Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:23 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Shower trailer (IMHO) is not a good idea. Where will you dispose of the water? The city already has articles in the paper saying they are denying any more water hookup to the north and west of Williston. City wastewater plant is maxed out. It will be expanded but some are having to deliver their waste water to Minot since Williston won't take it. The other problem with shower houses is that the city has facilities for showers. Gyms and gas stations seem to keep most happy. Why pay $5 for a shower each time when you can get a gym membership for $40 and hang around there and sit in the hot tub. I've heard a lot of forest service guys have that same idea but the difference here is that this isn't the forest. We have options for showers.

More people need to be fed than showered in this town. Food wagons really die off in the winter months. I can only imagine this spring that we will have dozen of them around Williston. Watford City has "boomed" as well. I'm not aware of any cook wagons in that area but I'd imagine there are some. There is still a bbq place north of Williston that was serving the other day. A cold spell is coming so we'll see if they keep it going or not. There was a few ladies than ran a roach coach around williston and out to the rigs close to Williston. They made a killing but shut it down for winter. They would park at Halliburton in the morning and they couldn't keep up with orders. I'm sure they made enough money to go somewhere warm for winter. Hopefully they are back in a few months.
The rural water system that I'm hooked up to has a hold on new connections to the north and west of town. They're putting in bigger mains, but that won't be completed until next spring or summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 PM

89 posts, read 167,174 times
Food truck sounds the best, I like the coffee idea, a fast food to go only business, thrift store, having building materials shipped in. Good luck and since you're in Minnesota we should talk, I can run your business when you don't. I'm leaving here in April as well.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Jon View Post
Thanks so far guys, I appreciate the firsthand feedback. I have been in business for myself since I got out of the Air Force in '97, so I am prepared for all of the processes with licensing and all. I have also thought about a trailer full of cold weather gear. Maybe I could do both--the burrito/coffee truck pulling a trailer full of gear!!

What about the shower trailer? Is there a need. I like the idea, but have concerns about the functionality because of the need to be self contained. A lot of down time dumping the waste water and refilling tanks. It could be justified if there was a great enough need.
You have an outstanding idea, but the county has shut you down. The county has said, there will be no more!!!!!!

But you have some great idea's. So don't give up.. The fact that you have been in business for yourself really doesn't mean anything until you've been in business in this area and you know that. But there are a lot of regulations that you have to live with, up here. I don't care where you have went in the country, there are differenent laws and you have to follow them. May not be fair, may not be just, but that's what they require. Live with them. hahahahaha Sorry, that's the way they are.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-03-2011 at 10:19 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 02:30 AM

231 posts, read 873,167 times
  • A Pack and ship with mailbox rental
  • laundry service with pickup and delivery
  • Redwing boot store
  • mini storage units
  • truck accessory and remote starter installs
  • chicago style hot dog restaurant

Old 12-03-2011, 08:01 AM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra dweller View Post
  • A Pack and ship with mailbox rental
  • laundry service with pickup and delivery
  • Redwing boot store
  • mini storage units
  • truck accessory and remote starter installs
  • chicago style hot dog restaurant
All very good ideas. I'm not sure about the hot dog restaurant but all the others would do very well in Williston. Mini storage units would be the top pick for me but would require quite a bit of cash. Land is nearly impossible to get and if you find it it's gonna cost ya, big.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 19,207 times
Thanks again so far. I think I am going to drive out after Christmas. Stay a day or two at my uncle's in Halliday and a day or two at my aunt's in Williston. I'll check out everything in between. Maybe I can bring some cold weather gear if anybody needs anything.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:38 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
I have to disagree that a Chicago Style hotdog place is not a good idea. ANY restaraunt that opens up would be successful...if you can find workers. Because of staffing issues, a full service restaraunt would be harder to operate I'm guessing, but a a smaller family owned or kiosk style restaraunt would go over well. I bet if someone set up a drive-thru Chicago Style that would have a simple limited menu drive thru and maybe a small seating area(less maintenance) and needing fewer workers, would go over great! I bet you could set a couple up and they would do very well! One out near all the new hotels in north Williston, and another around the McDonald's area or downtown. Simple, Quick and drive thru...you would make a killing! Help could be on the way with the retail and resturaunt worker shortage with news that they are expecting 800 to 1,200 new students in the Williston School district next year. I'm sure many will be in the elementary level, but I'm sure some will be high school age. For those who have not been out by Wal-mart, there are 8 hotels within a couple blocks of each other (Holiday Inn and Best Western Atrea are under construction) I for the life of me can't understand why no one has put in a Wendy's, Burger King, etc... could you imagine the "walk in" traffic they would have? Worker shortage I understand....but man if I had a couple million?? I would still go for it.

Last edited by Roloff1976; 12-03-2011 at 07:49 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
I have to disagree that a Chicago Style hotdog place is not a good idea. ANY restaraunt that opens up would be successful...if you can find workers. Because of staffing issues, a full service restaraunt would be harder to operate I'm guessing, but a a smaller family owned or kiosk style restaraunt would go over well. I bet if someone set up a drive-thru Chicago Style that would have a simple limited menu drive thru and maybe a small seating area(less maintenance) and needing fewer workers, would go over great! I bet you could set a couple up and they would do very well! One out near all the new hotels in north Williston, and another around the McDonald's area or downtown. Simple, Quick and drive thru...you would make a killing! Help could be on the way with the retail and resturaunt worker shortage with news that they are expecting 800 to 1,200 new students in the Williston School district next year. I'm sure many will be in the elementary level, but I'm sure some will be high school age. For those who have not been out by Wal-mart, there are 8 hotels within a couple blocks of each other (Holiday Inn and Best Western Atrea are under construction) I for the life of me can't understand why no one has put in a Wendy's, Burger King, etc... could you imagine the "walk in" traffic they would have? Worker shortage I understand....but man if I had a couple million?? I would still go for it.
Any restaurant that opens us is not necessarily successful. Oh burrito which was sante fe fresh then was quiznos twice before that does not seem to be too successful. I went there today and it was horrible. Cars parked there at lunch but that's about it. I doubt there are many people that go back twice. Location is very important but the food must be good. Hotdogs will get old. You'll get truckers but they too need more than hot dogs. It could be busy for a few weeks just like the roach coach west of Williston last year then it will die off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston