Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 7,306 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been researching where we want to relocate our family to and stumbled on Appleton. It hits almost all of our checklists (colder climate, adorable housing, church/homeschooling communities, parks, sports for the kids, etc) but when I pulled up the registered sex offender map I was dismayed at the sheer volume of offenders located in that area (and surrounding areas).

I looked through the threads here and found some good explanations/theories about why the numbers are high.

It's confusing because I continue to see Appleton referenced as a safe community to raise a family.
What I'd love you know is if anyone who has (or had) young children in Appleton found the same to be true.

Also, are there particular areas to avoid while house hunting?

Thanks in advance for replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 08:13 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
What were the explanations(?)

I personally feel you are over-thinking the issue.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:43 AM

Two of the reasons I read were: Lots of support services available & location is near correction facilities.

I'm less concerned with the why. I'm more curious as to wether families with children has found living amoung the population of offenders (specifically those who targeted children) difficult or challenging or is it a non-issue.

You could be right, I could be over thinking it. It's just an overwhelming number on that map.

I'm also looking for input on areas/neighborhoods that are kid friendly & safe. Are there spots to avoid? That sort of thing...

Last edited by Halfadozen; 01-27-2019 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Missing word

Old 01-28-2019, 10:34 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,882 times
Some family members of mine lived in a beautiful house in Oshkosh... that was situated just a block away from 15 registered sex offenders because it was a half-way house for recently released offenders. It concerned me to have my family members living in such close proximity, but they said they never had any problems. The offenders were monitored closely, fortunately.

I do tend to think of Appleton as being a relatively safe area to live. I'd second the recommendation to avoid living near the College Avenue area. It's just too busy and high-traffic. There are plenty of better options in Appleton, as well as Neenah/Menasha.

Best of luck to you. Very smart to research this topic.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,973 times
I would recommend Appleton. Doesn't every city have a lot of sex offenders. Check www.familywatchdog.us.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:48 PM

Thank you Nicci6Squirrels! That really helps, and is the type of input I was hoping to hear. I appreciate your response!

And thank you JosephJohnson for reaching out to me and Angorlee for your recommendation. It does seem many metro areas have thier fair share of RSOS. Appleton , in fact Wisconsin, just seems to have a higher concentration.

So far we really like everything we are finding out about Appleton! My husband is a teacher, so our next hurdle is to see if there are any openings for next year....

Old 06-24-2019, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
I’m looking for a cooler place to relocate my family, as well. The first thing I do is check the Sex Offender registry for each possible location. I, also, think there’s an unusually large amount of registered offenders in the Appleton area. I have noticed that wherever there is water, you’ll find a lot of sex offenders in the area. May sound weird, but that’s what I’ve noticed.
We can never be too safe when it comes to our children.

I wonder if there’s a nearby town, within a reasonable commute, that would have far less sex offenders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin