Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 01:58 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times

Advertisements

Agree with DLM2000...
It will require some digging and on the ground 'time' to determine what impact AVL planes arriving and departing will have on their potential building site.

And, everyone will have a different comfort zone/noise level situ...

Fwiw, I have played golf at Broadmoor, just south of AVL, several times and often the planes are literally overhead with 'rolling' waves of 'wind' coming off the wings.

Have also spent some time in the former BMW dlr lot close by, and at the Lowes, et al shopping center just north: at any given time the landings/departures are readily apparent visually and auditory.

No idea of the OP's land search in 'South Asheville', but a look at GOOG maps may offer some idea of their intended 'place' vs proximity to airport.

Hellsbells, even at our high elevation Mtn home the AVL commercial jets and the military planes that 'skim' our tree tops offer some 'noise' and exciting plane spotting, and our Waynesville mtn house is 40 miles from AVL by road and probably 30+ as the planes fly.

Not a prob for us, but my point is the planes are 'up there' and plane traffic is back to normal post Covid, and increasing by the month, vis a vis more AVL flights.

My 50Cts.
GL, mD

https://goo.gl/maps/7Hsd3U5td82LYoog7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 07:15 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
As people have mentioned, the big issue is going to be the traffic on the interstate. We went to Greenville around 3 on Saturday - it was busy, but not slowed, then. It was still quite busy after 10 or so when we came back. I would hate to be commuting through that or having to go through it with any regularity.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:31 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As people have mentioned, the big issue is going to be the traffic on the interstate. We went to Greenville around 3 on Saturday - it was busy, but not slowed, then. It was still quite busy after 10 or so when we came back. I would hate to be commuting through that or having to go through it with any regularity.
I guess it depends on what you’re used to. We go to Asheville (from Hendersonville) frequently and relative to many of the places we’ve lived/visited (e.g., Atlanta, Houston, Baton Rouge, Los Angeles), the traffic is minuscule. It will slow down in places and then pick back up; I suspect this is caused by people slowing down because of the construction. When it’s completed, I doubt there will be any problem. It does seem like it’s taking a long time to complete though.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:21 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I guess it depends on what you’re used to. We go to Asheville (from Hendersonville) frequently and relative to many of the places we’ve lived/visited (e.g., Atlanta, Houston, Baton Rouge, Los Angeles), the traffic is minuscule. It will slow down in places and then pick back up; I suspect this is caused by people slowing down because of the construction. When it’s completed, I doubt there will be any problem. It does seem like it’s taking a long time to complete though.
IIRC, parts of the interstate have been under construction for at least five years. I used to go to Greenville at least once a month - it was bad then. The biggest issue is that the construction going for so many miles.

No, it's nothing like Atlanta traffic, but it's bad for the area.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:00 PM

643 posts, read 669,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilorban View Post
Hello,

I am relocating to North Carolina. Wanting to purchase land in South Asheville area. I know the airport is nearby, what is the plane traffic like now a days? Trains are listed as a possible source of noise through out Western North Carolina as well on the real estate contract. Any help is appreciated.
Thank You,
Terri

Atlanta is a world unto itself in terms of traffic - no comparison. The issue raised by the OP was not vehicle traffic though, it's air traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina