Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 12:09 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Timely subject - we are coming for an overnight trip this Saturday-Sunday.

What would you recommend for this timing, given CV19, the weather as it looks to be cloudy, and that we have a long drive to and from there, so prefer to be in a hotel with things to walk to near by, or at least a very short drive from a hotel?
Restaurants are very hit and miss with a lot of restrictions on number of patrons, limited menu, distancing, potentially shortened hours from the recent unrest, etc.

Many of my favorite restaurants are still takeout only. A lot of the tourist attractions are only open nominally, if at all. Concerts and bigger nightlife are still virtually shutdown.

I wouldn't drive a long way and I'd definitely make sure that what I wanted to do was open and available before coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 03:24 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,877,400 times
Yeah, would rather spend at least a couple nights, but I have to go there for a non-tourist reason, so making the most our time there

Old 06-16-2020, 07:12 PM

81 posts, read 87,617 times
Visit Greenville, it is mostly open.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:20 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,645,612 times
People come to Asheville for the unique location and exceptional beauty of the area. This is a natural draw for tourists, especially ones from Florida who don’t get to see that kind of beauty. I love it more each time I go there.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:44 AM

6,640 posts, read 4,337,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
People come to Asheville for the unique location and exceptional beauty of the area. This is a natural draw for tourists, especially ones from Florida who don’t get to see that kind of beauty. I love it more each time I go there.
Completely agree. This is the main thing that attracted us 30 years ago. It is, undoubtedly, one of the most scenic areas in the U.S.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:15 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,877,400 times
Can anyone suggest a hotel within walking distance to downtown restaurants that might be (partially) open?

Old 06-22-2020, 05:00 AM

789 posts, read 790,196 times
Repatriot Try google map motels / hotels

To others - When we started to visit WNC 40 years ago it was to escape the heat and humidity and the growing rat races and life style of SWFL and just unwind . But NEVER to visit Asheville or any other small tourist driven city . That never was part of the draw to WNC for us . We moved to a rural county here 23 years ago . Finished raising our girls in a different environment and 23 years later asheville is even less of a draw to visit than it was back on out first visit to the WNC . Its the rural country side , small towns , the trails you can walk or ride a bike on or just get in a car or on a motorcycle and ride the back roads to see whats new ahead but still nothing to do with tourist traps of Asheville .

Old 06-25-2020, 02:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,573,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's part of the draw of WNC. A lot of its economy is based on natural beauty, resources, and things that will still be around after the virus passes.
It’s losing its natural beauty by being trashed by tourists every Summer/Fall.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:52 AM

902 posts, read 811,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It’s losing its natural beauty by being trashed by tourists every Summer/Fall.
+ 1

... And the second home owners from other states who scalp mountain tops for their vacation homes and treat the area as their playground with no regards to maintaining its natural beauty.

Look at how much of a dump Florida is. Can you say gated subdivisions and HOA’s? WNC is quickly catching up and in 20 years will be unrecognizable.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:54 PM

6,640 posts, read 4,337,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
+ 1

... And the second home owners from other states who scalp mountain tops for their vacation homes and treat the area as their playground with no regards to maintaining its natural beauty.

Look at how much of a dump Florida is. Can you say gated subdivisions and HOA’s? WNC is quickly catching up and in 20 years will be unrecognizable.
Once again, we all know you really don't like WNC. I suspect there's more to this story than we know. Many here don't care for east TN, where you now live. There are some very nice gated developments, such as The Cliffs, Kenmure, Champion Hills, Balsam Mountain Preserve, etc., that have been developed with tremendous respect for the natural environment. Clearly, you have never been to one of these developments. WNC will NEVER be Florida. East TN has much more in common with the FL panhandle (ie., few building restrictions, little zoning, plethora of mobile homes, etc.) Not going to discuss HOAs - I'm sure we don't agree..

Last edited by Lizap; 06-26-2020 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina