Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,476 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move back to WI since all of my family is there. However, I'm not exactly sure where I should go. It's been quite a few years since I've been back. I've been a police officer and a DNR game warden in Montana and Wyoming for the past 15 years. Now I'm ready to go back home.

I'm looking for a place north of 8. I've been to Hayward, Bayfield, Eagle River, Hurley, etc. Absolutely love it. I fish all year, hunt, and love being outdoors. I prefer the long and cold winters with a lot of snow.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune. I'm not looking for a large house or anything. Just a house on a nice plot of land where I can live in peace and not have to deal with nosy neighbors who start making a fuss because I decided to shoot a squirrel on my land.

Does anyone have any ideas which counties (or towns) I should look into? Again, I'm familiar with the area, but it's just been a long time.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 05:01 PM

280 posts, read 648,327 times
Anywhere north of Highway 29 should suit you just fine.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Northern Marinette county. Lower priced properties with acerage, not too far from Iron Mountain to cover most of your basics.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
Good call, Marinette county is quite underrated, and while other N WI spots seem to be filling up, if anything there seem to be less people in northern Marinette county than 10-15 years ago. Some roads that used to be paved some years back are now gravel. There have been more-and-more wildlife (cougar/moose) sightings, and more bear than ever (see: recent attack near Crivitz). You're close to GB/Valley or Iron Mountain areas if you need anything, or nowhere the rest of the time.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:50 PM

13 posts, read 36,189 times
Interesting I've lived in northern Wisconsin all my life and am looking to move to Montana. I personally know two others who moved out to Montana and moved back after a few years. Why? Is it the Montana culture or is it just because of a family thing? What does Wisconsin have that Montana doesn't? Besides more dairy cows

I was in Iron River ATVing about three weeks ago, that is a nice area, homes are not too expensive and you'd still be close enough to Superior for healthcare, more shopping choices, etc. Hayward has become more of a tourist area but is still a nice town. Hurley has not changed much either. I think Bayfield is too tourist-y and the people that own homes there seem hoity-toity to me.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinMama27 View Post
What does Wisconsin have that Montana doesn't? Besides more dairy cows
Well, there are tons of things of course, Montana doesn't have any real cities, nor does it have the water amenities (the 2 biggest Great Lakes, 15,000 more inland lakes, the biggest river on the continent, etc.). What does Montana have that Wisconsin doesn't? Mountains, I guess. Which are nice. Seems like a really odd statement to make, though.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:14 PM

It's not an odd statement, lol, just wondering aside from family here what the Wisconsin appeal is with a little sarcasm added.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:53 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinMama27 View Post
It's not an odd statement, lol, just wondering aside from family here what the Wisconsin appeal is with a little sarcasm added.
Well, if you like outdoor recreation activities Wisconsin is far better than all of the Great Plains states and many parts of the Mountain West based on lakes alone.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 PM

Montana has lakes for boat fishing, swimming and creeks for trout fishing/fly fishing, lots of hunting, ATVing, hiking, ....I think just as many outdoor activities as WI and then some, plus more snow for winter recreation, skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,476 times
Thanks for the suggestions folks!

I moved due to personal reasons. Too many memories there that I had to get away from and wanted to get back home near my relatives.

Montana is a great state. I had 120acres in Lincoln County. Amazing scenery and wildlife. There were a few lakes, nothing like the lakes in the midwest though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin