Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 03:01 PM

33 posts, read 39,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Our driveway isn’t steep. All roads to our home are paved. (That was one of our must haves, no gravel roads). We have a large flat parking area as well as large garage.

The problem with large trucks is it the many hairpin curves up the mountain to our community. There is a sign near the bottom explaining that the large trucks are prohibited. It is impossible to miss having flags sticking off two sides. Occasionally a trucker will ignore thinking they could take a shortcut. They never make it up. They have to be towed out. They end up with huge tickets from the sheriffs department.
Same issue in Smugglers Notch Vermont many times a year....quite something watching them get extricated from the hair pins!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 03:04 PM

Thank you motordavid, great info!

We are still waiting to hear if we got the house....they had 10 offers to go thru. Either way is great for us...always another house and maybe without the challenging drive. Will keep you all posted!!!

Old 03-09-2021, 07:43 PM

Well, we didn't get the house. The search continues!

Old 03-09-2021, 11:12 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,317,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza899vt View Post
Well, we didn't get the house. The search continues!
Sorry to hear this. I do think you are on the right track with the Black Mountain area. Best of luck in your continuing search!

Old 03-10-2021, 05:53 AM

59 posts, read 61,715 times
Ugh! Sorry! You will find the right one soon!

Old 03-17-2021, 05:17 PM

77 posts, read 213,930 times
I suggest renting for a year or so...so you know for sure what you're getting in to.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:35 PM

Ah well, last visit we fell in love and now have a contract to purchase a beautiful house on 12 acres with views and trails in little Mill Spring. Seems like a very quiet place to live and get to know the folks in your community. Thanks so much for all your help. I will post a new thread with a few questions maybe you can help with.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:48 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,317,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza899vt View Post
Ah well, last visit we fell in love and now have a contract to purchase a beautiful house on 12 acres with views and trails in little Mill Spring. Seems like a very quiet place to live and get to know the folks in your community. Thanks so much for all your help. I will post a new thread with a few questions maybe you can help with.
Congratulations! I know you are going to love living in WNC.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:38 AM

59 posts, read 61,715 times
That is great news! Congrats!

Old 04-02-2021, 06:03 PM

68 posts, read 120,160 times
We've plunked down in our RV on 64 just south of Franklin in an RV park. Hubs started a new position in Cashiers this week. We think this will be the last two years with his company before retirement so we're pretty sure we won't be settling in the area.

I'm looking toward north Georgia. Being originaly from the Adirondacks we missed the mountains when we moved to central NC but I'm not sure I want to be isolated at this age (55+). Living on the plateau seems like it would be beautiful but somewhat difficult.

Our home in central NC sold in 8 hours on "coming soon" so we had to make decisions quickly. Had a hell of a time finding a storage unit for our furniture- got lucky and got a brand new unit (10'x30'). Looks like we'll be staying in the RV for a couple of years. We did it when we moved from NY to NC- it's an adventure! The real estate prices are too high for us but we'll enjoy the area for the time we're here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina