Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 08:38 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebeh View Post
Update on our search for a home in the Asheville area - When we were in Black Mountain, we spoke to some locals about real estate, and found a great agent who's a long time resident of the area. He hooked us up with a couple of reputable small builders, and things are looking really favorable for building a small, affordable (for that area) custom home. One of them even has some plots that he might be willing to part with. Build time these days for a 1000 sq ft house is about 8-12 months. So if you've got a couple of years and are willing to do the research, it's definitely doable!

Lizap - As far as the appeal of Black Mountain vs the other small towns in the area, I can try and describe it from our perspective. The higher peaks surrounding the town are really unique and beautiful to us, since we have always lived in a relatively flat area. We loved the rollercoaster like roads there, with all of the twisty turns and the varied architecture, and the absolutely gorgeous gardens. Visually it's like a little adventure around every corner, and that is a major draw for us. We're looking for a place that has a distinct activity/social hub, and Lake Tomahawk and the lively town center ticked off those boxes for us - the town is so small that we could easily hop on our electric bikes and be there in minutes. We want to live in a smaller place where we can get to know our neighbors, but also like the fact that it's a tourist town where we can meet diverse people from other places. We're big foodies and cook at home a lot, but when we go out to eat we tend to frequent the same independently owned restaurants (we almost never eat fast food or at chains so won't miss those). We're also into arts & crafts, and the town seems to support that. As far as shopping, we rarely go to physical stores except for groceries and order everything online. If that's not possible in Black Mountain, then Asheville is right down the road if we need anything (and for medical things as well). We also don't travel for work, and the airport is pretty close by Texas standards.

If we were younger, had kids or different interests, Black Mountain might not be for us. But as things stand right now, it seems like a good fit. We'll be back out there in December for an extended stay to get a better feel for the town.
Some of the attributes cited could also be said about a number of WNC’s small towns, including Waynesville, Weaverville, Burnsville, Sylvia, Franklin, Hendersonville, Brevard, Maggie Valley, Dillsboro, and Saluda. Each small town in this region is unique in its own right. it’s a real joy to be able to visit each of these beautiful towns. I agree towns like Waynesville, Black Mountain, Maggie Valley, and Franklin have relatively tall mountains close in.

Last edited by Lizap; 08-06-2022 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 10:05 AM

Deleted..

Old 11-29-2022, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
Quote:
Update on our search for a home in the Asheville area - When we were in Black Mountain, we spoke to some locals about real estate, and found a great agent who's a long time resident of the area. He hooked us up with a couple of reputable small builders, and things are looking really favorable for building a small, affordable (for that area) custom home. One of them even has some plots that he might be willing to part with. Build time these days for a 1000 sq ft house is about 8-12 months. So if you've got a couple of years and are willing to do the research, it's definitely doable!

Lizap - As far as the appeal of Black Mountain vs the other small towns in the area, I can try and describe it from our perspective. The higher peaks surrounding the town are really unique and beautiful to us, since we have always lived in a relatively flat area. We loved the rollercoaster like roads there, with all of the twisty turns and the varied architecture, and the absolutely gorgeous gardens. Visually it's like a little adventure around every corner, and that is a major draw for us. We're looking for a place that has a distinct activity/social hub, and Lake Tomahawk and the lively town center ticked off those boxes for us - the town is so small that we could easily hop on our electric bikes and be there in minutes. We want to live in a smaller place where we can get to know our neighbors, but also like the fact that it's a tourist town where we can meet diverse people from other places. We're big foodies and cook at home a lot, but when we go out to eat we tend to frequent the same independently owned restaurants (we almost never eat fast food or at chains so won't miss those). We're also into arts & crafts, and the town seems to support that. As far as shopping, we rarely go to physical stores except for groceries and order everything online. If that's not possible in Black Mountain, then Asheville is right down the road if we need anything (and for medical things as well). We also don't travel for work, and the airport is pretty close by Texas standards.

If we were younger, had kids or different interests, Black Mountain might not be for us. But as things stand right now, it seems like a good fit. We'll be back out there in December for an extended stay to get a better feel for the town.

Hi there,

I wonder if you could pass on the name of your agent? I tried to DM you but, for some reason, I couldn't. Thanks so much,
Claudia

Old 12-06-2022, 06:55 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Quote:
Yeah, we realize that it will probably be hard to find a builder for that small of a house. We considered the tiny house community in Flat Rock (Simple Life) because the lifestyle looks like something we'd really enjoy, but they are way too small for us. We'd have to buy 2! We've also been looking at Compact Cottages, the Asheville builder (not the tiny home builder) who specializes in affordable small homes. Their plans start at ~750 sq ft, and they'll build on your land. I'm also absolutely in love with Asheville architect Rusafova Markulis' 950 sq ft Blue House. I've been scanning Zillow for a year now, and somewhat affordable land lots and small homes are definitely out there.... I just don't have a sense for whether they're in a good spot that meets our needs.

My original question was really more about the feel, personality and how vibrant the different neighborhoods and towns are around Asheville, which is hard to truly determine unless you've lived/stayed in the area. Are there areas which look good on paper, but are in reality dead zones because everyone drives elsewhere for community engagement (this describes any number of TX suburbs - you'd never know people were living in them except for the cars going in and out). I'm mostly trying to narrow it down to a few areas for when we visit in June.

Lizap - Thank you for the Beverly Hanks website. It was very helpful!
I have bought and sold 4 houses in Asheville since 2015. I would not buy or build a small house. Resale value will be terrible. I had a hard time selling a two bedroom house that was 1400 square feet. It actually can cost less to build a larger home, especially if it’s a two story. I wouldn’t build less than 2,000 square feet. I would rather build a more modest house, than give up the square footage. Instead of building, you would be much better off buying an existing home that needs work. You can gut the place and put in your own touches. It would cost a lot less and probably be a better location.

Last edited by organic_donna; 12-06-2022 at 07:14 AM..

Old 12-10-2022, 02:43 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I have bought and sold 4 houses in Asheville since 2015. I would not buy or build a small house. Resale value will be terrible. I had a hard time selling a two bedroom house that was 1400 square feet. It actually can cost less to build a larger home, especially if it’s a two story. I wouldn’t build less than 2,000 square feet. I would rather build a more modest house, than give up the square footage. Instead of building, you would be much better off buying an existing home that needs work. You can gut the place and put in your own touches. It would cost a lot less and probably be a better location.
Exactly with the emphasis on a better location in what is likely an established neighborhood/area. At around 50K-60K one can replace plumbing, electrical. windows and a roof.

Old 12-13-2022, 09:08 AM

11 posts, read 14,971 times
Hi everyone, just thought I'd give an update on my original post. I just closed on a small plot of land right in the middle of Black Mountain, less than a mile from Lake Tomahawk. It was exactly what I was looking for and even has a view! I've started working with a firm to storyboard ideas and will be permanently moving next summer. I'm aging in place so this is probably my last home.

Some words of advice to those of you searching for real estate - (1) Give yourself plenty of time for planning, research and travel to understand the markets, pricing and to know what you want. The Asheville market is not the same as the Black Mountain market or the Hendersonville market. If you're interested in buying land, talk to builders during your research phase. This initial phase took me over a year. (2) Review the listings on a daily basis. (3) Work with an agent that has intimate knowledge of the towns you're interested in. It makes it a lot easier if they "know people" or actually lived there. (4) Be aware of stormwater management. This is not really a thing where I currently live, but I've found out it's pretty important when you live in the mountains. (5) If you're in another state, be ready to jump on a plane last minute to view a desirable listing. Looking at pics on the internet is no substitute for seeing it in real life.

A big thank you to everyone for your input. I can't wait to move to the area and be a member of the community!

Old 12-13-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone, just thought I'd give an update on my original post. I just closed on a small plot of land right in the middle of Black Mountain, less than a mile from Lake Tomahawk. It was exactly what I was looking for and even has a view! I've started working with a firm to storyboard ideas and will be permanently moving next summer. I'm aging in place so this is probably my last home.

Some words of advice to those of you searching for real estate - (1) Give yourself plenty of time for planning, research and travel to understand the markets, pricing and to know what you want. The Asheville market is not the same as the Black Mountain market or the Hendersonville market. If you're interested in buying land, talk to builders during your research phase. This initial phase took me over a year. (2) Review the listings on a daily basis. (3) Work with an agent that has intimate knowledge of the towns you're interested in. It makes it a lot easier if they "know people" or actually lived there. (4) Be aware of stormwater management. This is not really a thing where I currently live, but I've found out it's pretty important when you live in the mountains. (5) If you're in another state, be ready to jump on a plane last minute to view a desirable listing. Looking at pics on the internet is no substitute for seeing it in real life.

A big thank you to everyone for your input. I can't wait to move to the area and be a member of the community!
Congratulations! This is wonderful news. I know you’ll be very happy in Black Mountain!

Old 12-14-2022, 06:14 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieLeigh View Post
We live in Highland Lake Village in Flat Rock. It has duplexes and single-family homes on smaller lots. All homes have front porches and there are sidewalks on one side of every street. We have a greenway with a creek, a short trail, and bridges (which my home abuts). It is a lovely place with good neighbors and lots of events. Yesterday a group of us took a nature hike at nearby Holmes National Park and then shared a picnic lunch. We also have street parties, spring and Christmas garden and home tours, and other friendly events. The home prices are going up, but you still might find something in your price range. Unfortunately for buyers, most of the homes are sold by word of mouth, and none these days last very long if listed publicly.

If doing a google street view, be aware a lot of the taping was done on a very dreary day and years ago, so an in-person visit would allow you to see the truly pretty view. There is a newer section called The Farm on larger lots, but the prices are way above $500,000 although originally advertised "starting in the mid 400s". That didn't last long if at all. Luckily Henderson County has a very easy-to-use online property search website so you can do some deeper research if so inclined.

I love this neighborhood and think it is nicer than any I've seen in the area. Plus it's across the street from Highland Lake Resort with the fabulous Seasons restaurant (where a group of us neighbors will eat lunch tomorrow) and vacation rentals, a goat farm, and interesting activities for gardening and education. And The Park at Flat Rock is less than a mile away and our neighborhood was involved in it being created from a former golf course. It's a wonderful place to walk and picnic.

Best of luck on your search for a new home as you've made a good choice to investigate WNC.
I looked up your community and it looks lovely. The houses on the lake are already sold out. I sent an email to your sales agent. I would like to come and tour the community. Is there a way to find out about resales that don’t reach the MLS? If you hear of anything let me know.
I love my condo, but South Asheville is too congested.
Donna

Old 12-15-2022, 08:20 AM

85 posts, read 94,530 times
Quote:

I sent you a DM with a question. Hoping you don't mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina