Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 08:04 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking at areas to retire and the Asheville area is one consideration. I'm going through the area (along with WV and TN) in a few weeks on a motorcycle road trip. I just came across an article where the city council of Asheville has agreed to "Reparations" for black people. Not judging, as a non-resident that's not my place-but I'm curious what the opinion of the people in the area is.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ic/5441792002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 08:53 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
Does that mean that somewhere down the line, the descendants of Irish debentured servants in the 1700's and 1800's will also receive reparations? They were incredibly poorly treated as children.

This was all 7 generations ago. It's time to bury the hatchet. Forget reparations.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:23 AM

628 posts, read 399,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Does that mean that somewhere down the line, the descendants of Irish debentured servants in the 1700's and 1800's will also receive reparations? They were incredibly poorly treated as children.

This was all 7 generations ago. It's time to bury the hatchet. Forget reparations.
Where do you live?

And its "indentured". Which is not remotely close to slavery.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:46 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
Well, one has to read the article to know how to respond here: It's not payments, it's investments in programs towards home ownership and business/career opportunities.

Which translates into investing in making Asheville better for all.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:13 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Not judging, as a non-resident that's not my place-but I'm curious what the opinion of the people in the area is.
The prevailing opinion of people *inside* of the City of Asheville are in agreement, and I would say that people *outside* of Asheville strongly disagree.

That would be my guess

Old 07-16-2020, 11:39 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Agreed. Post was started by someone outside the city, even outside the state. What was his/her purpose in posting here about this? I think we know the answer..

Old 07-16-2020, 11:53 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

Off topic, but as a descendent of a well-known (Scots) Irish family who settled in Asheville early on, just wanted to shed a little light - my folks came from humble roots -"poor, but respectable" was their self-description - but those roots flourished in Asheville, as the name of a major street and an early mayor can attest.

The family was self-made, not "debentured" servants. The first of the family arrived in 1786 and most of the rest of the family was in WNC by 1790. So no, I don't want or need reparations as one of their many descendants, but slavery reparations are another thing entirely.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:16 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Well, one has to read the article to know how to respond here: It's not payments, it's investments in programs towards home ownership and business/career opportunities.

Which translates into investing in making Asheville better for all.
Agreed, it's allocating money to historically underserved communities instead of what the out-of-touch politicians think is best for the community. It is recognizing that resources and opportunities have not been fairly distributed and announcing an official policy of doing better.

Calling it reparations is a bit much, imo, but the plan itself seems solid.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:56 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post

Calling it reparations is a bit much, imo, but the plan itself seems solid.

Yes....rather clickbait...doesn't tell the story.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:03 PM

28 posts, read 32,654 times
Out of curiosity, why do YOU think they are referring to it as "reparations?" This isn't simply "clickbait" journalism - this is straight from one of the council members:

Councilwoman Sheneika Smith, who is also Black, said during the Council’s meeting that she had heard from residents who challenged the reparations measure.

“A lot of the feedback that we’ve gotten so far by email is that you know, ‘Why should we pay for what happened during slavery?’” Ms. Smith said. “And my pushback against that is reparations is more than restitution for what happened during the trans-Atlantic slave trade. It is a dark evil sin of chattel slavery that is the root of all injustice and inequity that is at work in American life today.”

Also - do you think calling it such is the best way to enact such measures??

Just some food for thought here ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina