Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:00 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,121 times

Advertisements

one of the few things we will miss after we moved to S. Asheville will be our pool. with three kids, having lots of friends over and hot summers swimming is a main part of our summer activity.

Looks like the YMCA south location does not offer an outdoor pool. too bad, since we are going to join anyway.
I have found three public pools, where you can get daily admissions (big plus, I am not a big pool membership fan).
but ... where else can we find some water fun ? how about a nice lake with a good water quality (and, have to mention, I am scared of (water) snakes ...), a waterfall with swimming hole or a fun pool, where we can go for a day or even a couple of hours.

building a pool on a sloped wooded lot ... would be a tough task, but still is a possibility. owning a (small) pool gives you so much freedom and to go swimming after dusk is one of our favorite things to do (and, no, we are no vampires )

and I am still looking for summer camps for both of my little ones (7 and 10), which will include water activities.

as always, thanks for your input !

QoB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
Lemme suggest places that aren't swimming pools because I've never had the need for swimming pools

There are tons of river tubing companies around here which I'm sure you guys will love. Its usually fairly cheap and tons of fun. The Davidson and the Green are two big rivers for it. Although, I haven't been on the green in a while for the reason of your exact fear...snakes. Maybe someone whos been there more recently can tell if its still a problem?

There are also tons of rafting companies, the french board company actually lets you get out of the raft and float down for some sections, water flow permitting of course. That might be something else you could look into.

Umm. Sliding rock is fun for kids. The water tends to be a bit too cold for me though. The last time I went when i hit the water I couldn't breath, and that was in Early August. In the same area is looking glass falls that has a swimming hole at its bottom and moore cove falls which is a really cute little waterfall, little kids might enough playing in.

There are also plenty of creeks and streams to play in in the national park and forest. You can easily find somewhere.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:42 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Queen, there is always Lake Lure, but I've never been swimming in the lake because I'm a salt water ocean kinda' girl. Don't care for fresh water so I don't know anything about the water quality.

I don't think many folks have pools here because of the topography for the most part, and cooler nights. Some subdivisions and gated communities have indoor or outdoor pools, and of course, the country clubs. Some country clubs have just a social membership where you can use the pool. I believe High Vista in Mills River may have that offering. It is very reasonable to join that club. Other than that, I'm not much help about pools.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:03 PM

172 posts, read 477,546 times
Just Head to the river or Lake....the Water Quality around here is pretty good compared to most places....

note...Id avoid the Pigeon river below the Mill...its not as Dirty as it once was, but i still wouldnt feel comfortable swimming in it for long periods of time...

Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Lemme suggest places that aren't swimming pools because I've never had the need for swimming pools

There are tons of river tubing companies around here which I'm sure you guys will love. Its usually fairly cheap and tons of fun. The Davidson and the Green are two big rivers for it. Although, I haven't been on the green in a while for the reason of your exact fear...snakes. Maybe someone whos been there more recently can tell if its still a problem?

There are also tons of rafting companies, the french board company actually lets you get out of the raft and float down for some sections, water flow permitting of course. That might be something else you could look into.

Umm. Sliding rock is fun for kids. The water tends to be a bit too cold for me though. The last time I went when i hit the water I couldn't breath, and that was in Early August. In the same area is looking glass falls that has a swimming hole at its bottom and moore cove falls which is a really cute little waterfall, little kids might enough playing in.

There are also plenty of creeks and streams to play in in the national park and forest. You can easily find somewhere.
thanks for your suggestions . I was just looking for a nice spot, where you can go once or twice a week within a couple of minutes. we did river rafting (somewhere near cherokee), and it was nice - but of course pricey, if you do it several times and not for the little one, she is still too small.

we tried sliding rock, but that line was so long, it took people almost an hour to get up there and then 1,5 minutes to get down ..also nothing you would like to do for an easy cool off.
looking glass sounds good, there is no too cold for my kids, haha.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Queen, there is always Lake Lure, but I've never been swimming in the lake because I'm a salt water ocean kinda' girl. Don't care for fresh water so I don't know anything about the water quality.

I don't think many folks have pools here because of the topography for the most part, and cooler nights. Some subdivisions and gated communities have indoor or outdoor pools, and of course, the country clubs. Some country clubs have just a social membership where you can use the pool. I believe High Vista in Mills River may have that offering. It is very reasonable to join that club. Other than that, I'm not much help about pools.
yes, I have read about the high vista pool. we never made it to lake lure, so this is for sure something on our list. thanks . and, yes, if the ocean was closer, there was no need for pool water

Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-hiker View Post
Just Head to the river or Lake....the Water Quality around here is pretty good compared to most places....

note...Id avoid the Pigeon river below the Mill...its not as Dirty as it once was, but i still wouldnt feel comfortable swimming in it for long periods of time...
good to hear the water quality is ok in the area. we went to a river close to our house here in Delaware once and there was a sign, that swimming is not recommended and also not to eat more than 2 fish out of this water a year due the chemical contamination . and, sadly, that's not an exception around here

once we were looking at home sites at the crossings at cane creek/fairview. they had a nice playground right at the river, so maybe that's a nice place to spend the afternoon, too.
and cane creek wasn't anything broad or dangerous, that's the next thing. I swam in rivers a lot, when I was a child, but my kids are not used to that - yet

Old 04-04-2011, 07:38 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,552 times
Lake Powhatan campground has a nice swimming lake although they did have to close it last year for a bit. I imagine it will be open this year. It is just off Brevard Road in the south part of town.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,865 times
Here's an outdoor pool that's not far from you. It's right down Cane Creek, nect door to Cane Creek Middle School. I'm not sure, being that you're up Sweeten Creek a little, but you children might be going to that middle school. It's the Cane Creek Swimming Pool. It's public.

Here's a link that might help:

Buncombe County Parks, Greenways & Recreation - Our Facilities - Pools

Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
I would stay far far away from Lake Powhatan. Almost EVERY year they have to close it for high levels of bacteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina