Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 12:32 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,300,326 times

Advertisements

It depends on how you define culture, there aren’t any broadway plays, fine dining or fine art museums. The shopping is very limited to small boutiques. As far as the airport, there will never be any non stop flights to international destinations. Asheville feeds to the major hubs and then connects.
Asheville is a good retiree or second home market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 01:52 PM

6,634 posts, read 4,319,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
It depends on how you define culture, there aren’t any broadway plays, fine dining or fine art museums. The shopping is very limited to small boutiques. As far as the airport, there will never be any non stop flights to international destinations. Asheville feeds to the major hubs and then connects.
Asheville is a good retiree or second home market.
Many would disagree with you on dining. I take it you're not aware of Asheville Art Museum. I wouldn't expect Asheville to have international flights. But you're within 3 hours of ATL and 1.5 hours of CLT.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Many would disagree with you on dining. I take it you're not aware of Asheville Art Museum. I wouldn't expect Asheville to have international flights. But you're within 3 hours of ATL and 1.5 hours of CLT.
Fine dining to me is a beautiful room with white tablecloths, where people dress up in evening wear, not casual clothing. I have been to the Asheville Art Museum, and I don’t want to drive 2 hours to get to the Charlotte airport.

But it works for you. It depends on how long you have lived in Asheville and where lived previously. That would influence your definition of culture.
Let’s try and stay on topic, and agree to disagree on this debate.

Last edited by organic_donna; 10-28-2020 at 02:27 PM..

Old 10-28-2020, 02:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,567,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Good luck getting to ATL airport in 3 hours from Asheville.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:33 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,606,950 times
The thing about a regional airport is it is easy to park or get dropped off and go through TSA. Then you are inside security at the international airport. Sometimes the flights aren't that much higher depending on your destination - depends on the pricing structure at the moment. Sometimes you have to get creative and use your FF miles to get to the Intl airport to snag a good deal.

I guess the rich retirees care more about convenience than cost, a frugalista such as myself enjoys hunting for bargains.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:54 AM

My sister comes here from Phoenix and it takes her all day to get here. She connects through Charlotte, and you either have a 50 minute wait or a 3 1/2 hour wait for your connection. You have to change terminals, so 50 minutes is not enough time. And I don’t want to drive two hours each way to pick her up in Charlotte. I don’t like the drive to Charlotte with the mountains through 40 and all the huge semi trucks.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 780,507 times
Any desirable place is on fire right now. Money is cheap and people want to borrow while these low rates last. If you guys think this is just a bubble, you will be very disappointed. Those who keep saying "foreclosures are coming" simply are missing the point -- white collar professionals are not suffering. People who are ready to buy houses are not suffering. People who couldn't afford a house two years ago, will continue not being able to afford it. Sure, there are those who unfortunately lost their jobs and may have to go down... their homes may get foreclosed. Who do you think is going to scoop up that house? Look at who is buying up all these places? I live in Durham and it's absolutely crazy here. Anything decent is getting into huge bidding wars.

While Asheville doesn't have high paying tech jobs it continues to be a VERY desirable place to live. With the current situation, white collar jobs are not bound to a location now. Imagine someone making California money coming to Asheville. The houses look dirt cheap to them.

Another thing for those saying "oh they'll get bored" -- no one comes to Asheville thinking they'll be in Chicago or NYC. They are coming to Asheville because of outdoor experiences, weather and it's vibe. It's not like Asheville can trick you to think that it is a big city. Right when you step a foot into Asheville you know that you are in a cute laid-back mountain town with lots of hiking, kayaking, and craft beer.

Finally, as the Triangle continue growing, you'll start seeing people buying up second homes in WNC. That will always be another driver for RE estate prices. I have lived here in NC only for about 15-16 months, and I already had at least 2 people I know buy a mountain house (not in Asheville per se, but in adjacent towns). Here is the latest job coming to Durham with the average salary of 96K. There will be a lot of people making decent money who'd always want to escape summers and head your way: https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

Old 10-29-2020, 03:26 PM

Interest rates are cheap, but I am making zero interest on my investments in cash, so it doesn’t matter. I am retired and the stock market affects my desire to spend money. And all the unknowns with the election and the virus adds to the stress.
Only time will tell where this Housing market goes, but I don’t think it will continue to be this competitive in the coming years.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:00 PM

6,634 posts, read 4,319,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Any desirable place is on fire right now. Money is cheap and people want to borrow while these low rates last. If you guys think this is just a bubble, you will be very disappointed. Those who keep saying "foreclosures are coming" simply are missing the point -- white collar professionals are not suffering. People who are ready to buy houses are not suffering. People who couldn't afford a house two years ago, will continue not being able to afford it. Sure, there are those who unfortunately lost their jobs and may have to go down... their homes may get foreclosed. Who do you think is going to scoop up that house? Look at who is buying up all these places? I live in Durham and it's absolutely crazy here. Anything decent is getting into huge bidding wars.

While Asheville doesn't have high paying tech jobs it continues to be a VERY desirable place to live. With the current situation, white collar jobs are not bound to a location now. Imagine someone making California money coming to Asheville. The houses look dirt cheap to them.

Another thing for those saying "oh they'll get bored" -- no one comes to Asheville thinking they'll be in Chicago or NYC. They are coming to Asheville because of outdoor experiences, weather and it's vibe. It's not like Asheville can trick you to think that it is a big city. Right when you step a foot into Asheville you know that you are in a cute laid-back mountain town with lots of hiking, kayaking, and craft beer.

Finally, as the Triangle continue growing, you'll start seeing people buying up second homes in WNC. That will always be another driver for RE estate prices. I have lived here in NC only for about 15-16 months, and I already had at least 2 people I know buy a mountain house (not in Asheville per se, but in adjacent towns). Here is the latest job coming to Durham with the average salary of 96K. There will be a lot of people making decent money who'd always want to escape summers and head your way: https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...Pos=1#cxrecs_s
Very well said. Agree completely!

Old 10-30-2020, 12:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,227,585 times
I've lived in WNC for 15 years and I've never gotten bored
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina