Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times

Advertisements

Why do people always dwell on the weather? I totally disagree it isn't a matter of not being able to get used to it but keeping a positive upbeat frame of mind.

Living in the midwest all my life, I love the 4 seasons and it has to be very bad out to keep me in the house.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 PM

75 posts, read 99,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Why do people always dwell on the weather? I totally disagree it isn't a matter of not being able to get used to it but keeping a positive upbeat frame of mind.

Living in the midwest all my life, I love the 4 seasons and it has to be very bad out to keep me in the house.
Well good for you

Not everyone has the make up to be the rah rah type A personality who sees sunshine and lollipops no matter the circumstances 24/7 hours a day.

I was born here and have lived here all my life minus 12 years and I have NEVER cared for the winters. Why does that necessarily mean I don't have a postive frame of mind?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Sorry for the generalization. I've just found people I know that hate and carry on about the winter weather are on the negative side about other things, too.

Sorry I'm one of those sunshiney happy types. I'll try to tone it down!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 PM

286 posts, read 1,151,016 times
Quote:

Quiet, meaningless desparate lives?

The weather. Today it may get into the low eighties, with high humidity. Kind of saps the energy.
I can't wait for the first frost to shock the leaves into their fall colors.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the generalization. I've just found people I know that hate and carry on about the winter weather are on the negative side about other things, too.

Sorry I'm one of those sunshiney happy types. I'll try to tone it down!
Touche...and I have found type A's I know who usually crash and burn at some point, when it gets arduous to maintain that forever optimistic pretense.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:45 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
2. The winters are brutal and long. 5 to 6 months of the year can feel nearly arctic. Make sure you can cope with them and not fall into seasonal depression.
C'mon radraja...don't make it seem like we're covered in snow for an entire 5-6 months. With all due respect, let me clarify what radraja is trying to say.

Come October, the temps start getting chillier. There is always a possibility of snow during Oct, but it's very unlikely and usually not much. In November, it gets a bit chillier. Higher probability of snow, but again - usually not much IF it does indeed snow. Getting into December, you can pretty much count on it. January and February are the worst months - generally the coldest and snowiest. In March it will still usually snow but you also start warming up a bit and it seems a little bit more springlike.

So that's a total of 6 months, but it's not like we're getting dumped on the entire time or that the temps are arctic-like from Oct-March. Oct, Nov & March can be quite tolerable temperature-wise...cold at times, but definitely not like Jan & Feb.

I absolutely hate winter - but it's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Those who come from warm climates will definitely have a hard time adjusting, but it's not like you're bundling up like eskimos for those 6 months either

Old 08-22-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
C'mon radraja...don't make it seem like we're covered in snow for an entire 5-6 months. With all due respect, let me clarify what radraja is trying to say.

Come October, the temps start getting chillier. There is always a possibility of snow during Oct, but it's very unlikely and usually not much. In November, it gets a bit chillier. Higher probability of snow, but again - usually not much IF it does indeed snow. Getting into December, you can pretty much count on it. January and February are the worst months - generally the coldest and snowiest. In March it will still usually snow but you also start warming up a bit and it seems a little bit more springlike.

So that's a total of 6 months, but it's not like we're getting dumped on the entire time or that the temps are arctic-like from Oct-March. Oct, Nov & March can be quite tolerable temperature-wise...cold at times, but definitely not like Jan & Feb.

I absolutely hate winter - but it's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Those who come from warm climates will definitely have a hard time adjusting, but it's not like you're bundling up like eskimos for those 6 months either
radraja didn't even mention snow, they said it felt artic, which IMO is a good description. SAD is very real and you can feel isolated and closed up here...kinda like going into hibernation.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:20 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post

I would have to agree. October does have a chance for snow, but for the most part temps are in the 40-50's for highs in October.. Then come November the daily highs get into the 30's...

March is usually spring like, temps in the 40's. Lots of snowmelt etc.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:25 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad420 View Post
radraja didn't even mention snow, they said it felt artic, which IMO is a good description. SAD is very real and you can feel isolated and closed up here...kinda like going into hibernation.
Arctic generally means that there is snow involved. And I did reference cold temps as well.

Wintertime can bring out the "blues," for sure...but it's all a matter of how you deal with it. I've lived through almost 40 winters now and I've never once been even close to feeling like I'm in hibernation. There are plenty of winter activities to partake in. Like I said, it's all a matter of how you deal with it.

Just to add -I know plenty of people hate the winters here (myself included!) and boy, it can sure feel like Antarctica at times. However, I think it's unfair to misrepresent how it really is. When a person says 'arctic,' that implies bitter cold and snow and generally crappy weather. That is not the case here for a 5-6 month period. But at the same time, I fully agree that people should know what they're in for. I don't know radraja's background, maybe he/she came from a warm climate...so therefore, Wisconsin winters would feel much worse than they do to some of us who have pretty much gotten used to it.

I suppose it all comes down to a matter of opinion...and that's exactly what my posts were. My opinion only.

Last edited by wigirl920; 08-22-2008 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 PM

387 posts, read 1,332,201 times
Moving here from the north east we found the property taxes to be lower and houses cheaper. I love the cold and would rather have that them the humidity of summer. We were out northwest in Oregon. Beautiful state but the rain in January would drive me crazy. I am a snow lover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin