Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 32,037 times

Advertisements

Hello. We would like to go snow tubing in North Carolina this weekend and would like some information about which tubing sites you would recommend. We have been to Scaly Mountain and Hawksnest before and are wondering how the other tubing locations (Beech Mountain, Maggie Valley Tube World, Frozen Falls Tube Park, Jonas Ridge, Sugar Mountain, Wolf Laurel, etc.) compare to these. Are there any that you would recommend above the others? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 48,207 times
Stay away from Hawksnest. This facility WAY overbooked and we spent far more time waiting both for our lift tickets and for a chance to tube, despite the fact that we had already purchased our tickets online. The website does not in any way indicate that you will spend the first 45 minutes of your hour-and-forty-five-minute session standing in line before you even get to the line on the tube courses. On speaking with the manager, we received and "I don't care I'm the only show in town" attitude and a refusal to grant even a partial refund. We drove two hours with five children and grandparents and got a grand total of 6 runs, totalling about 8 minutes of actual tubing time, for our $31 fee. If you go, prepare to spend more time waiting than tubing. Or slide on your bottom for free just a few feet down the mountain.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:54 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,938 times
It is not worth the long drive to Maggie Valley. We just got home from our vacation to Bryson City. Maggie Valley was just a short trip for us. We went to Tony's Tube World. My younger daughter thought it was too scary. My 14 year old thought it was lame. I did not go down it, but observed some people getting stuck halfway. It was cold enough for tubing (28 degrees). I felt the slope was too short and not high enough. I got there just before the 12:00 slot (last Tuesday). It was sold out. We waited in our car until the 2:00 slot. Both of kids wanted to give up after 45 minutes. Because of the crowds, you only get to go down 3 times in 45 minutes. It was a holiday, so they charged $25 per person. I noticed there were no lines for the 4:00 slot. Maybe it would have been better to go later.

After Tube World, and driving back, in a different direction, I saw a snow covered hill that people were sledding, for free!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:05 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,879,652 times
we went to wolf laurel (spelling ?) last week. let me express it this way: you get what you've paid for - and we paid 12 dollars per tube per person for one hour.
we only had an afternoon and if we would have known the area better, we would have ended up on one of this nice hills everywhere .... but when you actually LOOK for one - you can't find it (too many to see one, I guess )

it's a family run business and grandpa went up the hill TWICE with his little tractor - that took forever ( at least 10 minutes each time) and everybody had to watch his attempts the improve the hill. well, did not really work out, but it also was somehow sweet and they at least did not charge you for the wait.

You climb up for 2 minutes, tube down 15-20 sec. - that's pretty much it.

there is another place 1 mile up the street, before you enter the skiing area, same price, same lenght of climbing and tubing, but overcrowded and the magic carpet for the last quart of the way is a joke. As far as I remember, it was priced the same.
we also wanted our kids to get tired the old fashioned way ...

we have younger kids and only 1-2 hours, so it was alright, fun with a personal touch, but with older kids I am not sure. I would rather drive a little further and spend extra money for a little more adventure.
and - if someone happens stop by there - beware of the coffee, if it's late afternoon. it was made in the morning and the taste was incredible - awful .
but with a broken leg the time to watch the kids sledding can get long and coffee just sounded like a good idea

Old 01-05-2010, 12:16 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,160 times
Default Free Sledding

I know this might not be as fun as tubing, but if you want to sled for free, there is a place a lot of the local kids go just off of Hwy. 221 about 2 miles from Blowing Rock. When you come to a sign for the Blue Ridge Parkway, turn right there, and there is a big hill on your left. You can see cars parked around there. However, not to discourage any tourist coming up here, but it is so cold and windy, you could not get me out there even with a gun put to my head right now. It is so cold that I would think it would be dangerous, plus I would not get on a ski lift with the wind blowing so hard. I have to go now and pick my dog up at the vets office, and it will take me 15 to 20 minutes to put all the crap on just to go from one door to another. Haven't seen anything like this in a long time.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,879,652 times
I actually think, a great place for sledding is as good as the place where we went - and you can get it for free. other tubing places might be better.

too bad we just talk about that, last week we could not find a good spot, but I will keep you recommendation in mind. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina