Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 02:12 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Kyle, I saw on another forum you have decided to move to Spartanburg. I know you have been interested in WNC. Why did you decide not to move here?
Actually we flipped to Lexington KY. We have an option to transfer our current lease with the same property management company to any of their other properties across the Southeast. Greenville-Spartanburg was appealing but given my partial disability and other factors like transit accessibility and overall economics, Lexington scored best overall. Perhaps one day WNC will be in my wheelhouse, but for the time being sadly not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 09:39 AM

87 posts, read 183,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The last major hurricane to make landfall before Hurricane Ian was Hurricane Michael which made landfall in the lightly populated Mexico Beach area. Ian made landfall in a metro population of nearly 800K which had been the fastest growing MSA in Florida. With tens of thousands displaced and unable to rebuild minus flood insurance, those with damaged homes looking at potentially a couple of years for necessary repairs, those that survived okay but don't wish to experience it again and out of staters formerly contemplating but now scared off there's going to be a very significant population loss seen before after Hurricane Andrew in South Florida and Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Granted people moving to FL aren't always the sharpest tool in the shed, but one has to think this might influence some.

Wow...you said: "Granted people moving to FL aren't always the sharpest tool in the shed, but one has to think this might influence some"....do you normally bash people that have moved to Florida? It's interesting how many people move to Florida per day. BTW...all the homes that are being rebuilt in Fort Myers area will be done so under the new Hurricane Code. Our home withstood 141 mph winds with Hurricane Irma...I'd say that
was a pretty big Hurricane and it never stopped people from relocating here. To build a home here in
our local there is a 2 year waiting period and people are standing in line to do so. The winters here are
the most gorgeous we've ever witnessed. Myself, I thought Edison and Ford were really intelligent people.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:36 AM

6,633 posts, read 4,317,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcollectingdust View Post
Wow...you said: "Granted people moving to FL aren't always the sharpest tool in the shed, but one has to think this might influence some"....do you normally bash people that have moved to Florida? It's interesting how many people move to Florida per day. BTW...all the homes that are being rebuilt in Fort Myers area will be done so under the new Hurricane Code. Our home withstood 141 mph winds with Hurricane Irma...I'd say that
was a pretty big Hurricane and it never stopped people from relocating here. To build a home here in
our local there is a 2 year waiting period and people are standing in line to do so. The winters here are
the most gorgeous we've ever witnessed. Myself, I thought Edison and Ford were really intelligent people.
Not a fan of FL at all. Can’t imagine living somewhere that doesn’t have four seasons.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:57 AM

17,548 posts, read 39,177,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Not a fan of FL at all. Can’t imagine living somewhere that doesn’t have four seasons.
Isn't it great that we all prefer different things? As much as we loved things about Asheville, (used to have a little house in Kenilworh Forest)I just can't tolerate any cold, or even too much hilly topography due to health issues. I am a Florida native, born and raised and very happy here. Warm/hot weather is OK by me. I am currently recuperating from a bad accident and related health issues, but hope for a visit to your beautiful area again some day.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I bash the ones who move to FL, buy or build homes in flood zones or beachfront, forgo flood insurance and collect relief federal dollars for their special privilege. Also how many homes do you suppose are being rebuilt given around 15% of homeowners had flood insurance? It's also interesting to note how many move out of Florida per day (the door swings both ways!)....not to wreck your little bubble world but reality is still kind of a thing.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:53 AM

87 posts, read 183,800 times
Quote:
I bash the ones who move to FL, buy or build homes in flood zones or beachfront, forgo flood insurance and collect relief federal dollars for their special privilege. Also how many homes do you suppose are being rebuilt given around 15% of homeowners had flood insurance? It's also interesting to note how many move out of Florida per day (the door swings both ways!)....not to wreck your little bubble world but reality is still kind of a thing.
Why would you bash people that move anywhere they wish? Does not each state have its own issues such as tornados, droughts, wildfires, volcanoes, flooding, earthquakes etc...yet you chose one state. My guess is your one of those that does not believe in Freedom? BTW...give us some numbers on people entering Florida vs those leaving...you haven't backed up anything you've said, including how many had flood insurance. Also, everyone pays higher costs for their insurance here, much more than the state we left. You truly need to grow up and worry about yourself.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:36 AM

5,461 posts, read 6,069,838 times
Quote:
Why would you bash people that move anywhere they wish? Does not each state have its own issues such as tornados, droughts, wildfires, volcanoes, flooding, earthquakes etc...yet you chose one state. My guess is your one of those that does not believe in Freedom? BTW...give us some numbers on people entering Florida vs those leaving...you haven't backed up anything you've said, including how many had flood insurance. Also, everyone pays higher costs for their insurance here, much more than the state we left. You truly need to grow up and worry about yourself.
Not wishing to get into this debate, but the taxes/government money begin paid to reconstruct the damaged area is coming out of everyone's pocket. I would think a person that doesn't realize that needs to follow their own advice.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
No, each state does not have a litany of natural disasters dealt with on an annual basis. I do fully believe in freedom (who wouldn't?) but also believe in taking responsibility for your own actions and not expecting to be baled out by others for your own bad decision making each/every time. From 2019 to 2020 Florida's net migration was just over 30K. https://tampabayedc.com/news/florida...secutive-year/ People perpetually crow about the 1000 per day that are moving into FL, but manage to ignore the offset 85% or so moving out. Flood insurance data is an easy online search for adults..."Approximately 30 percent of homes in the highest-risk areas for flooding nationwide have flood coverage, according to 2018 data from the Risk Management and Decision Processes Center of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania." Anything else?

Old 11-05-2022, 03:40 PM

68 posts, read 149,276 times
Quote:
No, each state does not have a litany of natural disasters dealt with on an annual basis. I do fully believe in freedom (who wouldn't?) but also believe in taking responsibility for your own actions and not expecting to be baled out by others for your own bad decision making each/every time. From 2019 to 2020 Florida's net migration was just over 30K. https://tampabayedc.com/news/florida...secutive-year/ People perpetually crow about the 1000 per day that are moving into FL, but manage to ignore the offset 85% or so moving out. Flood insurance data is an easy online search for adults..."Approximately 30 percent of homes in the highest-risk areas for flooding nationwide have flood coverage, according to 2018 data from the Risk Management and Decision Processes Center of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania." Anything else?
I too don't want to get involved with this internet bickering but I am confused. The article you linked to said that Florida ranked #1 in net migration for the 5th consecutive year. Doesn't this completely counter the point you were trying to make? Yes, the door swings both ways but net migration factors both and is the highest out of any state. Maybe I'm missing something?

I think the point being made about federal bail outs for natural disasters is a valid one but this is consistent with other natural disasters as well- floods, earthquakes, fires, tornados, etc. I don't know what the answer is but I do feel it's a good discussion that our politicians should be having as soon as they're done screaming and yelling at one another.

Old 11-07-2022, 04:51 AM

2,607 posts, read 2,299,279 times
Great article the the subject of natural disasters.

A climate reckoning for US housing: Too many homes in harm's way, 'too many zeros' in the costs

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e/10615110002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina