Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 05:32 PM

902 posts, read 813,405 times

Advertisements

... Yet the hypocrites of Asheville embrace the Biltmore Estate, who's whole foundation and history is based off of the slave labor for a single wealthy white family, but the Vance memorial is the one that's disturbing.

Guess we should take over the estate and tear down the Biltmore House too?

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 06-23-2020 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 05:47 PM

628 posts, read 402,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
... Yet the hypocrites of Asheville embrace the Biltmore Estate, who's whole history is based off of the slave labor for a single family, but the Vance memorial is the one that's disturbing. Guess we should bust on in and tear down the Biltmore House too?
Slave labor? Can you explain. please?

Old 06-23-2020, 05:55 PM

Look it up, or take one of the Biltmore’s $79 specialty tours to see how the Vanderbilt family moved the “undesirable” negros off their 125,000 acre private estate to the area just south of it called Shiloh.

The predominately black Shiloh community is still there, and I’m sure the estate tour guides have a well rehearsed feel good story for their relocation.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Look it up, or take one of the Biltmore’s $79 specialty tours to see how the Vanderbilt family moved the “undesirable” negros off their 125,000 acre private estate to the area just south of it called Shiloh.

The predominately black Shiloh community is still there, and I’m sure the estate tour guides have a well rehearsed feel good story for their relocation.
Well, Biltmore was built circa 1890, so slave labor? Umm, no.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Well, Biltmore was built circa 1890, so slave labor? Umm, no.
Here’s some facts for you since you’re so edge-u-micated on history and civil rights, especially in Asheville.

Take a tour of the Biltmore House and you’ll see that the entertainment areas for their guests (wealthy, famous and WHITE) are mostly void of clocks. This was to ensure their guests enjoyed their time on the Estate without the constraints of time.

Now take a look at the areas behind the scenes for their servants (aka “staff” ... again, well rehearsed) that were all BLACK and held to strict time constraints to meet the needs of the family and their WHITE guests, hence all of the clocks located in the servants areas, hallways and rooms.

Ever wonder why the Biltmore House has so many extra rooms, many of them for the guests of the Vanderbilts? It’s because their wealthy WHITE friends frequently traveled with their BLACK servants ... sorry staff, and the extra rooms were there for them to stay in while at the estate ... separated from the wealthy WHITE folks of course.

Despite being one of the most advanced homes of its time, a majority of the 40 (I believe) or so “staff” rooms had no running water or even heat, except for a handful assigned to those blessed by the wealthy WHITE Vanderbilts.

So maybe educate yourself about the real history behind Asheville and you’ll probably be pretty disgusted.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 06-23-2020 at 06:46 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Here’s a “fact” for you since you’re so edge-u-micated on history and civil rights, especially in Asheville.

Take a tour of the Biltmore House and you’ll see that the entertainment areas for their guests (wealthy, famous and WHITE) are mostly void of clocks. This was to ensure their guests enjoyed their time on the Estate without the constraints of time.

Now take a look at the areas behind the scenes for their servants (aka “staff” ... again, well rehearsed) that were all BLACK and held to strict time constraints to meet the needs of their WHITE guests, hence all of the clocks located in the servants areas, hallways and rooms.

Ever wonder why the Biltmore House has so many extra rooms, many of them for the Vanderbilts guests? It’s because their wealthy WHITE friends frequently traveled with their BLACK servants ... sorry staff, and the extra rooms were for them to stay in while at the estate ... separated from the wealthy WHITE folks of course.

Despite being one of the most advanced homes of its time, a majority of the 40 (I believe) or so “staff” rooms had no running water or even heat, except for a handful assigned to those blessed by the wealthy WHITE Vanderbilts.

So maybe educate yourself about the real history behind Asheville and you’ll probably be pretty disgusted.
Nonetheless, your statement "...the Biltmore Estate, who's whole foundation and history is based off of the slave labor..." is totally, completely and patently false. So your credibility, already thread thin, is shot.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Nonetheless, your statement "...the Biltmore Estate, who's whole foundation and history is based off of the slave labor..." is totally, completely and patently false. So your credibility, already thread thin, is shot.
Picking and choosing your facts and battles to prop up your arguments hardly makes you credible yourself. I’m now confident that you’re one of the all knowing Ashevillians who call hypocrisy home.

Good luck with that Vance memorial as it’s on Biltmore Avenue with the Biltmore corporate office towering over it in big WHITE letters. How fitting and appropriate.

Guess all will be forgotten by tearing down statues and renaming the street MLK Boulevard.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Picking and choosing your facts and battles to prop up your arguments hardly makes you credible yourself. I’m now confident that you’re one of the all knowing Ashevillians who call hypocrisy home.

Good luck with that Vance memorial as it’s on Biltmore Avenue with the Biltmore corporate office towering over it in big WHITE letters. How fitting and appropriate.

Guess it’s time to rename it MLK Boulevard.
LOL, I've picked and chosen nothing. Merely pointed out your obvious errors and lack of knowledge. Again. Don't you get tired of being schooled? LOL

Old 06-23-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
LOL, I've picked and chosen nothing. Merely pointed out your obvious errors and lack of knowledge. Again. Don't you get tired of being schooled? LOL
Sounds like schooling is the least of your strong points.

I simply stated a variety of factual, historical and widely known facts about the Biltmore Estate, a place you seem to embrace and your only response is that I don’t know anything and that I got schooled. Ummm, ok.

Yep, you seem educated ... in a millennial kinda way. Lol.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:12 PM

I’m sure you would have been a welcomed guest at the Biltmore Estate back in the day ... as long as you carried in your masters suitcases and fetched them drinks when the bell sounded then removed yourself from view until needed again.

If that’s not reason enough to have issues with the Estate (as much as the Vance memorial) then you’re as lost as we all think you are. I’m sure the residents of Shiloh share your viewpoint and are proud to have been relocated to an area out of sight of the new wealthy WHITE people down the road. SMH.

Nothing more needs to be said on your part about BLM and civil rights as your arguments have now pivoted to defending the wealthy WHITE Vanderbilts and their BLACK servants just to keep an argument alive.

Not participating in a dumb back and forth so good luck with your continued ignorance.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 06-23-2020 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina