Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 03:31 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,188 times

Advertisements

I sold my house in North Asheville in August. I have been looking to purchase a new house for the last two years. I am very familiar with the North Asheville and Weaverville market. This housing market is ridiculous. The first day a house gets listed it has 5 offers and sells over asking. This is in the $600,000-$800,000 price point. These are not even great houses. People are coming here from California, New York, Florida and Chicago, and bidding up these prices. I refuse to complete in this market. Asheville is nice, but definitely not worth these prices. I think eventually this will slow down. This is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 03:43 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
It's like that all over NC in the cities. We are a hot spot for relocators from all over the country. High prices in the Triangle and Charlotte, too.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:50 PM

643 posts, read 669,047 times
It's happening in Denver and much of CO, also western WA. I have kids trying to buy in both locations and it's crazy. Probably happening other places too but those are the ones I know. Friends from Charlotte are trying to move here and can't get a bid in before things are over asking. Low interest rates are driving some of it. I feel so bad for people trying to buy for the first time - they can't get a foothold.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:30 PM

I think this market will change. People relocating from California will be disappointed. Many will leave after a few years, and expensive houses will be hard to sell. Only time will tell.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:47 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I dunno. They've been coming for the past 20 or 30 years and haven't stopped yet.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:48 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
I’m looking in the same location and price point as OD. And I’m experiencing the same frustration. It will be interesting to see how Covid and the election affect the stock and local real estate markets. IMO we are over do for a correction.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I’m looking in the same location and price point as OD. And I’m experiencing the same frustration. It will be interesting to see how Covid and the election affect the stock and local real estate markets. IMO we are over do for a correction.
The houses I have looked at are not worth the prices they are getting. I looked at a house in the Reams Creek Golf Community. It was listed for $725,000 and had 5 offers. It was a very nice house, but not worth 5 offers in one day. I think people are overpaying and these prices won’t be sustainable. Only time will tell. My local friends and realtor don’t agree with me. It may take a while, but this won’t last.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:04 AM

244 posts, read 714,384 times
I tried to beat the system by buying a fixer-upper in Black Mountain and discovered that the greedy local contractors are cashing in on the WNC population influx just like the sellers. I'd bail save for the facts that (a) I would never be able to buy back in and (b) my little house has appreciated by 10% or more in the year that I have owned it just as it sits.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:19 AM

I was planning on buying a new construction house that wasn’t started yet. The builder was adding $25,000 to the price because lumber had more than doubled due to the coronavirus. He said all his costs were up, and he was passing the increase on to the buyer. I decided against it.
I would have been better off keeping my house, but it was an acre and way too much land to take care of, plus it was very secluded and I felt isolated.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:47 AM

339 posts, read 318,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I sold my house in North Asheville in August. I have been looking to purchase a new house for the last two years. I am very familiar with the North Asheville and Weaverville market. This housing market is ridiculous. The first day a house gets listed it has 5 offers and sells over asking. This is in the $600,000-$800,000 price point. These are not even great houses. People are coming here from California, New York, Florida and Chicago, and bidding up these prices. I refuse to complete in this market. Asheville is nice, but definitely not worth these prices. I think eventually this will slow down. This is ridiculous.
It does sound ridiculous and have been reading about the situation here for quite a while now.
Hope the sale of YOUR home did quite well with multiple offers and you getting more than your asking price !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina