Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 13,673 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking of relocating to Wisconsin. I have lived in Wisconsin before (Oak Creek and Kenosha). I like Wisconsin. I was happy in Wisconsin. Since I am only familiar with the very far SE part of the state..I need help. Where would you recommend living?

We are employed in the social work field.
Reasonable housing prices are important.
Good schools are important. Living near a college would be nice, but not necessary.
We like to camp and off-road. That is how we will spend much of our leisure time.
Good healthcare if very important to us.
We like the idea of possibly living in or near the woods.
We are willing to drive to go to the big shopping destinations.
We are familiar with the cold winters and hot humid summers.

Appleton and Green Bay have been suggested to us by other people. Where would you recommend and why? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,365 times
I would also recommend the La Crosse or Eau Claire area. Close to civilization but a quick escape to the country too. We live near Wausau and that is also a good area. But I think more jobs in your field might be near La Crosse or Eau Claire. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,385 times
I would also suggest checking out the western side of the State near LaCrosse. I have heard really wonderful things about that area and wish we had gone over there instead of landing in Appleton.

I know a lot of people like it here but it just hasn't been a good fit for us. Doesn't mean it won't be for you. I would just check out both areas thoroughly before deciding.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 PM

48 posts, read 256,663 times
Default Wonderful Wisconsin

Ok, I'm hooked on Wis. I've been lurking here for some time. Settle where the job and school are, then spend a life time exploring the state. We have sand dunes, beaches, lakes, trees, rivers, blue skies, star filled nights, stunning sunrises, breath taking sunsets. Land that varies from bluffs to flat prairies. Bike trails, snowmobile trails, ski trails, ski hills, tubing hills. You name it and it can be had and done here.
We were traveling out of state and talking with people as to were they had been. They said, If you really want to see a pretty state you should see Wisconsin! Well there you have it. We've been all over this state and through many of the others in this great country. Still never disappointed with what is right outside our door.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:57 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
Key word is doing your homework and research, research and definitely check out the areas before settling down, maybe even renting. Don't just visit for a day or two on the weekend, more time is needed.

Check out the local library, Chamber of Commerce, city services at city hall, this was very helpful to me when I was debating on Manitowoc or Two Rivers. The local people working at these places were very helpful. I was able to find out about tax rates for real estate and I used the state website for information, too.

Wisconsin is great no matter where you settle! You can easily escape to countryside, lakes, great state parks, etc. there is alot to see and do everywhere just outside of any area you might end up! Enjoy your search!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM

44 posts, read 299,106 times
I live in Eau Claire and we really like it here. It has low-priced housing and some of the best schools in Wisconsin. As for colleges, it has Chippewa Valley Technical College and UW-Eau Claire. It is about 1.5 hrs from Minneapolis, which has Mall of America, and many other shopping oppurtunities. There are I think, 3 hospitals, 1 of which is expanding right now and is supposed to be done this summer. As for off-roading I'm not 100% sure on that, as we just start exploring here as well. I do know that there are great recreation facilites - Phoenix Park, Carson Park, Fairfax Pool and really nice bike trails. Its about 45 mins from Lake Wissota too, where you can camp, fish and boat.
Visit sometime !

Old 05-31-2008, 06:54 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,557 times
Default Humidity?

[QUOTE=NV4X4GAL;3910451] We are familiar with the cold winters and hot humid summers.

Humidity in WI is a piece of cake compared to the SE and Florida. Good luck with you move; you will not regret. But, choose an area close to your employment. The rest will fall into place.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,949 times
Green Bay is the way to go. Why wouldn't you? The Blessed Mother appeared in this Diocese. No where else in the U.S.!

Old 10-13-2013, 04:15 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
I'm sure 5 years later the OP found where they wanted to live.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
You never know. She may still be checking this thread every 3 hours, just waiting for the one answer that will change her life forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin