Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2023, 10:18 PM

14 posts, read 14,386 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am looking at raw land to someday build a nice container home or place a tiny home. This would be for a personal getaway. Anyone familiar with any rules/regs/restrictions for this type of home in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 02:54 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Highlands is one of the wealthiest towns in western North Carolina. I am skeptical that they would permit a tiny homes. For example, this specification for B-1 zoning states 2400 square foot minimum: https://library.municode.com/nc/high...SITY_STANDARDS

If you mean in the general area of Highlands, I'd suggest looking at unincorprated areas which are not part of an HOA development. The LandandFarm website is good for locating land. For example, this listing says you could put a tiny home on the site: https://www.landandfarm.com/property...eats-10902115/

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-19-2023 at 03:07 AM..

Old 09-19-2023, 10:53 AM

A container home is going to have the same habitability rules as a conventional house. It will have to have water and waste handling. There will be the additional problem of having a road straight and wide enough to truck the container to the site. It may be easier to build a conventional cabin on a mountain site.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:31 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
I noticed you recently made a similar post inquiring about Blairsville, GA and last year about Dunedin, FL. Have you decided against these in favor of WNC? I agree with the previous poster I doubt Highlands is the best place for you to consider.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:21 AM

Thanks. I am looking in different areas. After exploring areas, NC and Georgia seem to have the overall qualities I am looking for.

I have zero interest in building an actual home. It’s cost prohibitive for the size I want and the upkeep is significantly more than a tiny home or container. The tiny home is not considered a permanent home (I.e. real estate tax advantage)

The highlands seems a bit “already discovered” and agree that it may not be the right spot.

Old 09-20-2023, 12:24 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah0415 View Post
Thanks. I am looking in different areas. After exploring areas, NC and Georgia seem to have the overall qualities I am looking for.

I have zero interest in building an actual home. It’s cost prohibitive for the size I want and the upkeep is significantly more than a tiny home or container. The tiny home is not considered a permanent home (I.e. real estate tax advantage)

The highlands seems a bit “already discovered” and agree that it may not be the right spot.
You are correct - Highlands has been discovered. It is a beautiful town and area, primarily of second and third homes of wealthy Floridians and people from Atlanta. You are also correct that building costs are very high here, especially relative to most other areas in the south. I assume you have spent considerable time in WNC.. If not, it would be helpful to visit for an extended period of time to narrow down your choices. Do you want to be 'in the mountains'? You are going to pay more to be 'in the mountains'. How rural or isolated from a town do you want to be? The more isolated the property, the land is likely to be less expensive. I'm thinking you may want to take a look at the area around Franklin, provided this is not too isolated for you. We will be happy to try to help if you can give us more specific information.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-20-2023 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-20-2023, 03:33 PM

Quote:
.....The tiny home is not considered a permanent home (I.e. real estate tax advantage).....
I did not know that. Why do you get a break on property tax in North Carolina? Is it because the tiny home has wheels like a mobile home?

Old 09-20-2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I did not know that. Why do you get a break on property tax in North Carolina? Is it because the tiny home has wheels like a mobile home?
Correct. It’s not a permanent home. Another reason they have been attractive for many.

Old 09-21-2023, 02:39 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
. The tiny home is not considered a permanent home (I.e. real estate tax advantage)
I don't think you'll find any savings there in NC. Vehicles (i.e. cars, trucks, rvs, boats, trailers, etc.) are taxed just like real estate, at the same rate.

In other words, the property taxes on a tiny house assessed by the county at $50,000 will be the same as a small conventional house assessed at $50,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina