Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 786 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating moving from Colorado to NC. Love Asheville. I will not be working. I like cultural and outdoor activities. Which would you recommend? Waynesville, Hendersonville, Brevard (maybe too small as I like a city vibe? Or is there another place I should check out? Appreciate your imut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2023, 08:54 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Asheville dominates the city vibe obviously compared to the others and culturally as well. Hendersonville has gained some steam in recent years due to its close proximity to Asheville and lower cost of living. Brevard is a seductress of a town that weirdly carries a touch of a city vibe, with a small but growing creative community. Waynesville is nice enough but falls short in comparison in the city vibe category especially.

Old 09-02-2023, 09:02 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
They all have something to offer. Have you visited here? I encourage you to come for a visit, if you haven't done so. Asheville has a younger vibe and more cultural activities than the other towns you mentioned. They are all close to outdoor activities.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:41 AM

25,740 posts, read 12,824,670 times
If you are Single, forget Brevard. I'm not, but I've been in Brevard for 5 weeks now, & it's a single's desert. Brevard is Mayberry RFD, & nightlife is limited. Brevard is clean & quaint, but only a few nice restaurants, & 1 regular live music nightspot. It's mostly closed by 10pm, & most nice restaurants close Sunday/Monday. They have a very nice symphony concert venue that mixes in other genres a bit, but not my kinda music. Its close to good biking & hiking....nice friendly bustling health & racquet club....kudos to the owner/s.

I never got up to Waynesville...too far North for me since I'm driving from/to SW Florida. I can't help you there.

I think you'll like Asheville the best. I wasn't going to go, but friends stayed there, and invited me over twice (so I'm no expert, but have a current & fresh perspective).

Asheville's cultural goings on, nightlife, & architecture makes it quite interesting...for me, it's the right size city...not too small, or big. Easier to meet people there than the smaller towns. Use the online crime maps to help guide you where to stay, or live. Be aware if downtown by yourself after dark, & avoid parking garages. I saw just 1 police officer in 2 full days there, & quite a few zombie's.

Hendersonville's 2x as large as Brevard, so you should spend time there, because you may still feel it has the small town vibe. I hated how they charge to park everywhere downtown, but that's just a peeve of mine. I parked at the visitor's center which is free..but limited. Their health & racquet club is cliquish, & lacks parking. More restaurants/nightlife tan Brevard, but still closes up early except Fri-Sat.

To live in the smaller towns, its helpful to have interests & activities that will help you meet others...if you are a social animal like me. My active pursuits put me in touch with dozens of nice peeps in Brevard, which saved the day for me.

The hiking, biking, waterfalls, mountains are all very good. The Mountains will seem smaller to you than Colorado's, & its not as rugged. I've only seen Deer once, which seems odd. I guess the bear thin out the deer. Not as much wildlife as I thought there'd be. I see more in Florida.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:00 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Per City-Data statistics, the median ages for some WNC towns are:

Asheville - 41.6
Brevard - 47.7
Waynesville - 48.1
Hendersonville - 51.7
Black Mountain - 58.5

All are above the state average, but Asheville is close. As you can see, this area of WNC is predominately populated by older people. This demographic has an impact on the types of cultural activities in the area.

I have a friend who lives in Straus Park in Brevard who often sees bears and deer. We live about 15 minutes southwest of Hendersonville on the Brevard side and this area is abundant with deer, turkey, and bear (although we don't see them as often). There are many options for outdoor activities (e.g., hiking, biking) in the area. You may not see much wildlife during such activities, but they are definitely here.

As the previous poster indicated, Asheville is going to be your best bet for nightlife and cultural activities. Also, keep in mind, outside of Asheville, these are small mountain towns, with their own unique Appalachian flavor. As you're likely aware, we're at a lower elevation and much more green/lush. We have mild winters as well as mild summers.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-03-2023 at 10:28 PM..

Old 09-03-2023, 03:05 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If you are Single, forget Brevard. I'm not, but I've been in Brevard for 5 weeks now, & it's a single's desert. Brevard is Mayberry RFD, & nightlife is limited. Brevard is clean & quaint, but only a few nice restaurants, & 1 regular live music nightspot. It's mostly closed by 10pm, & most nice restaurants close Sunday/Monday. They have a very nice symphony concert venue that mixes in other genres a bit, but not my kinda music. Its close to good biking & hiking....nice friendly bustling health & racquet club....kudos to the owner/s.
Brevard was turning the corner on a younger singles scene pre-pandemic in the area west of downtown in the Brevard Lumberyards project and surrounding area with a live concert venue, microbreweries and restaurants aimed at a younger crowd. Current businesses include 185 King (a music venue/bar) https://www.185kingst.com/ Noblebrau Brewing https://noblebrau.com/ the Morning Social Diner https://www.morningsocialbrevard.com/ Up Country Brewing https://upcountrybrewing.com/ Underground Salvage Company https://www.facebook.com/undergroundsalvageco Pisgah Day Ventures https://www.pisgahdayventures.com/ and a vintage guitar shop https://www.area22guitars.com/

The Brevard Lumberyards itself is impressive but currently in use only as an events venue. Perhaps now that businesses are beginning to flourish again it will resume its original purpose as an arts/creative space venue.

There's also a sizable cycling community comprised of younger folks who call Brevard home. https://www.strava.com/clubs/6072

Old 09-03-2023, 03:22 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
I never got up to Waynesville...too far North for me since I'm driving from/to SW Florida. I can't help you there.

beach43ofus posts are decent thumbnail(s) from a visitor spending a monthish in the mtns.

But, our EscapeWinterHouse in North Venice to our Waynesville Mtn home: 660 miles, and same FL addy to Brevard town center: 660 miles, per Goog maps.

OP from Denver needs to do a trip or two to western NC, spend some time in the areas he/she narrows down.

Otoh, every good place here is getting 'full' over the past two plus decades we have been here, just like every 'good place' to consider/move to is in the US, imo.

GL, mD

Old 09-04-2023, 05:27 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
If the OP is coming from Denver, and wants any kind of urbanity (doesn't want a "small town") vibe, I don't see how anything could be recommended other than the city of Asheville.

I'm coming from a city of about 50,000, though it straddles a state line, so technically, two separate cities. In saying that, I thought Hendersonville would work well for me based on a number of factors. Outside the downtown, I found it too small, and while it's reasonably close to south Asheville for the bigger shopping needs, there were some things lacking that I wanted "closer to home" that I have now.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:03 PM

25,740 posts, read 12,824,670 times
What is West Asheville like? I read its trendy, & on the upswing.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-04-2023 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 09-04-2023, 11:03 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
What is West Asheville like? I read its trendy, & on the upswing.
Urban, relatively high walkability for the area, good restaurants and bars, some interesting shops and businesses.

I don’t think you’d be interested in it at all. Cool place to hang out, but even I wouldn’t want to live there.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-05-2023 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina