Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 10:45 PM

6,657 posts, read 4,414,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold978 View Post
I'm a Federal Police Officer; lived in this area since 2011 and I formerly worked at the Asheville VA Police for many years. I had the chance to know many APD and BCSO Officers and Deputies over the years. I now work in Eastern TN, and I can honestly say that there is no way in Heck that I'd ever work for a local department like APD today...... Why? Not because of the rather poor pay and the fact that hardly any of them can afford to live there anymore...... Nope....... it's because they are openly snubbed by their mayor and city council on a regular basis. It's extremely liberal population does NOT support them; and in the Citizen Times you can read how they are demonized every day; by their local media and local leadership. A Police Department can only be effective when both it's leadership and it's population supports it. Of note: it is no small surprise that it is currently on it's FOURTH Police Chief at APD. Oh, I know about the attempts to diversify. The had a Black Chief. An openly Lesbian Chief. Guess what? Both were each ran out on a rail in less than 2 years apiece between them. With things going as they are, I'll bet dollars that the current Chief will last about as long, if not shorter.

If you offered me a 10K cash bonus tax free; I'd never sign with APD........ EVER. Asheville made it's bed years ago. The "weirdness" that they cherish in this city so much comes with another little element that nobody at the Drum Circle likes to talk about: LAWLESSNESS. So...... The way I see it? Asheviile....... you asked for this. You voted for this. You wanted this. So enjoy it. Enjoy the riots. Enjoy the crime. Enjoy the looting. Enjoy the traffic jams and rioters blocking your freeways.

Why?

Because you asked for it.
Asheville is NOT the only place with riots, looting, and traffic jams, and the problems are much severe in many other cities..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 10:48 PM

902 posts, read 817,303 times
Quote:
I'm a Federal Police Officer; lived in this area since 2011 and I formerly worked at the Asheville VA Police for many years. I had the chance to know many APD and BCSO Officers and Deputies over the years. I now work in Eastern TN, and I can honestly say that there is no way in Heck that I'd ever work for a local department like APD today...... Why? Not because of the rather poor pay and the fact that hardly any of them can afford to live there anymore...... Nope....... it's because they are openly snubbed by their mayor and city council on a regular basis. It's extremely liberal population does NOT support them; and in the Citizen Times you can read how they are demonized every day; by their local media and local leadership. A Police Department can only be effective when both it's leadership and it's population supports it. Of note: it is no small surprise that it is currently on it's FOURTH Police Chief at APD. Oh, I know about the attempts to diversify. The had a Black Chief. An openly Lesbian Chief. Guess what? Both were each ran out on a rail in less than 2 years apiece between them. With things going as they are, I'll bet dollars that the current Chief will last about as long, if not shorter.

If you offered me a 10K cash bonus tax free; I'd never sign with APD........ EVER. Asheville made it's bed years ago. The "weirdness" that they cherish in this city so much comes with another little element that nobody at the Drum Circle likes to talk about: LAWLESSNESS. So...... The way I see it? Asheviile....... you asked for this. You voted for this. You wanted this. So enjoy it. Enjoy the riots. Enjoy the crime. Enjoy the looting. Enjoy the traffic jams and rioters blocking your freeways.

Why?

^^^ Exactly. True words from someone who looked to serve their community but their community and its joke of a leadership team were total hypocrites. Our APD friend and his wife say the exact same thing.

Time to swallow the pill that Asheville has over the years made for itself, and admitting that it’s here doesn’t mean your anti-Asheville. Just means that you recognize that the area has drifted far away from its original path, and now only appeals to part time residents who can escape to other states when looting and riots start happening.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
FYI, I do own a lot in Flat Rock and am closing soon on a home in Hendersonville, AND have been visiting WNC for many years, weeks and months at the time. So, I do know much about the area. We all know you hate Asheville - same song, different verse. You moved to an area in eastern TN that pales in comparison, IMO. Even another frequent poster from eastern TN (the area you moved to) agrees with this assessment in many respects. There are many, many people who love it here. Respectfully, I suspect the progressive views of many citizens here have something to do with your hatred of Asheville. You did the right thing to move, but it's unfortunate you continue to trash this unique southern city. Oh, and BTW, I'm not a resident of Florida..
Progressive? You must be joking. Nothing about Asheville is progressive, unless you consider women not shaving their legs or men going into work to be “progressive”.

Trashing and truthful are two totally different things, and sorry that I don’t live with blinders on or with rose colored glasses. That’s the most of an apology that anyone will ever receive from me, so you’re welcome.

The TRUTH is that Asheville sold itself out years ago to outside money and the allure of mountain living. While doing so it ignored the needs of local residents, covered up its flaws like crime stats, crooked leadership and the homeless people living amongst the streets the tourists come to visit ... and forced all of this crap down the throat of its police force, then turned on them too when they didn’t swallow it.

So if that’s “unique” to you you’ll love it there ... for a few years anyway, with a much lowered QOL expectation from when you first arrived. Took us just over a year to see the truth, but YMMV.

... And personally I could care less about what you or another poster has to say about anything here in TN. Not the tribal type, and TBH it sounds like our family surrounds ourselves with better quality people so that’s probably the difference in opinions.

Simply put, folks here in TN call Asheville “The Circus” which sums it up perfectly. Bet you can guess why.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 06-15-2020 at 11:55 PM..

Old 06-16-2020, 12:08 AM

Truthful in so many ways. Need to stop all of the rioting and hate. Time to wake up and stand up and support those hurting right now.

“The white liberal is the worst enemy to America, and the worst enemy to the black man. Let me explain what I mean by the white liberal. In America there is no such thing as Democrat or Republican anymore. In America you have liberals and conservatives. The only people living in the past who think in terms of I’m a Democrat or Republican, is the American Negro. He’s the one that runs around bragging about party affiliation. He’s the one that sticks to the Democrat or sticks to the Republican. But white people are divided into two groups, liberals and conservative. The Democrats who are conservative, vote with the Republicans who are conservative. The Democrats who are liberal vote with the Republicans that are liberal. The white liberal aren’t white people who are for independence, who are moral and ethical in their thinking. They are just a faction of white people that are jockeying for power. The same as the white conservative is a faction of white people that are jockeying for power. They are fighting each other for power and prestige, and the one that is the football in the game is the Negro, 20 million black people. A political football, a political pawn, an economic football, and economic pawn. A social football, a social pawn. The liberal elements of whites are those who have perfected the art of selling themselves to the Negro as a friend of the Negro. Getting sympathy of the Negro, getting the allegiance of the Negro, and getting the mind of the Negro. Then the Negro sides with the white liberal, and the white liberal use the Negro against the white conservative. So that anything that the Negro does is never for his own good, never for his own advancement, never for his own progress, he’s only a pawn in the hands of the white liberal. The worst enemy that the Negro have is this white man that runs around here drooling at the mouth professing to love Negros, and calling himself a liberal, and it is following these white liberals that has perpetuated problems that Negros have. If the Negro wasn’t taken, tricked, or deceived by the white liberal then Negros would get together and solve our own problems. I only cite these things to show you that in America the history of the white liberal has been nothing but a series of trickery designed to make Negros think that the white liberal was going to solve our problems. Our problems will never be solved by the white man. The only way that our problem will be solved is when the black man wakes up, clean himself up, stand on his own feet and stop begging the white man, and take immediate steps to do for ourselves the things that we have been waiting on the white man to do for us. Once we do for self then we will be able to solve our own problems’ "The white conservatives aren't friends of the Negro either, but they at least don't try to hide it. They are like wolves; they show their teeth in a snarl that keeps the Negro always aware of where he stands with them. But the white liberals are foxes, who also show their teeth to the Negro but pretend that they are smiling. The white liberals are more dangerous than the conservatives; they lure the Negro, and as the Negro runs from the growling wolf, he flees into the open jaws of the "smiling" fox. One is the wolf, the other is a fox. No matter what, they’ll both eat you.“

Malcolm X

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 06-16-2020 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-16-2020, 12:31 AM

118 posts, read 280,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
^^^ Exactly. True words from someone who looked to serve their community but their community and its joke of a leadership team were total hypocrites. Our APD friend and his wife say the exact same thing.

Time to swallow the pill that Asheville has over the years made for itself, and admitting that it’s here doesn’t mean your anti-Asheville. Just means that you recognize that the area has drifted far away from its original path, and now only appeals to part time residents who can escape to other states when looting and riots start happening.
Thank you, Vince. I said what I said not out of bitterness or hatred; but out of an honest view of today's local political climate.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:44 AM

118 posts, read 280,540 times
Quote:
Asheville is NOT the only place with riots, looting, and traffic jams, and the problems are much severe in many other cities..
I never said that it was only in one place; yet you dodge the local question at hand. Are you so BLIND that you don't see the crime, disorder, and unrest in your own back yard? The looting that happened? The violence? How about I-240 being repeatedly shut down by rioters? Answer to that, Lizap.........

Old 06-16-2020, 07:28 AM

"According to new data from Zillow and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, residents in the Asheville metro area need to work 51.1 hours per week to afford rent for a one-bedroom apartment. That makes Asheville one of the most expensive midsize metropolitan areas in the U.S. for paying rent."

The City of Asheville and its mayor should be ashamed of themselves. Like I've said many times before, the area long ago sold itself to outside money while abandoning the needs of its local residents and police force. Stating this is not in any way bashing AVL. It's just the plain truth.

I'm sure all of the second home people coming to the area and here on the forum will say something different or simply care less. Pretty pathetic situation, so the looting and destroying of property and downtown businesses that support the local economy and residents makes total sense ...

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 06-16-2020 at 07:53 AM..

Old 06-16-2020, 09:48 AM

52 posts, read 30,136 times
Quote:
Vince, there are just as many and more here who don't share your views about Asheville..
And many and more that do.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Why?

Thank you for your service. Yes, very high turnover of Chiefs and let's not forget the evidence room fiasco awhile back. Don't recall whatever came of that.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Respectfully, I suspect the progressive views of many citizens here have something to do with your hatred of Asheville. You did the right thing to move, but it's unfortunate you continue to trash this unique southern city. Oh, and BTW, I'm not a resident of Florida..
"Suspect" is a strong word here because you implied the poster is simply hating on the area just because of the more popular "progressive" views held in the majority of Buncombe County. That's a bit unfair seeing I don't recall any proof of the poster's ideologies, but if I missed that, then my apologies.

I would think we could go with many different reasons why any one person no longer likes a certain town or state for that matter beyond the way he or she leans politically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina