Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 06:30 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carachel2 View Post
Also to add:
-Asheville people are lovely and kind
I've lived in both places for an extended period and this is one of the biggest differences you will encounter. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Travelers Rest is a nice area and so is downtown Greenville. Congratulations and good luck!

Last edited by beckycat; 04-04-2023 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 07:09 AM

81 posts, read 87,381 times
The only problem with Greenville area vs WNC is the heat. I hope you have been there in the summer…

Old 04-09-2023, 09:53 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatwood View Post
The only problem with Greenville area vs WNC is the heat. I hope you have been there in the summer…
We wanted to live ‘in’ the mountains, not ‘near’ the mountains.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:06 AM

44 posts, read 41,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We wanted to live ‘in’ the mountains, not ‘near’ the mountains.

Originally this was us too! But the reality of the dumpy homes, junked up neighbor houses and poor medical care and access AND inaccessible homes really made us think and reflect. If we had a million dollar budget maybe we would feel differently!

Old 04-10-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally this was us too! But the reality of the dumpy homes, junked up neighbor houses and poor medical care and access AND inaccessible homes really made us think and reflect. If we had a million dollar budget maybe we would feel differently!
Not sure of the exact locations you looked, but you must have bypassed the areas south, east, and southeast of Hendersonville. These are upscale, easily accessible areas with expensive, well-cared for homes; just the opposite of ‘dumpy and junked up’. While medical care could be better in WNC, I’ve also found the same in the Greenville area.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Not sure of the exact locations you looked, but you must have bypassed the areas south, east, and southeast of Hendersonville. These are upscale, easily accessible areas with expensive, well-cared for homes; just the opposite of ‘dumpy and junked up’. While medical care could be better in WNC, I’ve also found the same in the Greenville area.
The Laurel Park area is lovely and was a possibility.
But I stand by my comments that we have found minimal availability of homes in the $600K or less range. And the ones that are available in that range need work or have other issues.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:27 PM

Quote:
The Laurel Park area is lovely and was a possibility.
But I stand by my comments that we have found minimal availability of homes in the $600K or less range. And the ones that are available in that range need work or have other issues.
Without question, houses are less expensive tin upstate SC…

Old 04-12-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Edit: meant to say ‘areas south, southwest, west pof Hendersonville’.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatwood View Post
Circling back since we've just finished our first "summer" in TR. I'm sure to locals this feels hot. To someone from TX (which has had daily temps ranging from 100-110) ....this is amazing and not "hot" in any way. When you can bike on the Swamp Rabbit trail in AUGUST and the high is 88---it's a dream. When you can sit on your screened in porch in JULY and it's comfortable...it's a dream.

It's warm *sometimes* with a few days of temps in the low 90s.
But it's not "hot." Hot is weeks and weeks of 100+ temps.

Big big difference. And we are literally an hour from Hendersonville, Lake Lure, Brevard, Gorges Park and so many waterfall hikes it's amazing. We feel we have the best of both worlds---better quality housing in a house where we can age in place, better retail, small community feel in a great neighborhood and much better healthcare.

Old 09-10-2023, 05:44 AM

5,456 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Circling back since we've just finished our first "summer" in TR. I'm sure to locals this feels hot. To someone from TX (which has had daily temps ranging from 100-110) ....this is amazing and not "hot" in any way. When you can bike on the Swamp Rabbit trail in AUGUST and the high is 88---it's a dream. When you can sit on your screened in porch in JULY and it's comfortable...it's a dream.

It's warm *sometimes* with a few days of temps in the low 90s.
But it's not "hot." Hot is weeks and weeks of 100+ temps.

Big big difference. And we are literally an hour from Hendersonville, Lake Lure, Brevard, Gorges Park and so many waterfall hikes it's amazing. We feel we have the best of both worlds---better quality housing in a house where we can age in place, better retail, small community feel in a great neighborhood and much better healthcare.
You really hit the nail on the head with your comparisons and personal toleration to heat in general regardless of where you locate.

We lived most of our lives in NC at altitudes of 900 feet or less. 90 degrees in the summer was the expected norm, rarely into the 100s! I would work in the yard, do DYI stuff on our vehicles and home, even ride my bike for hours in the heat of June, July and August.
Almost a decade ago we bought a home in WNC. It is over 5000 feet in elevation. We seldom see temps of 75-80 degrees in mid-summer.
We sold our flatland house, bought some property in the Mooresville, NC area and contracted to have a new house built. During the two year process of building the new house, we lived full time in our mountain house.
Now, when it gets into the 80s at the new house, I'm packing my toothbrush and heading to the Mt. house.
I can no longer tolerate the heat.
You, coming from the more heat oppressive environment of Tx., find Traveler's Rest a perfect location, and from the looks of things so do many other people.

Aren't you glad you did your due diligence? Good luck going forward in your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina