Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 07:21 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

I loved the Summer weather in Western NC, which was my #1 reason for visiting. Cool temps, low humidity, some rain, but not lasting long.

The lush Green scenery, rolling hills & mountains, make for interestingly attractive landscapes. The waterfalls were the highlight of my stay.

The places I visited were safe, clean, & lively. People seemed happy...lots of smiles, & it's nice that people say hello to strangers, or at least nod or smile at each other. There's an old time innocence here that reminds me of decades past. I saw almost no litter, or graffitti...except in Asheville's arts district, where the graffitti was done well, & by permit only in designated areas. People mostly keep their homes up, w/o HOA's breathing down their necks.

I saw very few zombies. The parks & sidewalks in Asheville had some, but very few otherwise. They stayed to themselves, & I saw no encampments...not saying there's not any, just not where I was. I didn't go out after dark much, so can't speak to what its like at night.

Drivers were courteous, & mostly patient. Roads were fine. Some loud vehicles, but not overbearing. Asheville's Trolly loop service was nice, & made getting around so much easier than driving.

The houses & buildings all look different, which is a stark contrast to SW Florida where I live most of the time. I liked how every house was unique, & lot sizes varied and were not all perfect rectangles.

Sadly, my time is up here for 2023...I leave tomorrow after extending 1 more week. I hope to return next year, but I'll have to pay a lot more than I paid this year...monthly rentals have escalated here like most everywhere else.

I can see why there's so many part-timers & tourists here. Cyclists, walkers, & joggers were everywhere in Brevard...its a very active place.

I got my money's worth, and more, during my 5 week stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 07:27 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Great report! So glad you enjoyed your time here in this slice of paradise. You should try to get back sometime during fall foliage season. You will be amazed at how beautiful it is here this time of the year. I’ve had several FL friends who were seasonal residents move here full-time recently. With rising homeowners and hurricane insurance in FL and the declining NC tax rate, the FL tax advantage is not that great any longer.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-06-2023 at 07:37 AM..

Old 09-06-2023, 01:17 PM

A lot of people I recreated with in Brevard were Floridians....at least a dozen of them.

2 moved here permanently, but most had homes in each place, or rented here for some part of the Summer; like myself.

If I left Florida, I'd move here, or to coastal South Carolina (my wife loves the low country).

I'm so glad I don't have to go to New England anymore to get great Summer weather, & beautiful scenery. I'll miss the seafood up East, but I liked the Trout here just fine.

Next year, I plan to stay longer....5 weeks blew by way too fast this Summer.

Old 09-06-2023, 02:29 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Brevard is one of my favorite NC towns. When we lived in Haywood County, we would take a day trip a few times a year via 276 down to Brevard to visit some of the waterfalls and then to have lunch at The Square Root. It's just a really nice town that we discovered in 2014 when we rented a cabin in Rosman (before we moved to the mountains).

Old 09-06-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Brevard is one of my favorite NC towns. When we lived in Haywood County, we would take a day trip a few times a year via 276 down to Brevard to visit some of the waterfalls and then to have lunch at The Square Root. It's just a really nice town that we discovered in 2014 when we rented a cabin in Rosman (before we moved to the mountains).
I ate lunch today at the Square Root. I'll likely return to Brevard next year. I checked out the Southern 'burbs of Asheville, & it didn't do much for me. I checked out Hendersonville too...not wowed. I like Connestee, but its a bit remote, & none of the rentals jumped out at me.

Its crazy how many Brevard rentals are already booked for next August.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I ate lunch today at the Square Root. I'll likely return to Brevard next year. I checked out the Southern 'burbs of Asheville, & it didn't do much for me. I checked out Hendersonville too...not wowed. I like Connestee, but its a bit remote, & none of the rentals jumped out at me.

Its crazy how many Brevard rentals are already booked for next August.
Like the Square Root. Hope you had time to visit Flat Rock and the southwest side of Hendersonville (out Kanuga). There are some really nice residential areas here. We live between both (closer to Hendersonville) and have easy access to both. Glad we don't have to choose.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Like the Square Root. Hope you had time to visit Flat Rock and the southwest side of Hendersonville (out Kanuga). There are some really nice residential areas here. We live between both (closer to Hendersonville) and have easy access to both. Glad we don't have to choose.
I regret not getting to Waynesville or Flat Rock. A friend wanted me to ck out Boone for him, & I never got there either. I didn't want to spend too much time driving once I got settled into Brevard.

Glad I got to see The Biltmore, and Asheville. Biltmore is a must see, & Asheville is too when in Western NC.

I wish H'ville didn't go to paid parking in all of the downtown area. It's a pet peeve of mine. I parked at the visitors center, & got luck to find one of the last spots. I'm suprised the store owners went along w/ that. That could prevent me from renting there for 1-3 months, but that's just me. If they did an annual pass for $50, I'd do that. I failed to ask about those options at the visitor's center.

H'ville isn't the best place for the sport I play unfortunately, but that could change in 11 months when I plan to return to the area, if new facilities are added.

I'm back in the rat race world now (Atlanta) visiting family, & already miss my Mountain hideaway.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I regret not getting to Waynesville or Flat Rock. A friend wanted me to ck out Boone for him, & I never got there either. I didn't want to spend too much time driving once I got settled into Brevard.

Glad I got to see The Biltmore, and Asheville. Biltmore is a must see, & Asheville is too when in Western NC.

I wish H'ville didn't go to paid parking in all of the downtown area. It's a pet peeve of mine. I parked at the visitors center, & got luck to find one of the last spots. I'm suprised the store owners went along w/ that. That could prevent me from renting there for 1-3 months, but that's just me. If they did an annual pass for $50, I'd do that. I failed to ask about those options at the visitor's center.

H'ville isn't the best place for the sport I play unfortunately, but that could change in 11 months when I plan to return to the area, if new facilities are added.

I'm back in the rat race world now (Atlanta) visiting family, & already miss my Mountain hideaway.
Yes, no one likes the new paid parking, business owners especially. We don’t go downtown (i.e., shopping, restaurants) that much, but once you get use to the app, it’s not that bad. My guess is they will eventually do away with paid parking except for the garage. They’re getting too much flak.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:00 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Western NC really is beautiful.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:49 AM

September 10th 2023....I'm back home in SW Florida after 5 weeks in Brevard.

"Feels like" in Sarasota is now 100 at 11am, & today is considered slightly cooler than the recent past.

"Feels like" in Brevard is 71 at 11 am

I wish I could have stayed in Brevard another 3 weeks.

My friends say August was the hottest month they can recall here in SW Florida, so my timing was impeccable. Early Sept's no picnic either down here.

I can't wait to get to Western NC next Summer...for a lot longer than the 5 weeks I did this Summer.

Now that I've been there, I'm ready to commit to longer stays in the years ahead.

Snow Birds leave the cold North for Florida each Winter.

What do you call Floridians who leave the Sunshine state each Summer to travel to cooler places up North...like Western NC? Is there a nickname for us?

How about Solar Bears?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina