Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 36,829 times

Advertisements

I am from Charlotte, NC and went to school at Appalachian State. I moved back to Charlotte, and after a decade of working I still want to make it back to the mountains. Me and a million other people, probably.

My work record is for big companies. I am a technical writer for a big healthcare company right now. I can do technical writing (which is mostly an info. technology thing, help files and such), instructional design (corporate training), and things related.

Are there any big companies in them hills? I can't seem to find any. But there must be something for me out there.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Check out Thremo-Fisher located in Weaverville. They make and sell scientific equipment and have a big facility on Weaverville Rd and another one on Aiken Rd overlooking I26. Good luck

Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutface View Post
I am from Charlotte, NC and went to school at Appalachian State. I moved back to Charlotte, and after a decade of working I still want to make it back to the mountains. Me and a million other people, probably.

My work record is for big companies. I am a technical writer for a big healthcare company right now. I can do technical writing (which is mostly an info. technology thing, help files and such), instructional design (corporate training), and things related.

Are there any big companies in them hills? I can't seem to find any. But there must be something for me out there.

There was something not too long ago in your field listed at Frye Regional Medical Center in Hickory - give them a look see.

Best of luck, I understand that feeling of wanting to go home to the mountains

Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Quote:

WNC is not really a tech hotspot, to put it mildly.

Will your current company let you work remotely?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 AM

10 posts, read 36,829 times
Working remotely is a possibility in theory, but my company does not smile upon it. So it is almost out of the question for now. It would also involve an "ultimatum" on my part, I think, which is risky. They would likely not let me work remotely only because I wanted to (I think everybody here wants to). I don't know if I would be comfortable with all my eggs in one basket like that, either. Although, I appreciate the suggestion.

It sounds like if I want to be in the mountains then I need to look at Johnson City or maybe West Virginia. I would prefer to be closer to my home town, but you can't have it all, I guess.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated. If not, then thanks for the posts.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
WNC is not really a tech hotspot, to put it mildly.

Will your current company let you work remotely?
To put it bluntly, the only IT/Tech jobs here are the measly few that are required to support the low paying 'service' jobs of catering to the tourism dollar.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Check out Thremo-Fisher located in Weaverville. They make and sell scientific equipment and have a big facility on Weaverville Rd and another one on Aiken Rd overlooking I26. Good luck
I checked them out, as my IT husband is looking too, but they don't have anything there in Weaverville. He did however apply for one of their positions in Pittsburgh

Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I checked them out, as my IT husband is looking too, but they don't have anything there in Weaverville. He did however apply for one of their positions in Pittsburgh
We have a friend who is trying to get on there but it is hard. We even managed to get his resume directly to their personnel officer through a new acquaintance who is one of their financial managers so he is high on the list--time will tell

Old 02-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
We have a friend who is trying to get on there but it is hard. We even managed to get his resume directly to their personnel officer through a new acquaintance who is one of their financial managers so he is high on the list--time will tell
The IT market in general has been very hard hit in NC - I hate that we will probably have to leave for something soon.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Quote:
Working remotely is a possibility in theory, but my company does not smile upon it. So it is almost out of the question for now. It would also involve an "ultimatum" on my part, I think, which is risky. They would likely not let me work remotely only because I wanted to (I think everybody here wants to). I don't know if I would be comfortable with all my eggs in one basket like that, either. Although, I appreciate the suggestion.

It sounds like if I want to be in the mountains then I need to look at Johnson City or maybe West Virginia. I would prefer to be closer to my home town, but you can't have it all, I guess.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated. If not, then thanks for the posts.
The only other suggestion I would make is to get a job with a company in your area that does encourage teleworking, build up your reputation as a reliable, trustworthy employee, and then move in a couple of years. I think lots of tech companies these days are being more flexible about that. Maybe changing jobs is the way to go, if Plan A fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina