Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 05:27 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Snow Birds leave the cold North for Florida each Winter.

What do you call Floridians who leave the Sunshine state each Summer to travel to cooler places up North...like Western NC? Is there a nickname for us?

How about Solar Bears?
They are called "Sunbirds."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 06:54 AM

20 posts, read 8,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Or "Half backs"

Old 09-12-2023, 08:16 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock Deux View Post
Or "Half backs"
I think 'halfback' refers to people who move to FL from the Northeast, don't like it and move halfway back. Don't think it refers to seasonal residents.

Old 09-13-2023, 10:50 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
I regret not getting to Waynesville or Flat Rock. A friend wanted me to ck out Boone for him, & I never got there either. I didn't want to spend too much time driving once I got settled into Brevard.

Glad I got to see The Biltmore, and Asheville. Biltmore is a must see, & Asheville is too when in Western NC.

I wish H'ville didn't go to paid parking in all of the downtown area. It's a pet peeve of mine. I parked at the visitors center, & got luck to find one of the last spots. I'm suprised the store owners went along w/ that. That could prevent me from renting there for 1-3 months, but that's just me. If they did an annual pass for $50, I'd do that. I failed to ask about those options at the visitor's center.

H'ville isn't the best place for the sport I play unfortunately, but that could change in 11 months when I plan to return to the area, if new facilities are added.

I'm back in the rat race world now (Atlanta) visiting family, & already miss my Mountain hideaway.
I have been through Waynesville a few times and liked it. You just have to be fine with the smaller town atmosphere - good and bad comes with that.

Glad to hear you liked Asheville - a lot of the impressions and stereotypes that go around are exaggerated and/or avoidable. One thing I'd recommend is to at least try the things that make it unique - the local food scene, farmer's markets, crafts and trades, unique and locally owned shops, and perhaps nightlife if that's your thing. It's a really unique place with a lot to offer, but it doesn't really shine if someone tries to shoehorn in a typical big box suburban lifestyle.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:33 PM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Thx! Sound better than Solar Bears. I thought there was a name for us.

I loved the lack of chain retail/restaurants. I strongly prefer to spend $ at small businesses, as a business owner myself.

We had lunch at Tupelo Honey downtown location (loved the Brussell Sprouts), & once at the Biltmore Village's Corner Kitchen.

We went wild in the Mast General Store in downtown Asheville, that has 2 floors. On the top floor, they have a huge candy section where I found full sized Tootsie Rolls...a hard to find item nowadays, so I brought 5 home with me, & will be buying 100 for Halloween online. The kids will go wild....most have never seen a full-sized Tootsie Roll...just the tiny Halloween size.

Great memories, & more to come next Summer.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 09-13-2023 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-13-2023, 05:28 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
September 10th 2023....I'm back home in SW Florida after 5 weeks in Brevard.

"Feels like" in Sarasota is now 100 at 11am, & today is considered slightly cooler than the recent past.

"Feels like" in Brevard is 71 at 11 am

I wish I could have stayed in Brevard another 3 weeks.

My friends say August was the hottest month they can recall here in SW Florida, so my timing was impeccable. Early Sept's no picnic either down here.

I can't wait to get to Western NC next Summer...for a lot longer than the 5 weeks I did this Summer.

Now that I've been there, I'm ready to commit to longer stays in the years ahead.

Snow Birds leave the cold North for Florida each Winter.

What do you call Floridians who leave the Sunshine state each Summer to travel to cooler places up North...like Western NC? Is there a nickname for us?

How about Solar Bears?
How about fullbacks?

Old 09-13-2023, 06:05 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
5 weeks - what a great time you must've had! Are you looking for a second home or do you just like visiting different places each year?

Old 09-17-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
5 weeks - what a great time you must've had! Are you looking for a second home or do you just like visiting different places each year?
I don't think the OP is looking for a second home, rather trying to escape the hot, humid FL weather for a few weeks in the summer.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:16 PM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I had a ball! The weather opened up so many more outdoor activities to me that I don't have in FLA.

I jogged a mile a day at the Brevard college rubber track...that could be lethal for me to do in SW FLA in August.

I've owned 2 & 3 homes before, but never again...to much time & money involved.

I'm simplifying now, so just renting by the month in this forum area is fine.

I can see this years 5 weeks, evolve into 9 weeks next Summer, and more as time passes.

I need to find the right monthly rental to return to for the next 10 years...the one I had is being sold.

I'll likely return to Brevard because I made a lot of friends there playing sports. H'ville & A'ville are not as attractive for the things I do. The small town reception I got in Brevard will likely bring me back. The people there were so welcoming.

If there's a downside to small town tourism, I didn't experience it. Maybe some restaurants closing Sunday's and Monday's, but others I found were open, & are almost as good...like Wild Morel.

I was by myself most of the time, but could always find people to talk to at restaurants & bars. I might rent a larger home next Summer so I can invite more visitors. I could use more company next Summer.

I'd really like for the Op to try Brevard, NC. I don't see any downsides to it. It's like a Normal Rockwell painting. If there's a better Summer escape, please let me know. I'm driving up from FLA, so I prefer to keep the drive to 10 hrs.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I had a ball! The weather opened up so many more outdoor activities to me that I don't have in FLA.

I jogged a mile a day at the Brevard college rubber track...that could be lethal for me to do in SW FLA in August.

I've owned 2 & 3 homes before, but never again...to much time & money involved.

I'm simplifying now, so just renting by the month in this forum area is fine.

I can see this years 5 weeks, evolve into 9 weeks next Summer, and more as time passes.

I need to find the right monthly rental to return to for the next 10 years...the one I had is being sold.

I'll likely return to Brevard because I made a lot of friends there playing sports. H'ville & A'ville are not as attractive for the things I do. The small town reception I got in Brevard will likely bring me back. The people there were so welcoming.

If there's a downside to small town tourism, I didn't experience it. Maybe some restaurants closing Sunday's and Monday's, but others I found were open, & are almost as good...like Wild Morel.

I was by myself most of the time, but could always find people to talk to at restaurants & bars. I might rent a larger home next Summer so I can invite more visitors. I could use more company next Summer.

I'd really like for the Op to try Brevard, NC. I don't see any downsides to it. It's like a Normal Rockwell painting. If there's a better Summer escape, please let me know. I'm driving up from FLA, so I prefer to keep the drive to 10 hrs.
As it's larger, Hendersonville has more going on than Brevard. You just have to know where to look. The nicest parts of Hendersonville are downtown and south, west, and southwest of downtown. There are very nice sports facilities in the area. Brevard is smaller and more compact and tends to be more touristy than Hendersonville. We like both and are blessed to live in this beautiful area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina