Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:23 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times

Advertisements

^ As someone who grew up in Door County, which is in northern WI, this is unequivocally not the case there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
I like the way they say "pop".

Old 10-29-2014, 05:58 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
^ As someone who grew up in Door County, which is in northern WI, this is unequivocally not the case there.
Experiences differ. I was in the Minoqua area. Also I am a quiet sport person, organic food so on and so forth. Illinois folks seemed more appreciative of nature, cheese heads just want to drink beer and jet ski or tear up some dirt with the ATV.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Experiences differ. I was in the Minoqua area. Also I am a quiet sport person, organic food so on and so forth. Illinois folks seemed more appreciative of nature, cheese heads just want to drink beer and jet ski or tear up some dirt with the ATV.
Well, that's not really the Door County experience, haha...

Old 10-30-2014, 09:19 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
Some Wisconsinites are really possessive...
"MINE. THE LAKES AND RIVERS HERE ARE MINE AND YOU CAN'T ENJOY THEM, TOO."

Heaven forbid Wisconsin actually draws people in from other states and generates a little extra tax base.

The landscape up north is a beautiful, natural asset - be GLAD it attracts people.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:47 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
yes, tourism and it's benefits to a local economy can be a trade off to wanting to just enjoy something on one's own. The best places to visit, will likely be the most popular.
Many years ago i'd go up to visit my grandpa in the Mountain/Lakewood area (back when hwy 51 was not a 4 lane interstate heading north lol) and we'd be able to find small lakes/ponds deep in the forest that we'd have to carry our jonboat into but we'd have private fishing/family time. Loved those visits but also realize those were somewhat the rare occurrence.
Years later when i ran delivery routes up in the Minoqua areas, one winter was brutal with no snow to speak of. Killed the economy as no skiing/snowmobiling to bring in visitors. So many i spoke with who could complain about the traffic when busy, were struggling to keep the lights on due to little tourism income.

Heck, i'd hear this same discussion when we were down in SC, especially around Charleston. An incredible place to visit, which brings in major tourism. That has its issues, but you cant keep a place like that a secret.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:06 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Some Wisconsinites are really possessive...
"MINE. THE LAKES AND RIVERS HERE ARE MINE AND YOU CAN'T ENJOY THEM, TOO."

Heaven forbid Wisconsin actually draws people in from other states and generates a little extra tax base.

The landscape up north is a beautiful, natural asset - be GLAD it attracts people.
Yes well if people wouldn't keep tearing down resorts or cabins & putting up large houses, the increased traffic on roads that even 15 years ago were almost virtually void of traffic, the constant buzz of those nauseatingly annoying leaf blowers, the stupid perfectly manicured front lawns leading up to the lakes shoreline, the influx of speed boats & jetski's who have no respect whatsoever for other boats or kayakers, the ATV users, the snowmobilers, yada yada yada, then people wouldn't get upset. The thing about the North Woods that I love is the quiet & how it had remained virtually unchanged until maybe the last decade or so. That's changing & not to sound like a curmudgeon but I & others don't like it. We love the North Woods for a reason.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:32 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
yes, tourism and it's benefits to a local economy can be a trade off to wanting to just enjoy something on one's own. The best places to visit, will likely be the most popular.
Many years ago i'd go up to visit my grandpa in the Mountain/Lakewood area (back when hwy 51 was not a 4 lane interstate heading north lol) and we'd be able to find small lakes/ponds deep in the forest that we'd have to carry our jonboat into but we'd have private fishing/family time. Loved those visits but also realize those were somewhat the rare occurrence.
Years later when i ran delivery routes up in the Minoqua areas, one winter was brutal with no snow to speak of. Killed the economy as no skiing/snowmobiling to bring in visitors. So many i spoke with who could complain about the traffic when busy, were struggling to keep the lights on due to little tourism income.

Heck, i'd hear this same discussion when we were down in SC, especially around Charleston. An incredible place to visit, which brings in major tourism. That has its issues, but you cant keep a place like that a secret.

My grandparents had a cottage in Lakewood-Townsend. My husband and I go up to Mountain quite often in the summer. They're such beautiful places... so many private places to fish or hang out. We camped at one very "rugged" campsite the year before last. It's not very often that I get the "spooky out in the woods in the middle of nowhere" feeling. But at that place I did!

As you know, I just moved from Beaufort, SC. They made tons of lists of, "best places" and the biggest complaint was that people would move there and crowd up the place.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes well if people wouldn't keep tearing down resorts or cabins & putting up large houses, the increased traffic on roads that even 15 years ago were almost virtually void of traffic, the constant buzz of those nauseatingly annoying leaf blowers, the stupid perfectly manicured front lawns leading up to the lakes shoreline, the influx of speed boats & jetski's who have no respect whatsoever for other boats or kayakers, the ATV users, the snowmobilers, yada yada yada, then people wouldn't get upset. The thing about the North Woods that I love is the quiet & how it had remained virtually unchanged until maybe the last decade or so. That's changing & not to sound like a curmudgeon but I & others don't like it. We love the North Woods for a reason.
Bingo.. The leaf blowers.. Lawn ferts, clean the beach up.. Before you know it up north lakes are ruined like southern lakes.. I never.got why people go up north to get away from the city but bring their city behavioral traits with them.

We cherish the fact that 51 is 2 lane once you hit the Oneida county line. Make em slow down..!

I miss the old resorts.and such, but houses and condos do pay tax which is good for locals..

Old 11-01-2014, 06:48 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Its sort of like the Dells, I can remember it seeming to be nothing more then some stores to buy candy and moccasins, duck boat rides, and hotels with (gasp) outdoor pools lol. Fast forward decades later and change / progress / popularity has made it what it is today. I enjoyed the area in my youth, but I also look forward to taking the grandson up there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin