Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:17 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,537 times

Advertisements

Developers and the city of Williston are all gun shy because of the $20,000,000 debt that was left here in the 80's. Williston fronted the money for developers to build here in the 80's and that really backfired when the boom went bust. The city is looking for "State" help more than Federal help. If the state would put up some money, Williston would push for developers to get this development ball rollin. ND is by no means relying on help from the gov't as NY as you say. ND is as self sufficient as it gets I think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:39 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,849 times
A question for the North Dakotans on here:

Aren't there homes for sale/rent in the small towns an hour or so from the Williston area?
While I would prefer not driving 6+ miles to work every day,I would do it if I had a place to stay.
Just wondering....

Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 PM

979 posts, read 3,670,035 times
cocytus...the problem about finding a sale/rental in a small town an hour away from Williston, is those towns are in the same boat as Williston. The oil boom is happening all over northwest North Dakota and this includes the small towns. Towns like Watford, Sidney, Tioga, Stanley, Crosby are all experiencing housing shortages.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
cocytus...the problem about finding a sale/rental in a small town an hour away from Williston, is those towns are in the same boat as Williston. The oil boom is happening all over northwest North Dakota and this includes the small towns. Towns like Watford, Sidney, Tioga, Stanley, Crosby are all experiencing housing shortages.
I see...and I meant 60+ miles..not 6+...
Guess I'll have to modify my plans if I relocate.
Thanks for the information!

Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
This just doesn't make sense. Why is ND's population stagnant when there are so many jobs? Why aren't more houses being built if all these new people are moving in?

On the flip side, where I live has very low job growth but there are both tons of new homes being built and tons of abandoned houses everywhere in the inner cities and the countryside.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,537 times
Williston's problem is development. There are almost no lots left inside the city limits to build on. The city doesn't want to take the huge risk of expanding the city limits without some help form the state and developers don't want all the risk of buying land that has no infrastructure. Williston was left with $20,000,000 of debt in the 80's when oil went bust and learned a hard lesson. At that time Williston was sticking their neck out for developers that abandoned the area when the boom left. There are houses, townhouses, and apartments being built all over the city, but it still isn't enough to keep up with influx of workers. Williston has been awarded some state help so I think our future looks really bright.

The population in Williston and all of the surrounding communities is definately not stagnant. We've got people living in tents and if they count towards our census we should be much more than the 12,000 that we have been at.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:46 PM

203 posts, read 602,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
This just doesn't make sense. Why is ND's population stagnant when there are so many jobs? Why aren't more houses being built if all these new people are moving in?

On the flip side, where I live has very low job growth but there are both tons of new homes being built and tons of abandoned houses everywhere in the inner cities and the countryside.
In many cases, economics is a study in irrational behavior. Unfortunately, HS economcs teaches one to balance checkbooks, and very few students take either macro or microeconomics. The President and Congress are a perfect examples of this.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 PM

979 posts, read 3,670,035 times
kychlo...I think the city commission is meeting tonight on some new land they may be developing with some infrastructure (aka: the money the state is bonding for the city)...it is along west 26th on the south side (on the way to the municipal golf course). The new subdivision is called Timber subdivision and it is where they are hoping to get another 200 or so building lots ready to go. I agree, Williston's population is not stagnet, and there is a lot of building going on, just not enough to accomodate the influx...but like you said, Williston is on the right track and can expect even better things to come its way.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:41 AM

80 posts, read 209,932 times
Western ND, where the oil is, certainly has been in a boom cycle and housing has been scarce. I hear they're working to try to resolve that, but have heard cautions not to move out there until you secure a place to live. That being said, eastern ND -- without the oil but with two of largest cities in ND (Fargo and Grand Forks) -- has remained economically stable, has some jobs available and has a healthy real estate market.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:57 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
Basically ND doesn't want to over build during a boom cycle and then by left to pay for too much unneeded infrastructure during a bust cycle when many people leave.

In Kentucky's mining areas people who loose their jobs fake having a disability to get a gov't check to live off of in their mobile homes rather the moving somewhere where there are still jobs. This mentality is why Appalachia has chronic poverty and unemployment while places like ND have nearly zero unemployment or poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston