Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 36,549 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering relocating to Asheville or Winston-Salem, NC. I was wondering how bad the snow is during winter in Asheville and how bad the driving is during that time. I live in N. Florida and I have never had to drive in snow before. I was looking at the visitor's website for Asheville and it said that in Asheville winters are mild unless you are in the mountain area. So, I guess I am also wondering what areas have the milder snow and is it possible to actually live in and work in those areas. I guess I am really worried about driving in it on a day to day basis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,015,816 times
Snow in the Asheville area, (Buncombe-Henderson-Haywood & Madison Counties) has been pretty much a bust for the last few years, but they have had some big ones if you go back far enough. Unlike other snow areas, it doesn't lay around for days or weeks on end.

Heaviest Snowfall Events - http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/avlsf.htm

Last edited by mm34b; 06-11-2008 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 AM

76 posts, read 326,642 times
Snow? What snow? It may never snow in Asheville again!

When it does snow it's usually gone by noon. Everything closes down and it doesn't happen that much so I say it's a good day to take off.
Watch out for people in 4x4's that think they can drive fast. All they are doing is driving a 4 ton brick rather than a 1/2 ton brick when they hit the breaks.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:19 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,553,637 times
Of late snow is a rare occurrence in Asheville, but it does snow a little.

If you have never even 'seen' snow, then I strongly recommend that the first time you do see snow, please please do not attempt to drive in the snow.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Of late snow is a rare occurrence in Asheville, but it does snow a little.

If you have never even 'seen' snow, then I strongly recommend that the first time you do see snow, please please do not attempt to drive in the snow.
People who do not know how to drive in snow cause accidents - and not only get themselves hurt, but also cause the rest of us to have accidents trying to avoid their bad vehicular moves.

So if you do relocate and encounter snow, get someone else to take you to a parking lot and help you practice how to drive in the snow. That is how most of us got started as teens . . . that and back roads. Then you will not only be a better, more confident driver, you will not be creating a hazard for the rest of us who have to hit our brakes and go into a skid b/c you are driving in a timid manner in snow. Trust me, a few times out "getting the feel" of driving in the snow - and you will be fine.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 AM

Thank you guys for the great replies ! I will definitely practice if I ever live in a place with snow (which will prob be likely!).

Old 06-12-2008, 12:22 PM

955 posts, read 4,093,854 times
Erie, PA. had 119 inches of snow last year - do you think I'd be OK driving in Asheville (I do own a 4 ton brick).

Old 06-12-2008, 12:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,553,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Erie, PA. had 119 inches of snow last year - do you think I'd be OK driving in Asheville (I do own a 4 ton brick).
The recommendation was for someone from Florida that has never seen snow before.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:44 AM

13 posts, read 39,720 times
Default no worries

I grew up in that area; you'll be fine with practice. It's nothing like the snow you'll find in other parts of the country.
And I wouldn't even consider Winston as a place to live; spent plenty of time over there as well. There's nothing there to recommend it.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:36 AM

thegreatnathan- would you say Asheville is alot better then Winston? Why did you not like Winston? Thank you for the info! I really like getting opinions from people that live over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina