Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 06:56 AM

12 posts, read 31,363 times

Advertisements

After months of looking we finally found a lot in Hendersonville that we will be building our "destination" home on. They should be starting next week on construction.

Coming from Eastern NC (the flatlands) there is alot for me to adjust to, like mountain driving. I think I need good brakes on my car so I need my mechanic to check out the brakes before I load up the homestead.

There are rocks/boulders that is on the property that I'm not too familiar with. The rocks are more greyish and seemed "layered". It did seem a bit like limestone, easier to break but not too easy to break. Maybe a tap or two with a hammer will break it. Any clue what that is? I was going to have one big one on the property moved to the front yard so we can put our house numbers on it.

There was also a huge abundance of a plant I wasnt too familiar with. The contractor thought it was mountain laurel. A google search confirmed that my lot is full of laurel. Is there a lawn/garden store that can give this transplant advise on the vegitation and what is good for plantings? I am use to sandy-loom soil and I do know certain plants will not prosper in the mountains. I need to find a third green thumb.

We are in a new development off of Green Mountain Road. I cant wait until Spring and summer when I drive thru those apple orchards...I know that will be a sight.

Anyone that can give me any advise on horticulture or the rocks will be greatly appreciated. Most of our rocks in Eastern NC is either ~sand~ or trucked in from the mountains. Anyone also know where I can find a deal on a palate of flagstone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 AM

765 posts, read 2,571,282 times
The county extension will send out someone to help you with plant ids and make suggestions on your soil etc. They can also advise you on the presence of any endangered plant species there. It can be difficult to transplant a lot of the larger plants since the rocky ground requires extensive disturbance of the root system just to get it out of the ground but most of the small wildflowers, orchids, bushes can be moved--there are often garden clubs that specialize in rescuing plants from sites before construction begins. Rocks are probably granite (the state rock) or metamorphics--not a lot of limestone or marble here although there is some over near Murphy that is quarried occasionally. Good luck with your build and move

Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 AM

12 posts, read 31,363 times
Default County extension office...why didnt I think of that

My daughter was involved with the FFA when she was in high school. North Henderson High School is not far from the house. Is there a local FFA chapter there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina