Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,650 times

Advertisements

Anyone that can post such a statement about their horrible experience, ought to at least know how to spell ... maybe thats why you got screwed over by your builder/home seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,650 times
Ive lived in Wichita for almost 25 years now and have lived in 4 different areas, I have had my car broken into once and nothing more. the crime rate is minimal if you ask me. Texas on the other hand, out of the 5 years i lived there, i was mugged, home broken into and car tires slashed on numerous occasions. really now, crime rate in wichita being a problem?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:41 PM

30 posts, read 90,679 times
I lived in Wichita and Park City for 7 years. I really liked it there and would cosider it for retirement. Never had any crime issues nor bug issues. New construction homes on the other hand, it doesn't matter where you move too, some contractors build crappy homes. I am living in a new home for the first time (Arkansas) and it is already having some potential/serious issues. My last house was 10 years old in GA. It was due a new roof, septic tank, A/C system. My house in Park City, wich was built in the 70's had a leaky basement, and water drainage issues in the yard. My conclusion is that owning a house will always be filled with problems. I enjoyed the weather in Wichita. Beautiful skylines and city. Found lots of things to keep me busy. Also, friends/family also make a community enjoyable. When I live in Park City from 93-2000, I was living right down the street from the BTK. Never knew it of course but it really freaks me out knowing that I diid.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:03 AM

97 posts, read 579,058 times
Default Finally, somebody talking about life in Wichita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverspank View Post
I lived in Wichita and Park City for 7 years. I really liked it there and would cosider it for retirement. Never had any crime issues nor bug issues. New construction homes on the other hand, it doesn't matter where you move too, some contractors build crappy homes. I am living in a new home for the first time (Arkansas) and it is already having some potential/serious issues. My last house was 10 years old in GA. It was due a new roof, septic tank, A/C system. My house in Park City, wich was built in the 70's had a leaky basement, and water drainage issues in the yard. My conclusion is that owning a house will always be filled with problems. I enjoyed the weather in Wichita. Beautiful skylines and city. Found lots of things to keep me busy. Also, friends/family also make a community enjoyable. When I live in Park City from 93-2000, I was living right down the street from the BTK. Never knew it of course but it really freaks me out knowing that I diid.
WHEW, I've been following this thread and was beginning to wonder what kind of town Wichita really is.

So can you tell me about the Art-Deco theme in Wichita? I was reading a magazine in the Dr's office and was fascinated about an article that detailed the abundance of Art-Deco and one particular neighborhood that's full of old homes built in this style. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:16 PM

179 posts, read 392,789 times
I have never lived in Wichita, but have a very favorable impression of the place. I have lived in California and would much prefer some place like Wichita to most anyplace in California.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 PM

370 posts, read 753,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
With the benefit of hindsight, here's my 2 cents:

The taxes in Wichita are ridiculous for what you get. It astonishes me that all the roads aren't plowed after a snowstorm. The public school system is pathetic. My neighbor is a school teacher in USD 259 and she has to constantly dig in to her own pockets for school supplies for her class. That's terrible. Don't get me started on what the kids aren't learning in the public school there. They're frighteningly stupid compared to other kids the same age. Wichita also has a very high crime rate for a city it's size, and a higher than average gang population. I never felt safe there.

I think this was my biggest revelation when I moved away for my DH's employer. Maybe houses are 'cheap', but throw in the taxes and the specials and they really are not. I live on the east coast in a mid size city. Our taxes are cheaper when you take everything in account out here, than back in Wichita. Our children attend one of the top public schools in the nation. We have an NBA team, NFL team, tons of concerts/festivals and gorgeous scenary. Not to mention I can drive two hours to the mountains and three hours to the beach. All things considered, living in Wichita, you pay HUGE for that low cost of living. YOu have bad schools, high crime, and cruddy weather. I have friends who live all over the country and we all agree on the same thing; moving away opens your eyes to how unpleasant Wichita truly is. It seems almost anywhere is better.

I never really knew how bad it was until I moved away. I would advise anyone considering a move there, at least visit and be prepared to pay for private school b/c public schools are horrible there!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:23 PM

37 posts, read 35,877 times
mama you are on the money with the taxes. For a conservative state that is a sea of red they sure do have high taxes and give nothing for it. So much for the conservative low tax garbage, liberals may be tax and spend but the neocons are tax and don't spend and give it to the corporations. BS arseholes.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 PM

I also agree that there is nothing to do in Wichita. It also has nothing to offer but a bit of work for some people. Other than than that it is a whole in flyover country and would not even be a town if not for it being a cattle hub years ago. When one of the top ten things the chamber tells people to do on its web sight is to go to the flying moose antique store on 400, you know that things to do are slim. One figures out how far it is to other places for recreation when living in wichita.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
^It kind of depends on what you have in mind for recreation. If you moved to the Florida Keys to support a mountain climbing hobby you may be in for a let down.

For all the free spirited folks out there who are looking for a city that never sleeps, all night drinking, gambling, late night chinese food, etc, etc, etc.....well....you aren't likely to find it here. It's just not that kind of place.

But if you like outdoor activities like shooting, hunting, fishing, excersizin, etc....it's not too shabby. I'm a cyclist and I like to shoot sporting clays. This is not such a bad place for these kinds of hobbies.

And if you're looking for a place to work and raise a family there are far, far worse options.

Crime keeps popping up on here as being some sort of major concern. It's laughable folks. When a murder pops up on the local news people actually take notice and say..."OMG...somebody was murdered". It's not until you live someplace where it happens every day and it is either only mentioned briefly on the news or it's not even worthy of making the news because it happens so often. And the amazing thing is that people are so numb to it that they aren't shocked that there was a murder....even if it was a few streets over from their house!

I lived in Fort Worth, Texas for 6 years. Let me correct that: I survived 6 years in Fort Worth. I lived in what many would see as an average neighborhood...definitely not any kind of ghetto. In the time that I lived there there was 1) A kid found dead that was shot in the head by his friend <this was within sight of my house>, 2) A man took his step daughter hostage, released her, set his house on fire with him in it and shot himself<also within sight of my house> 3) A domestic dispute in which a woman's brother killed her ex-husband with a hand gun when he barged into their house<this was less than 100 yard from my house>.

So I move here....and people are all the time complaining about petty theft and vandalism....and what is relatively a rare murder. I just gotta say....you need to try living in a place with serious crime before you decide that Wichita is really bad.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Like the two cops shot in a domestic call, and the woman killed and no one called for 3 hours and took photos laughing about it? And the meth problem in parts of Wichita? I think you are trying to convince yourself more than us. For those reading this, I am not saying that Wichita is horrible, but fact, it does have crime and a meth problem, it is flat and not much to do. There is a sporting clays shooting but I have looked and no place to shoot rifle or handguns except one inside club in Wichita. Stand on an ant hill and see four more miles. Wichita is not a place to move for any reason but work. And yes the above poster is not unbiased, he lives there and is trying to promote his situation, it could be misery loves company. I would recomend anyone wanting to come here, rent for a year to see what you think before buying. Specials from 10 to 40k hidden on home prices, high property taxes, government that hands out tickets like candy to support itself, gang problems in parts of the city, and nothing to do on a saturday night are some of the defects of this area. Unless you are coming here for a job or family my advice is don't there are many better places that you will love much more.
The above poster is known for calling anyone who does not jump on the "I love Wichita" band wagon as a troll, and the if you cant refute you boot polocy. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita