Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,789 times

Advertisements

I know this was a while ago now for you but I'm curious where you ended up. I too want to live where my 2 children can play outside and me not standing right there watching... I am looking for what you were. My husband would transfer to a Lowes and I would look to work in a school as a paraprofessional. So what did you end up doing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 01:09 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,159 times
We had three weeks in Wisconsin but could not find a home. We searched while living in a hotel with our pets until our savings ran down and ended up in Michigan near family. We've been in a family member's rental trailer for three months and we can't find jobs. We are now on food stamps for the first time ever in our lives until we find jobs. The economy here in Michigan is great if you are a nurse or medical professional, but anything else is Nil.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:23 AM

33 posts, read 98,793 times
Where'd you end up? I grew up in Oshkosh in the edge of the west side of town. Near Carl Treiger, which was a farm field I frolicked in. I loved it. The town is well organized and laid out well. not random sprawl like I see in GA. The North side has always been kinda drab, but there are some beautiful old homes too, and like side neighborhoods. The library is one of the best I've seen, especially compared to other places I've since lived. Parks, and rec, an ice rink. Plus a great jumping off place to go to Milwaukee, Madison, Chicago, and beyond. Schools are good too, on the west side. Lots of great thrift stores. Basic shopping, with more options up the road in Appleton. 64k people or sonething like that. But still feels like a small town because of all the roads. I moved to a town of only 16k people but only 2 main roads. It was so congested it made the town feel more crowded than it really was. WI has an excellent road system. You know, being mostly German it would. The US interstate system was based on what Eusenhauer saw in Germany. The rest if the US should take a page out of WI book of roads, city planning, and infrastructure.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04 View Post
what about Little Chute !! Just the name makes you want to move there doesnt it ? I know, I know...it does for me too

Old 09-09-2013, 01:42 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post

Little Chute, isn't that right next to Big Shucks?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM

14 posts, read 26,680 times
I've lived in Appleton for 2 years, and I would vote for Neenah or Kimberley. Appleton is fine, too, and I would say Grand Chute or N Appleton is preferable. I would not live in GB or Menasha, personally. De Pere is good if you want to be near GB.

I've found this area to be really insular, personally. Very safe, etc., but I think since you have a family you will "fit in" more than I do.

I drive 41 from West Bend to N of GB all week, and to be frank, it stinks :-) but I have gotten used to the behavior of the drivers and the poor winter conditions. I've talked to many people who avoid it, though.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:40 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8wma View Post
I've lived in Appleton for 2 years, and I would vote for Neenah or Kimberley. Appleton is fine, too, and I would say Grand Chute or N Appleton is preferable. I would not live in GB or Menasha, personally. De Pere is good if you want to be near GB.

I've found this area to be really insular, personally. Very safe, etc., but I think since you have a family you will "fit in" more than I do.

I drive 41 from West Bend to N of GB all week, and to be frank, it stinks :-) but I have gotten used to the behavior of the drivers and the poor winter conditions. I've talked to many people who avoid it, though.
don't you find the road rage tremendous up there? it's worse than MKE in my opinion. I don't know what it is about NE Wis. but the people are insane on the road. very aggressive and hyper. I always find it more stressful than driving around MKE - literally.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,804 times
I have been looking for information as well. I'm a single mom with a biracial son and want to move to a friendly, welcoming, diverse community near Oshkosh. I, too, am looking for low crime, small town " everyone knows everyone" community. Where my son can play safely out doors and we won't be prejudged because of our skin color or economic status.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM

108 posts, read 150,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missesred View Post
I have been looking for information as well. I'm a single mom with a biracial son and want to move to a friendly, welcoming, diverse community near Oshkosh. I, too, am looking for low crime, small town " everyone knows everyone" community. Where my son can play safely out doors and we won't be prejudged because of our skin color or economic status.
I don't think you would have any trouble in either Oshkosh or Neenah. Neenah is only about 15 minutes from Oshkosh.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 AM

77 posts, read 110,304 times
I know I'm late but I'll leave this for anybody who happens upon this. I'm from South FL and moved to Appleton/Menasha about 3 years ago. I would never consider living in Oshkosh!! I don't know the whole area but I've been through the stretch of Jackson from 41 to downtown, courthouse area and surrounding and I consider it pretty run down. Not to offend anyone just my opinion and there seems to be quite a heroin problem there. They've built some nice new communities right off the highway but they're surrounded by correction institutions.

Everyone likes to call Menasha "MeTRASHA" but I've really liked it here. The only areas of the Fox Cities I would consider slightly more affluent than others would be Darboy, Buchanan, Grand Chute & Doty Island.

If you're going to work in GB I wouldn't live south of Freedom. From there up seems pretty nice (but rural) until you actually hit GB. I hear West GB is pretty nice but I worked in Downtown. Drove there everyday for over a year from Appleton. I finally got sick of the drive and decided I'd rather keep my kids down here. Id never live close to Downtown GB or that side of town either. Reminds me of where I left in S FL just not as populated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin