was sleeping soundly for the last 14 months until yesterday the OP ether liked it and bought or went else were but they not visited city data since ! Let it go back to sleep .

Old 08-16-2020, 09:11 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
Newland looks like it'd be a lovely place. Just large enough to have a Hardees, a meat & 3, a CVS drug store and a funeral home. What more do you need?

My sister lives half the year in Banner-Elk, and my brother in law is President of ElkRiverClubNC.com She just cannot get over house nice the people in the Western NC mountains are, and she loves the sunsets off her front deck.

Even though the region is pretty high brow, it remains about as poor as any NC county. Don't let anyone ever say that hillbillies don't still exist. We call them The Forgotten People, and they're often seen in the local stores. They really don't get out of their hollows that often.

One lady asked my sister where she was from, and she said Memphis. Then the lady said "I went to Nashville once." What she was really saying was that the only vacation I ever took was going to Nashville to the Grand Ole Opry. And that group of people are very quiet and nice.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:31 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Newland looks like it'd be a lovely place. Just large enough to have a Hardees, a meat & 3, a CVS drug store and a funeral home. What more do you need?

My sister lives half the year in Banner-Elk, and my brother in law is President of ElkRiverClubNC.com She just cannot get over house nice the people in the Western NC mountains are, and she loves the sunsets off her front deck.

Even though the region is pretty high brow, it remains about as poor as any NC county. Don't let anyone ever say that hillbillies don't still exist. We call them The Forgotten People, and they're often seen in the local stores. They really don't get out of their hollows that often.

One lady asked my sister where she was from, and she said Memphis. Then the lady said "I went to Nashville once." What she was really saying was that the only vacation I ever took was going to Nashville to the Grand Ole Opry. And that group of people are very quiet and nice.
Your sister's world view in Elk River is a world apart from Newland. While Newland does have a lot to offer as the county seat of Avery County, there are a LOT of rough edges very close to town.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:43 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Your sister's world view in Elk River is a world apart from Newland. While Newland does have a lot to offer as the county seat of Avery County, there are a LOT of rough edges very close to town.
LOL
A buddy and I rode by Elk River this morning on our way into Newland for a stop at the Wells Fargo, the Ingles, Three Nails Hardware and a quick walk around the Premier Pharmacy.
We hadn't shaved and we were driving an old ratty 2019 Lexus RX350. We stayed at the speed limit and tried not to draw attention to ourselves on the way past Elk River.

I heard a few years back they discouraged John Travolta and his airplanes from living in Elk River. Too high profile for the HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina