Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 09:59 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

The City of Asheville has issues with wasteful spending. Reparations add to wasteful spending. Members of Asheville City Council can pay reparations using their own money, not the City of Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 10:16 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The City of Asheville has issues with wasteful spending. Reparations add to wasteful spending. Members of Asheville City Council can pay reparations using their own money, not the City of Asheville.

So then you can vote your Asheville City Council representative out at the next election.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So then you can vote your Asheville City Council representative out at the next election.
Can't vote them OUT....have to vote someone IN.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:08 AM

355 posts, read 225,986 times
I voted for Barack Obama as president, my liberal white guilt is taken care of.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:18 AM

607 posts, read 554,991 times
The "reparations" would be going to people who were never slaves and paid by with taxes from people who were never slave-owners.

This makes no sense at all.

And to those who think it makes a difference that it's "community investment" and not cash payments to people...it doesn't change a thing. City budgets are finite, allocating funds for one thing deprives them from being used on other things, maybe even a "white" neighborhood in need of investment.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:49 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
My descendants arrived here in the 1910s and 20s
Slavery was abolished in 1855, 155 years ago.
I’m not paying for something through my tax dollars that I had no hand in.
Every nationality that arrived here suffered some for of prejudice. What about paying them reparations. When does it stop.
We already pay out moneys for low income housing and food stamps. This should be temporary until people can get themselves through school and find work. It hasn’t gone in that direction. We have a permanent class of people on the dole.
These projects breed crime and affect all of society negatively.
So no, I’m not for reparations.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:56 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Do you mean this photo from early 20th century Belgium?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ir...aves-us-photo/

Thanks for that poppy....interesting when someone posts something without a link for us to check.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

You don't live in Asheville.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
I voted for Barack Obama as president, my liberal white guilt is taken care of.

Everything I've seen of your posts don't indicate "liberal" at all.

White, yes.

Guilt? Let it go...it can stymie action.

Lastly, pulling a lever or checking a box doesn't begin to cover it.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:01 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
I didn't see anything concrete in there...primarily a few platitudes. Certainly nothing like "reparations."

Ashville is a city of less than 100,000. That's a third the size of Plano, TX, and it's nowhere near as wealthy as Plano. How much "investing" are they going to do in their black community?

Personally, I don't think reparations of any kind are feasible in America anymore primarily because it would be an impracticable task to determine exactly who should get them. Beyond the issue of identification--say if there were a solution to that problem-- if there were to be reparations, they should be for the effects of Jim Crow, not slavery.

If it hadn't been for Jim Crow laws, the effects of slavery would have been overcome within a generation. We still have people living today (me, for instance) who were directly affected by Jim Crow laws. It would be in keeping with precedents to make reparations to only to individuals who were directly effected by government policies.

Nor do I think any such reparations for the effects of Jim Crow on the direct survivors of that era should be made in cash payments. About the best form of theoretical reparations I've heard suggested is the establishment of a trust fund that would provide interest-free loans for continued education and business expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina