Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon357 View Post
I think it's time for concealed carry. I'm a state correctional officer,my life gets threatened on a daily basis by inmates,and I live in Milwaukee. I think it's kind of garbage that I can't carry for protection.
This blows my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 AM

132 posts, read 279,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I think your specific situation falls into the same overall category as police carrying weapons off duty:

Bad guys are bad guys 24/7, and they don't factor in such niceties like shift-breaks/off duty.

I would think that there is some kind training/cert program for correctional officers, but do not know for sure, as I have never been a correctional officer in Milwaukee.
What gives this guy a pass on your requirement that he be a police office, can a normal person not receive the same kind of training and get a cert also? .

Kind of double standard if you ask me, so therefore your aurguements hold no water.

who is to sit on this board to decides who else gets your approval for a pass on being able to CC?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorey View Post
What gives this guy a pass on your requirement that he be a police office, can a normal person not receive the same kind of training and get a cert also? .

Kind of double standard if you ask me, so therefore your aurguements hold no water.

who is to sit on this board to decides who else gets your approval for a pass on being able to CC?
Here's the real deal:

My favorite example which I used often was that of a Florida woman who had passed her class and was 'qualified' to carry a weapon.

One night, while ALONE (very important) she heard a noise, and having had previous minor vandalism too her property, did NOT call the cops, but resolved to take matters in her own hands.

She got out of bed, grabbed her .357, and proceeded to her 2nd floor bathroom where she had a good vantage point. She then steathily attempted to open the locked window. But to do that she needed both hands, so she set the pistol on the back of the commode and turned around to unlock the window.

When she turned around, the .357 fell into the toilet- butt down. It discharged, and the bullett struck her in the buttocks.
She called 911 asap; the 'noise' turned out to be her own cat.

This story illustrates the prime maxim of the situation:

It is not how proficient one is with a weapon. The subject above was well qualifiied with her weapon, and on a pistol range in daylight was quite accurate.

But, at night, alone, she was in a situation where she was way over her head, and had NO training for, because that type of training comes only from OJT experience, and even then trained, experienced officers make mistakes.

But far, far, less - and not as serious- as the ones made by untrained civilians.

That is why if you, or anyone, wants to play cop, then do what is necessary:

Take the exam. Join an agency/force.

It's far less dangerous for both yourself and society.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Common sense is why.

Carry of any kind by untrained citizens does not do anything to the crime rate (low, here), and given the experience of other states will result in a small (but if it's you or your loved one, not so 'small') number of excess homicides due to shootings done in either the heat of anger, or by accident.

Already one incident of that in the Milwaukee Metro.

All it will do is give some (few-mostly white males- who are neurotic enough to need a piece in order to play Rambo in their minds) a reason to pack heat, and make cops jobs that more difficult.

But with the new crop of yahoos in Madison, I'm sure concealed carry legislation will pass.

But will it get you a steady job?
I would ask you if you believe that No-Issue makes more sense than Shall-Issue provided that the applicants are trained and pass a criminal background check, but judging from your "play Rambo" comment I can see that you are not serious about this issue.

To everyone else, good luck, I hope your state legislature passes a good cc bill soon.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Lady getting shot in the butt with her own gun is a funny story, too bad it was her own fault
She did not properly execute gun control. Once it is in your hands never lose attention of it. It is not a toy to be waving around or laying around.[/SIZE]
IT IS A LOADED GUN THAT IS TO BE USED IN SELF DEFENSE
One more thing she did wrong, she should have been using a shotgun for home defense at night time, and it should have been loaded shot shot slug]1. When you are woken up you are at first disorientated
2. Adrenaline pumping through your system makes the first shots go a tad bit wide
She should have been trained properly but hey you own words
It is not how proficient one is with a weapon. The subject above was well qualifiied with her weapon, and on a pistol range in daylight was quite accurate”
I call BS on that statement she may have been trained in the use of a hand gun but she was not trained in self defense

Last edited by restorey; 11-11-2010 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: font size

Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 AM

Geechie, nice try but you still did not answer my question on what gives that guy a pass, is it some macho cop bull**** "oh he is in some sort of law enforcement he should have one?"
I really don't give a rat's behind about some dumbass that lost control of his or her own weapon. There are plenty of cops that have done the same dang thing, google the dumbass that got shot with his own weapon while he was drunk at a party right here in WEisconsin, so that kind of blows a hole in your training BS.
You want gun control it is called proper breath and aim control and ALWAYS remember to look at what is behind an object before you Squeeze the trigger that is gun control

Old 11-23-2010, 05:49 PM

just doing a bump up because i am waiting on a legit answer from Geechie North

Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 AM

709 posts, read 656,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorey View Post
just doing a bump up because i am waiting on a legit answer from Geechie North
A legit answer? Don't hold your breath

Old 12-06-2010, 06:43 PM

361 posts, read 862,064 times
I entered this conversation a little late. I've been a LEO for just over 30 years and would support concealed carry with proper training. I think one important thing, among many, to be covered is the right to use force. What I'm trying to stress with that comment is, law enforcement has a duty to pursue and apprehend suspected criminals while the armed citizen does not. Since there have been very few problems with concealed carry in other states I would not expect anything different here.

The other thing I think of that many maybe don't: WI has many rural areas with increasing populations of dangerous animals (not human) and since WI is cold many people wear a jacket when out for a walk. This makes it harder for open carry so a concealed permit may be a good option? Just another way of looking at the topic.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
I entered this conversation a little late. I've been a LEO for just over 30 years and would support concealed carry with proper training. I think one important thing, among many, to be covered is the right to use force. What I'm trying to stress with that comment is, law enforcement has a duty to pursue and apprehend suspected criminals while the armed citizen does not. Since there have been very few problems with concealed carry in other states I would not expect anything different here.
I agree with the statement here. You would need to have some type of training for the use of deadly force and protection of your rights as a property owner. I want to add (and I know that it is redundant) the responsibilities of using a weapon as a means of protecting ones self and loved ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin