Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Scott Walker or Tom Barrett?
Scott Walker 69 60.00%
Tom Barrett 46 40.00%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
I know many Dems who have voted for Republicans, and I know at least one who has voted for a conservative Republican.

Perhaps registered Republicans do roam more freely around the electoral spectrum than registered Dems do, but perhaps that's because there are more and varied conservative Democrats than liberal Republicans.

If there were a Republican running for office who is fiscally conservative and pro-business yet willing to invest in key public sectors, and who supports equal rights and civil liberties for all people, then that person would get my vote. Unfortunately, there are very few Republicans like that anywhere in this country--mostly on the West Coast and Eastern Seaboard.
I totally agree. Contrary to popular belief, the US has moved further to the Right over the last few decades, so each election it gets harder and harder to make Lefties excited about voting for a particular candidate. It's not that I love Democrats so much, quite the opposite actually, it's just that 99% of Republicans scare the living bejeezus out of me. So it's more a vote against the Republicans than it is a vote for the Democrats. I could have easily voted for John McCain circa 2000 (too bad I was only 17), but the John McCain of today is merely a shell of his former maverick self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'm not going to get into a urination match but you are aware Gov.Jim Doyle has taken out over a billion dollars out of the transportation fund to use for "other" things. I'm just saying.

Fight over state transportation fund takes a new turn - JSOnline

Nets to catch falling chunks from Hoan Bridge - JSOnline

" But Senate Majority Leader Russ Decker (D-Wausau) said Vrakas' stance was ironic because Vrakas voted to transfer hundreds of millions of dollars from the transportation fund when he was in the Assembly and his fellow Republicans controlled both houses of the Legislature."

Also note that Waukesha County is the most Republican County in the state.

The problem is sufficient taxes to maintain infrastructure and necessary programs.

Both sides are guilty for diferent reasons:

Republicans love tax breaks for business; WMC is one of their top backers- $-wise. Remember when the GOP (under Tommy Thompson, who wracked-up most of our deficit before the Dems fixed it when Doyle first got in the office) decided that if any Wisconsin business had a mailbox in Las Vegas they could claim to be an out-of-state entity, and therefore pay no tax?

Yet, they are afraid to do the logical other half of the equation: cut public services. I was in Grad School way back in the late 80's and had to take Public Finance. The Prof- an admitted conservative type- spoke about the so-called 'Tax Payer Bill of Rights' which had just failed to win approval- although the GOP controlled the Assembly, Senate, and Governor's Office at the time.
'They know that if it were to pass that the look of the cities in Wisconsin would change for the worse.' was his summation.

But, the Democrats do not have the honesty to level with the general public: to tell them that the only reason why we have such a high percentage of our roads paved (we are first in that area), or have good schools- why a cop or fire crew will get to your house in a timely manner- is because we have had the willingness to pony up the money for said operations.

So both sides skate around the reality, and the general public is mostly clueless about what it is they are reallly voting on when they fill-in that line with the felt pen.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
I totally agree. Contrary to popular belief, the US has moved further to the Right over the last few decades, so each election it gets harder and harder to make Lefties excited about voting for a particular candidate. It's not that I love Democrats so much, quite the opposite actually, it's just that 99% of Republicans scare the living bejeezus out of me. So it's more a vote against the Republicans than it is a vote for the Democrats. I could have easily voted for John McCain circa 2000 (too bad I was only 17), but the John McCain of today is merely a shell of his former maverick self.

This is pretty much my response as well.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 AM

77 posts, read 253,046 times
I'm going for Walker

I don't trust Barrett in leading Wisconsin, he will raise our taxes and charge us for every little thing. Look at your bills already!

I know he is going to do nothing for the state but bad things like Doyle.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
I would like to say Congrats Scott Walker!!! and to David Clark and of Course Ron Johnson.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post

Too funny - I think the same thing about Democrats! (99% of Dems scare the living bejeezus out of me)!! I'll definitely be voting for Scott Walker. Tom Barrett seems like a very nice person, but I personally don't believe in liberal fiscal policies, and I DEFINITELY don't believe in the liberal social agenda. I'm excited to see Doyle leave. I think Walker can lead our state in the right direction

Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,862,590 times
I agree. Barrett seems like a nice man, but with the state Wisconsin is in financially Walker would be the better candidate. I like what he has to offer.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,123 times
I tend to look over the candidates carefully and Tom Barrett got a pretty good plan for jobs right here.

Tom's Plan to Create Wisconsin jobs (http://www.barrettforwisconsin.com/issues/creating_jobs - broken link)

To compare him to Doyle is rather foolish because he was the person competing against Doyle in the 2002 race for Governor. I believe he was also much more organized as well and with his plan for Wisconsin I sincerely can't see why the people chose Doyle over Barrett.

While Lower Taxes ideally seem like something awesome we still need taxes to maintain services such as road ways, public schools, keeping us as one of the best schools in the country. (Milwaukee, Racine, and Kenosha aside) I'd be willing to pay affordable taxes for helping families, making sure roads fall into ruin or bridges or buildings don't fall apart.

Despite how ideal it seems to have no taxes, you have to realize without those taxes, our state cannot fund for many aspects that we take for granted. His suggestions for jobs are pretty excellent ones too. Make sure to give it a good read before you make your judgments.

Scott Walker I was looking forward too, but his debating is not too hot, his issues don't sit well with me, he's being pushed too far right even if it isn't his actual beliefs and considering I read his plan of vague commentary ... But...

Presenting Scott Walker's 68 Page Plan to Create 250,000 Jobs | Scott Walker for Wisconsin Governor

This had to be the kicker for me not to vote for him? It’s hackish and sophomoric. It might have been a giant joke that back fired but I don't like our jobs being treated like that. I know a few friends of mine that tried that in middle school and they got an F.

So I'm voting for Tom Barrett. The only good news about Scott Walker running is now that the mental health facility some of my family is at finally has some proper funding.

Walker seeks extra $5.5 million for mental health - JSOnline

It's pretty good. Except now he's spending... Oh, I'm glad the facility is cared for now personally. It's just he went against what he was for before and might possibility put us further in the deficit.

Last edited by HookerButt; 09-23-2010 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: That's it. I'm dumb. Just tell me how to link properly on this forum. :(

Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Barrett berates Walker over aide's online post - JSOnline

Well, at least Barrett is attacking Walker on the hard issues.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times
I would like to point-out the obvious- that thanks to a Supreme Court which last year struck down limits on how much corporations can give to candidates which had been in place since the 1890's, these will be our first auctions, rather than elections, for public office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin