Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 07:02 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Being a weather hound, the pattern lately (actually for a long time) shows storms coming across but missing a great deal of the NW corner. Snow last year wasn't that great for the corner either.

I know Kate has been posting on here they thought they'd see more snow over in Ashland then they have. She moved around the same time I did, I guess I took their snow and she can have it back!

Susan, I agree about the lack of snow up by Bayfield/Ashland. I think it would be safe to assume that you see more snow in Two Rivers versus Bayfield. Portage probably has seen more snow than Ashland lately. It's been weird.

A while back there was an article in the Wisconsin State Journal about a lake that dried up completely in Waushara county. I think it was some time in 2006/2007? They were talking about all the huge homes that were built on the lake and the dnr thought maybe the amount of wells had an impact on water levels.

In Wyocena, a village of about 600 just 10 minutes from Portage there was a lake called Wyona Lake. Well it was formed from a dam down stream. The damn gave out during the 2008 floods. The village hasn't been able to repair the damn due to insufficient funds, or so I've heard. So for now a little trick of water flows through this big dry field that was once a beautiful vast lake. It's weird walking out in the middle of a field that was a lake only a year earlier. The lack of rain hasn't helped the creek either. It seems we've had some real extremes around here lately. Last year was tons of rain. This year was dry and cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:41 AM

Getting back to the subject of dried up lakes. I found the article in the WSJ that I was talking about, pretty interesting.

As lakes dry up, concern swells - JSOnline

Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 PM

1,085 posts, read 3,567,845 times
Good article Josh! My wife parents have had a cottage on Pine Lake in Washara county since the early sixties. In the last ten years the shoreline grew by about thirty feet. There was a sandbar that separate the lake in two. It was probably underwater about a foot or foot and half. We went out there this year, the sandbar is exposed about a foot or two above the water line.
You could walk out twenty or thirty feet from the end of a forty foot pier to the drop off, now the drop off is at the end of the pier.
I had heard that it was an eight or nine year cycle, the lake levels, but the water levels have never been this low in the last forty years I have been going to Pine Lake. The small half of Pine Lake is hardly navigable anymore.

And yes, we've gone to a couple of lakes this summer where the people didn't even bother to put in their piers.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Great article, Josh, thanks for sharing! Some people say there are patterns, 10 or 20 yr. whatever, but I'm not convinced.

My sister lives on a bay at the top of Lake Michigan and the bay has been way down for a long time. Of course, if they are right and it comes back up, all these fancy dancy new homes people built between US 2 and the lake towards Manistique are going to be in trouble!

Amazes me where property is bought up then people are allowed to build, scarey!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:22 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,543 times
We were very skeptical to buy by a river, but we are at an elevation that won't be an issue.
It is so sad to see any body of water disappear. Sort of like an animal becoming extinct.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 AM

14,323 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Looking at the pictures you posted, I think you are pretty high and dry on your property!

Where I question it (and I could be wrong) is low property near the lake being bought up and then sold as lots for people to build. I know it is probably more complicated than it appears to be.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 PM

Wow this place is a ghost town. What has everyone been up to?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
Hey just want to let you guys know about a cool event going on in Wausau this weekend.

The Indigenous Circle of Nations (ICON) are having their 2nd annual PowWow at Wausau East High tomorrow, Sat. 7th Nov. First grand entrance is at 12:30 p.m., and the second is at 7 p.m. It's a great event. We went last year and really enjoyed it.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:17 AM

1,085 posts, read 3,567,845 times
Thanks tet tea, I've always wanted to go to a PowWow, never made it yet. It's going to be a beautiful fall day, maybe we can go over there early.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:36 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Wow this place is a ghost town. What has everyone been up to?
Packing! We will make a good dent in the actual move tomorrow, and finish up on DH's day off Wednesday. The closing is the 18th. Can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin