Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,153,977 times

Advertisements

I think the main part of the mystery is soley because of the location. People in Wisconsin aren't used to quakes or know much about them. These are clearly micro earthquakes, very weak at that. Nonetheless, in an area with granite, cold crust and no major faults, even minor quake waves can be felt, irregardless of how small the quake is, in the epicentral area as seems to be the case here.

There aren't seismometers in the area to even detect these local micro quakes. From time to time, old faults wake up, readjust and it can be harmless. Ever since the East Coast had the 6.0 quake last year, the entire eastern half of the country has seen an uptick in random seismicity from Oklahoma to Ohio to Virginia. So these minor events really aren't all that surprising.

The booms happen at night because that is when the tv, music and computer are off and people are lying around in silence. During the day, there are cars going by, people moving around, tvs are on, etc.

Nonetheless, quakes happen randomly and happen at anytime, if they have been clustering at night, although spooky to some, it really isn't all that odd.

The only real question I have is if these quakes are a precursor to something somewhat stronger? Like a 3 or 4? Not that that would be damaging, but just wondering. I think Montello had some booms as well. It will be interesting to observe the situation over the comming weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 PM

27,393 posts, read 27,442,715 times
Being from Calif, I know the sounds a quake makes, regardless of how big or small. They played some audio today on the news that were recorded from several sources that were recording audio and magnitudes throughout the area. Those were NOT the sounds of a quake. It definately was an exploding sound. Take it as you may though....

Old 04-04-2012, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,178 times
I think that its the government digging along the fault lines for oil because we are almost out and that suff isnt just in wisconsin, its happening everywhere. Or they are building bunkers for when the world goes to chaos later this year. Just my opinion, take it as you will.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:42 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,164,669 times
Sasquatch Sex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin