Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 PM

21 posts, read 41,670 times

Advertisements

Hey there its been about November since I've been to the ND threads but I'm back because next week we will be coming up there to check everything out and decide wether or not my husband will be taking a job up there. My question to the ladies out there or husbands that can speak for their wives.. is it really as bad as what I've heard? I've been told I wont be able to go for a walk, go to Walmart without having to fear for mine and my childs life among other things and just how sooooo crappy it iis up there??? I'm the type of person that makes the most of every situation and making everything work and looking on the positive side! But when your fed all this negative info you begin to worry. I just want to get some insight from the women up there and how you handle this "negativity" from people. I'm excited about this adventure and want the best for my family and want to be prepared for how others are handling it! Any insight is welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 04:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Hi, I do remember you from Nov. at that time you were already planning the move before christmas. I'm guessing from your post that you haven't yet been up here. I do not live in Williston, I'm on East Side of N.D., but I have vested interests there.
I am female, and truthfully, I am nervous about even going there to tend to my property. So, I have someone do it for me.

But, I did see that you are used to areas like Dallas, large areas. So, you may fare much better than the average person in adjusting.

I think if you are heading up for a look see next week, you'll know what you want too after you spend a few days here. Hopefully you have some housing, and a job lined up. Plenty of jobs if you have housing covered.

If you have a background in HR, medical field, or even want to open a daycare( I hear there aren't any) You will do fine financially, especially w/ a hubby making decent money in the oil fields.

Walmart no longer allows folks to park in their lot, the ones sleeping in vehicles or campers, but that just means folks are parked where ever they can get away with, all over town which to me is worse.

Renting apartments the rumor is you'll be paying upwards of 2500-3000 for a 1 bedroom, if you can find one right now. I do see there are plenty being readied for this next few mths, not positive on that time frame. I have seen 3000 mth for 1 bedrooms, to 100 for a basement bedroom. It is sort of the luck of the draw it seems.

You may need to read and update yourself, plenty of threads on all topics you are asking about.

You can read the threads, crime is plentiful, and it depends on who you talk to whether you get a straight answer.

I'll put it this way, I wouldn't let my teen be out alone anywhere at this point. I raised teens there, I know what it was in early 2000's. They could go sit out and park their cars and BS the night away among their classmates, the police would pull up and BS w/ em every little while, sort of keeping an eye on things in a friendly small town way.

It isn't that way now. Check the threads re: concealed weapons, etc.

Ok, well, I'm sure there will be folks saying many of us exaggerate, and that is because they don't know who I know. I'll leave it at. Be cautious in going anywhere alone, w/ or w/out your children, at any hour of the day/night. Your big city instincts will be helpful. Travel safe.

Last edited by JanND; 02-25-2012 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM

454 posts, read 940,367 times
I agree with everything JanND posted above. I think you and your family will be just fine in Williston. Some cities are getting pro-active and offering things like this (taken from the Dickinson Police Dept. Facebook page):
Dickinson Police Department

After receiving numerous requests, the Dickinson Police Department has put together an informational seminar entitled "Situational Awareness." The hour-long presentation covers personal safety topics also includes a Q&A session. It is open to the public, and is also available on-demand for businesses and organizations.

Here is a list of upcoming seminars that are free and open to the public;
- Thursday, February 23rd @ 7:00 PM at the Dickinson Library
- Wednesday, February 29th @ 9:00 AM at City Hall
- Tuesday, March 6th @ 11:00 AM at the West River Community Center
- Wednesday, March 7th @ 7:00 PM at the West River Community Center

* PLEASE CALL DARNYL AT 701-456-7755 to RSVP YOUR SPOT AT ANY OF THE SEMINARS LISTED ABOVE *

Old 02-25-2012, 07:38 AM

6 posts, read 17,616 times
I can just tell you my experience in and around Williston. My husband and I were based in the Epping (about 15 m. from Williston) from July to November of 2011. We really enjoyed it. I went to Williston at least several times a week and had no problems, save one guy who followed me around the park outside of williston that has the 2 small lakes (can't remember the name of it). Worst experiences I ever had was the Wal-Mart. Day or night, it's ridiculously crowded. I went out and about picture taking, fishing and such during the day and never had a problem. However if I ever felt uncomfortable, I left. What the previous poster said about rent prices is very true. Almost all rental properties have been raised to extreme heights, much to the dismay of the previous local renters. Many property owners are taking advantage of the boom, figuring someone will pay the high rents. And with housing at an extreme shortage, their right. But my short take on our experience was a good one. We based ourselves in a trailer out in the country a bit away from Williston, peaceful sunny days, pretty views, and made some friends. Not to say crime and such isn't out there, perhaps we were lucky. However!!!! Do be careful entering, exiting and turning on and off the highways. Very large trucks at very high speeds do not mix well with people not paying attention. Also many of the truck drivers are new. There ARE fatal accidents almost on a daily basis. These are outside of town, on the 2 main highways which are overloaded by all the trucks doing business there. Be careful and you'll be ok.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM

21 posts, read 41,670 times
We already have housing covered. So thank gosh we won't be having to pay that much for rent much less to try and find a place! Yes we are from the DFW area so we are accustomed to crime etc but I wouldn't say I'm scared to go to Walmart here. Actually I don't shop at Walmart at all usually. Job is lined up as well we are going to go up there and decide if we want to do this or not. I take made with me everywhere down here and I'm always aware of my surroundings. My mom was a victim of a rape so she always raised me to be aware of my setting. I don't have a teenager I have a 2yr old so I won't have to worry about them going anywhere alone. I'm a pretty big home body do I'm not opposed to staying in and just waiting for my husband if we need to get out. Is there a lot of break-ins or? Jan we thought we were going to be out there before Christmas but at the time they didn't have work provided family housing and now they do so that is why we waited it out thanks for all the info I really appreciate it all!!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 AM

You are most fortunate to have the housing. There was another poster recently that got a job offer w/ new apartment that was provided by the job. Nice. Well, the reason we often refer to the Walmart on this forum is that in Williston there isn't much else. That is the only box store around for about 90 miles. There are a couple local grocery stores, a couple hard ware hank, building/farm implement stores, the quick stops and that about it. There are a couple very cute stores downtown, crafty decor type places that I enjoyed while living there. There are a group of oil field wives, also they have a facebook, Williston Oil Field wives....I think. They may have some good tips etc. You'll probably be fine, you have some good skills built in...sorry about your Mother's experience. Well, keep us updated
Higgins...So sorry about your experience, that must have been scarey. I believe the area is Spring Lake?? My friend (williston) told me there are a lot of folks parking and sleeping there lately....they closed Walmart to overnight camping.

Last edited by JanND; 02-25-2012 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: adding sentence

Old 02-26-2012, 09:07 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
I asked my husband last night what he thought:

He said, "It's a $---hole." And, as a working cowboy his entire life, we've lived in some dumpy corners of the world.
He said he wouldn't hesitate to move us to Minot, but there's no way he'd move us to Williston. Not at this point in time anyway. He also said traffic is like Denver rush hour. All the time.

I'm glad he's based over by Minot.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 AM

6 posts, read 17,616 times
Default Spring Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You are most fortunate to have the housing. There was another poster recently that got a job offer w/ new apartment that was provided by the job. Nice. Well, the reason we often refer to the Walmart on this forum is that in Williston there isn't much else. That is the only box store around for about 90 miles. There are a couple local grocery stores, a couple hard ware hank, building/farm implement stores, the quick stops and that about it. There are a couple very cute stores downtown, crafty decor type places that I enjoyed while living there. There are a group of oil field wives, also they have a facebook, Williston Oil Field wives....I think. They may have some good tips etc. You'll probably be fine, you have some good skills built in...sorry about your Mother's experience. Well, keep us updated
Higgins...So sorry about your experience, that must have been scarey. I believe the area is Spring Lake?? My friend (williston) told me there are a lot of folks parking and sleeping there lately....they closed Walmart to overnight camping.

Yep, that's it, Spring Lake. It's a really pretty place, and I've been there several times with and without my husband. It's always been peaceful, and the guys that approached me, sat with me, talked, perhaps it was jjust me but I was uncomfortable.. no one else around. After a bit I pretended my husband texted me to pick him up and I left. I'll still go there but not alone. Sorry to hear there's lots of partying and such going on now. My first thought is the police should patrol thru there occassionally but then I remembered, there are only so many of them and they're already spread thin. At any rate, we'll be back with bells on in a few weeks (coming back from Alaska). Thanks for your kind words.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM

I do not blame you, a female, for that matter a male can't be too careful now a days, it is always best to be with another person(s). I personally would not be in any areas that are isolated like that by myself now. It is not the same as it used to be anywhere on that side of the state. I know some folks don't want to acknowledge this fact, but it is a fact. I hope you do really well coming back, and keep us updated. Thanks for the nice post and compliments, Jan

Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
I agree with everything JanND posted above. I think you and your family will be just fine in Williston. Some cities are getting pro-active and offering things like this (taken from the Dickinson Police Dept. Facebook page):
Dickinson Police Department

After receiving numerous requests, the Dickinson Police Department has put together an informational seminar entitled "Situational Awareness." The hour-long presentation covers personal safety topics also includes a Q&A session. It is open to the public, and is also available on-demand for businesses and organizations.

Here is a list of upcoming seminars that are free and open to the public;
- Thursday, February 23rd @ 7:00 PM at the Dickinson Library
- Wednesday, February 29th @ 9:00 AM at City Hall
- Tuesday, March 6th @ 11:00 AM at the West River Community Center
- Wednesday, March 7th @ 7:00 PM at the West River Community Center

* PLEASE CALL DARNYL AT 701-456-7755 to RSVP YOUR SPOT AT ANY OF THE SEMINARS LISTED ABOVE *

NDP, You know of any results from these meetings?? Any thing that could be posted regarding what was advised etc. would be very helpful. I also just clicked the link you listed above, it seems that they post some good info to public on their facebook page. Think all areas should do that. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston