Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 12:26 PM

902 posts, read 809,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Interest rates are cheap, but I am making zero interest on my investments in cash, so it doesn’t matter. I am retired and the stock market affects my desire to spend money. And all the unknowns with the election and the virus adds to the stress.
Only time will tell where this Housing market goes, but I don’t think it will continue to be this competitive in the coming years.
This is true, although the properties we own have increased considerably more in value with two plots of land more than doubling, another increasing 80+ percent and our current home 50 percent.

We also sold the first home we bought in JC just a few weeks after closing to a party that was late to the table but wanted the home, and walked away with a good chunk to put towards our current home.

Market demand has been extremely generous to us versus the expected 8% annual return on our investments so we’re not complaining. Like you said though only time will tell if this stands to be true.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 10-30-2020 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 01:22 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,315,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
This is true, although the properties we own have increased considerably more in value with two plots of land more than doubling, another increasing 80+ percent and our current home 50 percent.

We also sold the first home we bought in JC just a few weeks after closing to a party that was late to the table but wanted the home, and walked away with a good chunk to put towards our current home.

Market demand has been extremely generous to us versus the expected 8% annual return on our investments so we’re not complaining. Like you said though only time will tell if this stands to be true.
Interesting - they bought a house in Asheville a couple of years ago, then bought a house in Johnson City, and now live in Erwin, but spend a good bit of their time back in the Asheville area. What does this say?? Seems they don't stay anywhere very long...

Last edited by Lizap; 10-30-2020 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-30-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
It depends on how you define culture, there aren’t any broadway plays, fine dining or fine art museums. The shopping is very limited to small boutiques. As far as the airport, there will never be any non stop flights to international destinations. Asheville feeds to the major hubs and then connects.
Asheville is a good retiree or second home market.
Anyone who considers Asheville to have “culture“ has severely been deprived in life ... Lol.

$7 craft beers, homeless junkies and that mess called the River Arts District is far from being anything closely related to culture, at least for anyone other than those living under a rock their entire lives.

Graffiti walls next to paper recycling mills and a polluted river? Yeah, no thanks ... they can have all that “culture” as they want to call it.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:26 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,086,888 times
Some people just don't stop Please don't feed the trolls.....

Old 10-31-2020, 04:08 AM

244 posts, read 715,069 times
Since WNC generally has an eco-vibe I'm wondering if growth limits will kick in at some point if the population influx and building trends continue. There is already rumbling about this in Black Mountain which has a fairly limited housing stock and little easily buildable vacant land on one hand but high demand on the other. Some of the latter has been satisfied through infill construction, upgrading small old houses in good locations, and de-trailering. People are getting upset that their children can't afford to buy in town, that traffic is getting worse, and that some of the new additions to the population are bringing distasteful manners to the local mix. This isn't FL and many want to make sure it does not become so.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBND View Post
Since WNC generally has an eco-vibe I'm wondering if growth limits will kick in at some point if the population influx and building trends continue. There is already rumbling about this in Black Mountain which has a fairly limited housing stock and little easily buildable vacant land on one hand but high demand on the other. Some of the latter has been satisfied through infill construction, upgrading small old houses in good locations, and de-trailering. People are getting upset that their children can't afford to buy in town, that traffic is getting worse, and that some of the new additions to the population are bringing distasteful manners to the local mix. This isn't FL and many want to make sure it does not become so.
This has been happening for years in the area with zero control over growth by local leadership. Nothing new.

Many coming from Florida or the swamps of Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi consider AVL to be a utopia with “culture“ which is a complete joke.

Kinda like those from New York moving and retiring to FL who think they’re moving to somewhere exotic and tropical then realize after a year or so it’s simply a hot and congested mess of an area to call home, then move halfway back (aka Half Backs) to the area here.

Asheville is much the same, banking on those wanting something “different” while making zero attempts to control its growth. You can see this with what you described, it’s near dead last safety ranking now (defunding AVLPD while not addressing increasing crime) and houses and subdivisions built all over it’s mountain peaks.

Another sell out area and Florida Phase Two in the making, just the mountain version of it.

It’s very sad to see, but the area keeps it’s doors open with zero plan to control the quality of life there.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 10-31-2020 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-31-2020, 05:23 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Quote:
Anyone who considers Asheville to have “culture“ has severely been deprived in life ... Lol.

$7 craft beers, homeless junkies and that mess called the River Arts District is far from being anything closely related to culture, at least for anyone other than those living under a rock their entire lives.

Graffiti walls next to paper recycling mills and a polluted river? Yeah, no thanks ... they can have all that “culture” as they want to call it.
No one goes to Asheville expecting NYC or Chicago levels of culture.

For the size of the metro and given where it’s located, yes, it is a regional cultural center and does better than you may expect.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:55 AM

1,204 posts, read 779,951 times
Quote:
This has been happening for years in the area with zero control over growth by local leadership. Nothing new.

Many coming from Florida or the swamps of Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi consider AVL to be a utopia with “culture“ which is a complete joke.

Kinda like those from New York moving and retiring to FL who think they’re moving to somewhere exotic and tropical then realize after a year or so it’s simply a hot and congested mess of an area to call home, then move halfway back (aka Half Backs) to the area here.

Asheville is much the same, banking on those wanting something “different” while making zero attempts to control its growth. You can see this with what you described, it’s near dead last safety ranking now (defunding AVLPD while not addressing increasing crime) and houses and subdivisions built all over it’s mountain peaks.

Another sell out area and Florida Phase Two in the making, just the mountain version of it.

It’s very sad to see, but the area keeps it’s doors open with zero plan to control the quality of life there.
I came from Boulder (and Denver) and I do not think so. I think it cute and has a very cool vibe. More importantly, it has it's own specific identity. It doesn't want to be something else. It's just Asheville.

Growth is painful everywhere. Boulder has draconian laws about growth and people still complain about congested roads, housing affordability, high prices, lack of parking at trail heads, stupid drunk college kids, homeless, weed smell, etc. Just because people complain about this doesn't mean other people stop moving there. Same in Asheville.

I am not going to get into this with you, cause I looked at some of your posts about Asheville and you seem very bitter. I do not know how and why Asheville hurt you, but I sometime letting the past go does a lot of good things to person's mental health. Most importantly it lets you see the beauty of your present. Maybe you should go and find peace with what you have right now. Seems like you spent a lot of energy hating Asheville, instead of loving Tennessee.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I came from Boulder (and Denver) and I do not think so. I think it cute and has a very cool vibe. More importantly, it has it's own specific identity. It doesn't want to be something else. It's just Asheville.

Growth is painful everywhere. Boulder has draconian laws about growth and people still complain about congested roads, housing affordability, high prices, lack of parking at trail heads, stupid drunk college kids, homeless, weed smell, etc. Just because people complain about this doesn't mean other people stop moving there. Same in Asheville.

I am not going to get into this with you, cause I looked at some of your posts about Asheville and you seem very bitter. I do not know how and why Asheville hurt you, but I sometime letting the past go does a lot of good things to person's mental health. Most importantly it lets you see the beauty of your present. Maybe you should go and find peace with what you have right now. Seems like you spent a lot of energy hating Asheville, instead of loving Tennessee.
Which is YOUR perspective and one of many here - all being valid in their own way. Thank you.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:51 AM

6,633 posts, read 4,315,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post

Growth is inevitable. You've got a highly desirable city and area. It IS going to grow. Some will like it, some won't. If you don't like it, move, if you can. At least Vince moved, but his frequent posts about Asheville, and visits back to Asheville don't convince me he's happy in Erwin, TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina