Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times

Advertisements

Having grown up in Door County and having lived both in Sturgeon Bay and up nort', I find this thread really amusing. The negativity of some people is really unfounded - it's clearly one of the most beautiful areas of the Midwest, which is why it's one of the most popular tourist areas of the Midwest, which is why it's so expensive to live there. Clearly much of the business up there is seasonal, I think people moving there at least understand that. In Sturgeon Bay itself, everything stays open. I would think some retirees from larger cities would find this refreshing. Think about it - lots of businessess everywhere, but NO chains north of Sturgeon Bay. It was pretty boring about half the year for a kid growing up there (the other half was pretty amazing, though), but for someone wanting a slow-down, it seems like a nice fit to me, if you can afford it. People are way MORE friendly and open there than most other rural places in the state, because it's so infused with non-locals from all over the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 PM

66 posts, read 80,030 times
I'm not sure you'll be "shunned" unless you display a bad attitude. People are very friendly there. Keep in mind it's beautiful there year-round but the winter will be pretty harsh. It's also pretty expensive to live there and there isn't a huge job offering up there.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,454 times
Door County Features:

No good jobs.
High Prices/Rent.
Unfriendly, just-plain-dumb, yet somehow highly-egotistical local idiots.
Below Zero temps 3 months straight in Winter and 80% Humidity in Mosquito laden Summers.
Beaches all carry "swimmers itch" - AKA, microbial skin parasites.
Rube cops eager to serve up DUI's with your $9/pints of beer.
Blatant Racism/Bigotry.

I hated Door County with a capital H.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:44 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starknature View Post
Door County Features:

No good jobs.
High Prices/Rent.
Unfriendly, just-plain-dumb, yet somehow highly-egotistical local idiots.
Below Zero temps 3 months straight in Winter and 80% Humidity in Mosquito laden Summers.
Beaches all carry "swimmers itch" - AKA, microbial skin parasites.
Rube cops eager to serve up DUI's with your $9/pints of beer.
Blatant Racism/Bigotry.

I hated Door County with a capital H.
Although we have only vacationed there twice, this past June and just two months ago, I found EVERYONE we encountered to be extremely nice, friendly and helpful -- and that, combined with the beauty of the area, is what convinced us to buy a lot on which to build our retirement home.

Yes, housing prices are high, and there definitely is a lack of industry (except for the medical and hospitality industries), but what do you expect when the entire year-round county population is only about 30,000? Also, the average age of the residents north of Sturgeon Bay is 65, so no, it probably won't appeal to most adults under the age of 40 -- but if you are looking for peace and quiet MOST of the time, you could do a lot worse than Door County, imo.

Btw, I checked the monthly averages for Egg Harbor, which is about mid-county, and although the daily averages in winter are below freezing, they are certainly not sub-zero:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/eg...monyr=1/1/2019
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin