Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 AM

142 posts, read 417,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
LOL I have not heard for sure, I mean they said it was coming to Williston for sure and then it ended up folding up on that on. However, I loves me some Menard's, lol, I was just there in Minot and got some major cleaning supplies for a pretty good price and finally got my little fire pit for 35 bucks so excited!!!!

I would bring your washer/dryer set up if you can like Cinj suggested, prices are inflated all over as far as I have noticed with that appliances.

Thanks for the heads up. I figured the appliances would be more out there since everything else seems to be. It's just my husband and I but this move is difficult as we have lived in our WI home for 26 years. It's a big old house with TONS of closets/storage plus a basement. YIKES! I have kept waaay too much! LOL! So I suppose I need to do some serious appliance shopping. The stove and fridge in the new home are black. Black appliances seem to be much more common out west. Our developer told us this is due to men with dirty work hands. That makes sense. As much as I'd like to have a black washer and dryer since they will be in the hall off the kitchen, they are nearly impossible to find here. I suppose I'd be ordering them. I have never shopped appliances when I have been out west but I would guess a black washer and dryer would be a bit easier to find there since black is used more.

I was THRILLED yesterday as I left Menard's with gallons of Distinctions paint by Dutch Boy that they were discontinuing and had it clearanced out at $4 a gallon!!! Paint has gotten SO expensive and all the walls in our home are primed but all the painting will be left for me. Then I scored some 29" padded saddle style stools for the kitchen island that were clearanced out at $49 a pair! I too love their cleaning supplies and they now carry more than ever. Try the Rubbermaid brand products, they are amazing and Menard's is the only place I have ever seen them.

I can see me taking the time to make the longer drive to Dickinson over Williston as there is MUCH better shopping to be had in Dickinson. If they get a Menard's they have me for life, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 AM

154 posts, read 412,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Upnorth View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I figured the appliances would be more out there since everything else seems to be. It's just my husband and I but this move is difficult as we have lived in our WI home for 26 years. It's a big old house with TONS of closets/storage plus a basement. YIKES! I have kept waaay too much! LOL! So I suppose I need to do some serious appliance shopping. The stove and fridge in the new home are black. Black appliances seem to be much more common out west. Our developer told us this is due to men with dirty work hands. That makes sense. As much as I'd like to have a black washer and dryer since they will be in the hall off the kitchen, they are nearly impossible to find here. I suppose I'd be ordering them. I have never shopped appliances when I have been out west but I would guess a black washer and dryer would be a bit easier to find there since black is used more.

I was THRILLED yesterday as I left Menard's with gallons of Distinctions paint by Dutch Boy that they were discontinuing and had it clearanced out at $4 a gallon!!! Paint has gotten SO expensive and all the walls in our home are primed but all the painting will be left for me. Then I scored some 29" padded saddle style stools for the kitchen island that were clearanced out at $49 a pair! I too love their cleaning supplies and they now carry more than ever. Try the Rubbermaid brand products, they are amazing and Menard's is the only place I have ever seen them.

I can see me taking the time to make the longer drive to Dickinson over Williston as there is MUCH better shopping to be had in Dickinson. If they get a Menard's they have me for life, lol!
I don't know about the black appliance thing lol. I think your developer's full of it but then most are. Mostly white that you see in the stores here (and most homes) but I'm sure you can get black if you want. The extra miles you'll have to drive to Dickinson are well worth it. I take 85 to 200 towards Killdeer and 22 south to Dickinson since the stores I shop at are on the north side of town - Walmart, Dan's (grocery store) and Runnings (farm/ranch supply). Traffic's not quite as bad, prices are better, shelves are stocked and you don't wait in line nearly as long. Keep in mind Sidney's 60 miles or so from Watford too. I still get the usual supplies online though. Walmart.com, Amazon, etc. I hate shopping and there's nothing like having it delivered to the front door. People like to gripe about it but if you watch the sales at the grocery stores in WC the prices are not bad. There are fliers in the local paper every Wednesday.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,707 times
Quote:

Wow I bet your a bit overwhelmed with having to move then after having lived there for 26 years, I know I would be. Well I guess you could check Sears online to see if they offer black in washer/dryers, I know LG has red and other colors, maybe they would have black. Actually come to think about it, order online and see if they can ship to Williston's Sears store, they would have to honor online prices. Stainless steel is pretty popular around here too, lol, which is not good with dirty man hands, but yeah have noticed in the newer build black is in.

You really got a great deal on paint, lol, nothing better than finding deals and clearances, rates right up there with, umm well you know and just means more money left over to buy other things. Minot wouldn't be that much further out of your way either over Dickinson, plus they have a mall, lol, and some different places to eat at too. Was just there last night again, my oldest had a meeting for the People to people and we ate at that Sakura place, it was expensive, but really entertaining and pretty good.

Good luck with all your stuff, I am in the process of getting rid of extra clutter and stuff right now, less is best.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Thanks Broncogirl and Cinj. I have priced online with Sears but there is a deal on a pair in white with Menard's right now. I want the front load only because this hall leads to the garage and it would be nice to have a piece of counter top cut to place on top of the washer/dryer for folding and such. Plus when you walk through that hall that counter top will sort of hide the appliances so they are not screaming at you as you pass. I could more easily go with the white if I am going to cover it with that counter top anyhoo. There is a built in cabinet on the wall above the washer/dryer hook ups that also has a rack for "quick hang" out of the dryer. I have such a habit of catching the dryer before the cycle is over to hang things and avoid wrinkles so this will be a welcomed addition.

I'm not all that crazy about the front loaders as I had the chance to used them at my former job. The washer had a habit of sounding like a airplane engine ready for take off, lol! One big plus however, they are GREAT for washing pillows! I worked as a medical auditor for an agency that had group homes for the disabled in my community and I'd occasionally take pillows to work to wash while I was at my desk, lol.

As for the black appliances out west, all the rental mobile homes that my husband's company has in WC have the black stove and fridge in them. I'm a white appliance girl myself, like that crisp brightness in the kitchen but with the counter tops I chose for the kitchen the black appliances really look best. Luckily there was a model home and a few others that were near completion for me to look at so it was easier for me to make those choices. BTW, this developer thus far has been a dream to work with.

Yes, 26 years worth of stuff in this house is a nightmare but I feel blessed to have had an affordable, roomy, quality home to have raised my family in. I can't part with the place so we will rent it. Always nice to have a "just in case" place to come back to, not to mention the added rental income.

I do plan to get to Minot once we are settled in a bit. I'm sure we will have a VERY, VERY long list for Menard's by then! I also look forward to exploring Dickinson more. Through facebook I met a gal down the road from us that is very interested in making shopping trips with me when needed.

Oh, one more thing, Dish or Direct TV? We have always had cable so I need some help deciding which of those two are better. Being Cheeseheads, we will HAVE to have the NFL package!!! Do they charge for each "outlet" they install in the home. I think we are going to need an access line in about 5 places, ugh!

OK.....back to packing.....

Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 AM

That sounds exactly like my entry. Great idea with the front load and counter top. Here I've been thinking of tearing out the garden tub and moving them to the master bath. Hmmm lol. Glad your developer has been good. I work with planning and zoning on a couple of levels here and I'm getting a bit jaded. Good luck with the move and let me know of I can help with anything. Been here for 4 generations so I know the lay of the land pretty well

Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinj View Post
That sounds exactly like my entry. Great idea with the front load and counter top. Here I've been thinking of tearing out the garden tub and moving them to the master bath. Hmmm lol. Glad your developer has been good. I work with planning and zoning on a couple of levels here and I'm getting a bit jaded. Good luck with the move and let me know of I can help with anything. Been here for 4 generations so I know the lay of the land pretty well
Thanks Cinj! I think the counter top will not only mask the appliances but should visually streamline the area. Appliances are not the typical thing I'm used to seeing when I first walk in a home, even if it's off the garage, lol. The counter top will also be useful to place things on that are being brought into the house, bags of groceries for example. There is also a built in bench/storage thingy as you immediately walk in that door along that same wall. It's great for taking dirty work boots off. There is still room along that same space to place a freezer, and in keeping with the height of the washer and dryer I will use our chest freezer that is already out there.

It is a bit of a challenge for me to live without the basement I'm used to so I'm obviously forced to get creative with storage and smart placement solutions.
The standard sink in this model of home was black. I didn't want it, not only because it seemed to dark in on the kitchen island but because the water is so terribly hard. Keeping a stainless steel sink spot free is impossible where my husband is living and black posed to be a nightmare in the making in my opinion.

Four generations in ND, that's great! This girl might be from Wisconsin but I should fit right in as I love my lutefisk and enjoy making Krumkake during the holidays. And on that note, do the grocery stores out there have Tom & Jerry batter available during the holidays?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks Cinj! I think the counter top will not only mask the appliances but should visually streamline the area. Appliances are not the typical thing I'm used to seeing when I first walk in a home, even if it's off the garage, lol. The counter top will also be useful to place things on that are being brought into the house, bags of groceries for example. There is also a built in bench/storage thingy as you immediately walk in that door along that same wall. It's great for taking dirty work boots off. There is still room along that same space to place a freezer, and in keeping with the height of the washer and dryer I will use our chest freezer that is already out there.

It is a bit of a challenge for me to live without the basement I'm used to so I'm obviously forced to get creative with storage and smart placement solutions.
The standard sink in this model of home was black. I didn't want it, not only because it seemed to dark in on the kitchen island but because the water is so terribly hard. Keeping a stainless steel sink spot free is impossible where my husband is living and black posed to be a nightmare in the making in my opinion.

Four generations in ND, that's great! This girl might be from Wisconsin but I should fit right in as I love my lutefisk and enjoy making Krumkake during the holidays. And on that note, do the grocery stores out there have Tom & Jerry batter available during the holidays?
It is almost lutefisk feed season at the churchs in the area. Can't stand the crap myself in spite of my scandahoovian heritage but I do like my lefse. Norwegian goodies are abundant. Tom & Jerry batter is readily available during the holiday. You'll do just fine.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinj View Post
It is almost lutefisk feed season at the churchs in the area. Can't stand the crap myself in spite of my scandahoovian heritage but I do like my lefse. Norwegian goodies are abundant. Tom & Jerry batter is readily available during the holiday. You'll do just fine.
OK....No Menard's but Tom & Jerry batter ..........YES! I can do this!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
We're getting kind of off topic here, aren't we? I thought this thread was about a new grocery store in Williston.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
We're getting kind of off topic here, aren't we? I thought this thread was about a new grocery store in Williston.
Well, maybe the new grocery store will carry Tom & Jerry batter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston