Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 06:07 PM

902 posts, read 812,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBlackQue1988 View Post
Man, where's a bouncer when you need one.
+ 2

I simply don’t acknowledge him / her anymore or anything it posts. Just another blinded by the facts Ashvillian who jumps into attack mode when all else fails. I’m perfectly fine leaving his or her opinions and hate back in AVL with the similarity tempered Asheville Karen or whatever they call her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 06:13 PM

628 posts, read 402,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
+ 2

I simply don’t acknowledge him / her anymore or anything it posts. Just another blinded by the facts Ashvillian who jumps into attack mode when all else fails. I’m perfectly fine leaving his or her opinions and hate back in AVL with the similarity tempered Asheville Karen or whatever they call her.
I don't live in Asheville. And if you'll recall, all this started when you (very strangely) claimed a connection to slavery for Biltmore. You have yet to acknowledge the complete and utter falseness of that claim. Its just so odd that you would make such an obviously false claim, and even odder that you would then go off on someone who pointed out the falseness with a ridiculous stream of crazy accusations and more falsehoods, along with personal attacks. Just bizarre.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:33 PM

902 posts, read 812,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBlackQue1988 View Post
Seriously dude are you still in here stinking up the joint???? Thought you were off somewhere saving black lives or something.
... Or maybe he / she is up in Woodfin protesting the FACT that the town of Woodfin was named after Nicholas W. Woodfin, Buncombe County’s most notorious slave owner.

At one point he claimed ownership to 122 slaves and frequently sold, traded and farmed them out like cattle at the courthouse until his passing in 1876 I believe.

Strangely enough, that’s about 10 years prior to the Vanderbilts arriving in WNC and kicking the negros off their 125,000 acres of property and out of sight into Shiloh. I’m sure the AVL area radically changed its viewpoint on slavery from the late 1870’s to the mid to late 1880’s.

But again these are FACTS and no-one in AVL likes facts ... unless they align with their own self soothing ignorance.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 06-24-2020 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-26-2020, 07:50 PM

355 posts, read 227,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Nonetheless, your statement "...the Biltmore Estate, who's whole foundation and history is based off of the slave labor..." is totally, completely and patently false. So your credibility, already thread thin, is shot.
The wealth of the Vanderbilt family existed before the Biltmore estate was built. But one could make the claim that anyone has ancestors who were somehow tied to slave labor.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
The wealth of the Vanderbilt family existed before the Biltmore estate was built.
Yes, I'm well aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
But one could make the claim that anyone has ancestors who were somehow tied to slave labor.
Perhaps, but that clearly wasn't the point the poster was making. And there's no historical evidence the wealth of the Vanderbilt family came from slavery in any substantive way.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:59 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,125,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
... Yet the hypocrites of Asheville embrace the Biltmore Estate, who's whole foundation and history is based off of the slave labor for a single wealthy white family, but the Vance memorial is the one that's disturbing.
The 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution abolished slavery in the U.S. when it was ratified in 1865. According to the Biltmore Estate website, construction on the building began in 1889. So how is it possible that Biltmore Estate's "whole foundation and history" can be attributed to slave labor? Was the Biltmore family involved in human trafficking after 1865 or something?

Old 06-29-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution abolished slavery in the U.S. when it was ratified in 1865. According to the Biltmore Estate website, construction on the building began in 1889. So how is it possible that Biltmore Estate's "whole foundation and history" can be attributed to slave labor? Was the Biltmore family involved in human trafficking after 1865 or something?
Good luck getting a straight answer to that question. I asked it previously and only got a bunch of nonsensical gobbledygook, along with a heaping dose of personal attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina