Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:46 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It ranked worst in the country for new business starts. That's abysmal. State Rankings | Kauffman.org

Tech, bio/pharm, etc are the growth industries, and they create high paying jobs. They're usually the result of investment in higher ed research and the spin offs and collaborations flowing from those. You want to create high paying jobs and growth? Invest in higher ed research and start up infrastructure. Wisconsin isn't doing that. Minnesota is. Wisconsin's economy is sucking it, Minnesota's is doing well.
Government investments in the private profits and good salaries is the key for success, as fleeting as it might be. Let suckers pay $100 to get $10 back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 11:38 AM

404 posts, read 480,762 times
The worst thing about Wisconsin is Scott Walker and those like him.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
hodags

Old 04-25-2016, 03:30 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Trying to argue one area is better than another is like trying to argue one movie or music genre is better than another. Your opinion is one of billions. From my perspective eastern WI is great. To each their own.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:50 PM

108 posts, read 150,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Trying to argue one area is better than another is like trying to argue one movie or music genre is better than another. Your opinion is one of billions. From my perspective eastern WI is great. To each their own.
Wisconsin can be fantastic but those perfect summer picnic times are incredibly fleeting.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:38 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad93ex View Post
Wisconsin can be fantastic but those perfect summer picnic times are incredibly fleeting.
Perfect summer picnic times for humans, or for the mosquitoes that feast upon them?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 AM

383 posts, read 392,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
If you think Wisconsin is bad, you are more than happy to go move to the town where I grew up (Saginaw, MI). You'll come back to Wisconsin so quick, you'll be kissing the ground.
Omaraz is certainly right on the money with his comment! I left Madison four years ago for the Detroit area, and it is just as bad as Saginaw, if that is possible. That area is in horrible decay, and I don't think I have to mention the crime. I lasted just less than two years there. The past two years I have lived in St. Louis, and it is JUST as bad as Detroit. Actually, it may be worse, if that is possible! Not only do you get the decay and horrible crime (the crime actually seems worse here), but the people are not nice at all!

Before my in-laws died they lived in Saginaw for about 15 years. I hated going there. I hate to say it, but it was just a hellhole. The entire Saginaw, Flint, Detroit area is, in my opinion, a miserable wasteland. Certainly there are some super people there, though. Actually, some of the nicest people I have met have been from MI. St. Louis is right up there with those areas as far as the misery index, but the people make it even worse.

I've looked to move back to WI many times, but I just cannot justify the taxes any longer. I LOVE WI, even with the winters and crazy liberal politics (I am a very conservative person who lived in Madison for 13 years, so for me to want to come back is a big shout out for WI). Our standard of living would go down so far with the tax burden. So, we are looking to move to Charlotte.

I guess it is a very subjective issue. I loved it there, even with the weather. After living in 8 cities I found WI to be the best among all of them - the highest quality of life (if you can afford it), one of the cleanest (minus Milwaukee), the friendliest (but for some of the elitist Madison crowd), and one of the most beautiful. Come down to SL for a few days and you will RUN back to WI!

Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
I fall into the educated millennial category and am in the process of moving out of the state. But I would never say WI is a terrible place. It has good schools, public services, scenery, outdoor activities, lax firearm laws, people, etc. Just no opportunity in tech.
Cannot rep you but agree with this entirely. Moved away in 2014 due to poor career opportunities in WI but miss the schools, services for special needs family members, outdoor activities (grew up up-nort' dotcha know), and overall relaxed culture.

If anyone thinks the DMV in WI sucks, try TX where the registration process involves separate trips to tax assessors office for registration and plates and DPS offices to get a license.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 AM

173 posts, read 182,034 times
I loved reading all these comments. My husband and I are looking to move to the great lakes area. We have lived around Seattle our whole lives. While I could never bash Seattle, I love so much about it. The cost of living, traffic, and quality of life. We are looking to find a smaller town where we can contribute to a community and be involved with friendly neighbors. I enjoy seeing both side of the story. Each area has its flaws. People commenting about Seattle being wonderful due to investments and education or job opportunity- its true, but the cost of living is high. In order to live well you have to have a demanding job that really doesn't give you any time to enjoy life. Having a family here is pretty much a joke. Either you work enough to pay someone else to raise them or your likely on welfare. And if somehow you fall between those two then you are at the mercy of family to care for kids for free.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:40 PM

383 posts, read 392,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabf View Post
I loved reading all these comments. My husband and I are looking to move to the great lakes area. We have lived around Seattle our whole lives. While I could never bash Seattle, I love so much about it. The cost of living, traffic, and quality of life. We are looking to find a smaller town where we can contribute to a community and be involved with friendly neighbors. I enjoy seeing both side of the story. Each area has its flaws. People commenting about Seattle being wonderful due to investments and education or job opportunity- its true, but the cost of living is high. In order to live well you have to have a demanding job that really doesn't give you any time to enjoy life. Having a family here is pretty much a joke. Either you work enough to pay someone else to raise them or your likely on welfare. And if somehow you fall between those two then you are at the mercy of family to care for kids for free.
Have you ever considered the Salt Lake City area? Relatively speaking, it is very inexpensive and just beautiful! We have family there and enjoy visiting. It certainly has its influx of those from the West, mainly because of its growing economy and lower cost of living. Also, it's not too far from Seattle, compared to WI.

My husband is recently a remote employee, and I am a stay at home mom. I've always stayed at home because I want to be the one to raise my kids. And what a struggle it is to make it on one income nowadays! Watching cost of living is very important to us when considering a place to live. I have researched incessantly over the past few years and have yet to find that "perfect" place for us. WI would fit the bill if it were not for the cost of living. Compared to Seattle, I think you might consider it to have a lower cost of living. However, it does have some of the most expensive taxes in the US.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...taxpayer/2416/

I would avoid MI like the plague. Minnesota was a huge draw for me, but it is awfully cold and expensive (not so sure about the Minnesota Nice thing, either).

I would recommend WI over all of the places I have lived. If you can learn to endure the cold, and I did, I think you would find it a fabulous place. You are looking for the same things my family and I are looking for. I think WI is your best bet!

Good luck! I hope you find a great place there!

Last edited by gypsyjudy; 05-04-2016 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin