Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 AM

32 posts, read 102,231 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea if someone is more likely to get hired at a place when they put the reference down of a current employee there? My friend's boyfriend is suggesting to his company that my husband get hired there and we put his name down on the application as a reference or referral. Does this carry any weight, if any at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 01:36 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyd11 View Post
Does anyone have any idea if someone is more likely to get hired at a place when they put the reference down of a current employee there? My friend's boyfriend is suggesting to his company that my husband get hired there and we put his name down on the application as a reference or referral. Does this carry any weight, if any at all?

It depends if that employee is worth a ....

I'd say yes if your friends boyfriend is a good worker. If he sucks, then NO I would not put him down.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:37 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,428 times
Your husband should also make that point verbally to the hiring manager as well. (If he gets a chance to talk with anyone) It may get overlooked on an application. Sometimes the apps go to different locations and the hiring staff may not know who the referral is from.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Ok, thanks! I'm going to have my husband call next week to make sure his application was received, etc. so maybe he can mention it then.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:16 PM

91 posts, read 294,968 times
Sorry, I'm back. I kinda abandoned the thread, but i was doing my 14 days on the rig, and now back home for 7 days.

Updates on Williston and ND oil jobs in general. I work for Precision Drilling, and what used to be a great company for entry level positions is now requiring !+ years of experience. Companies are advertising on the highways with billboards but no one is hiring, its so bizarre lol. Theres lots of construction jobs around, but like I've said, 1 out of 1000 people get hired with Precision on a month basis right now, and they arent looking for noobs.

Don't quit your jobs to come here right now if you have one expecting to get on a rig. You can keep calling and harassing HR, but bottom line is they are going to ignore your calls and messages and delete voice mails immediately. I'd never discourage people from trying, but as someone who is actively working on a rig, and knows what happens in the office and with other drilling companies on a daily basis, dont pack your bags so fast, and don't expect a lot right now with drilling companies like i said, unless you have a Class A CDL with endorsements and 1+ years of experience with the ability to pass a pre interview test to prove your knowledge. Good luck, and dont be stupid and put your live or families life in danger. If you are single, and wanting a new experience, hell what do you got to lose. May as well try it.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinksters View Post
Sorry, I'm back. I kinda abandoned the thread, but i was doing my 14 days on the rig, and now back home for 7 days.

Updates on Williston and ND oil jobs in general. I work for Precision Drilling, and what used to be a great company for entry level positions is now requiring !+ years of experience. Companies are advertising on the highways with billboards but no one is hiring, its so bizarre lol. Theres lots of construction jobs around, but like I've said, 1 out of 1000 people get hired with Precision on a month basis right now, and they arent looking for noobs.

Don't quit your jobs to come here right now if you have one expecting to get on a rig. You can keep calling and harassing HR, but bottom line is they are going to ignore your calls and messages and delete voice mails immediately. I'd never discourage people from trying, but as someone who is actively working on a rig, and knows what happens in the office and with other drilling companies on a daily basis, dont pack your bags so fast, and don't expect a lot right now with drilling companies like i said, unless you have a Class A CDL with endorsements and 1+ years of experience with the ability to pass a pre interview test to prove your knowledge. Good luck, and dont be stupid and put your live or families life in danger. If you are single, and wanting a new experience, hell what do you got to lose. May as well try it.
So you are saying if they have a CDL with experience, there is still a good chance of getting hired? What companies out there are providing or helping with housing?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,461 times
I would like to briefly point out that there are more jobs here than just rig jobs that ARE oilfield jobs.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyd11 View Post
So you are saying if they have a CDL with experience, there is still a good chance of getting hired? What companies out there are providing or helping with housing?
There's a BETTER chance, but even then drilling companies just aren't needing people at this moment. Theres lots of other jobs on the oilfield like Roustabout positions, ect that pay good, and lots of other positions.

To answer your second question, I'm not sure. All the big companies provide or help with housing in camps ect or hotels. Ive got some friends with Halliburton that have been living in that hotel next to Walmart in Williston. I've been staying in one of Precision Drillings man camps. You just need to call around and ask, but just so you know, you will be taken more seriously if you are physically here and have housing because thats what EVERYONE here needs as well. Idk man, I'm just grateful I got here at the right time before all hell broke loose.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I would like to briefly point out that there are more jobs here than just rig jobs that ARE oilfield jobs.
Absolutely, it just seems like everyone thinks they are getting on a rig right when they get here with a man camp, I'm just trying to show the first hand, harsh reality of it.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:22 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinksters View Post
Absolutely, it just seems like everyone thinks they are getting on a rig right when they get here with a man camp, I'm just trying to show the first hand, harsh reality of it.
Completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston