Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansamjoe View Post
The day we got here, all of the neighbors on our new street came out & helped us unload the moving truck. Every single one of our neighbors. Husbands, wives, even some kids. It was wonderful. People have been very welcoming
They came to help you unload the moving truck because they were shoving stuff in their pockets and walking off with things when you were unpacking/unloading inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 AM

97 posts, read 202,871 times
Default Any Info on Mount Pleasant?

Where are the safe areas of Mount Pleasant?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybie Alyssa View Post
Where are the safe areas of Mount Pleasant?
East of Sheridan Road (state route 32) from KR north to Durand and Braun Road north to Durand, between Green Bay Road going East to Ohio Street.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 AM

502 posts, read 717,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen77 View Post
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice...

My boyfriend has been offered a contract working in Racine, Wisconsin for 4 months intially (but potentially 2 years). We are an English couple (living near London), in our late twenties, without children and I have no idea whether we should move out there or not!
Can anyone tell me what Racine is like? Is there much to do there (I'm probably not into going out to bars much)? Is it expensive? What will the weather be like from May - September? I've read some stats that indicate that crime is bad there - is this the case?
Also, I'd probably wouldn't be able to get a visa if I was joining him so would be looking at either studying or doing voluntary work - does anyone know what the opportunities for this would be like out there?
I think this could be a great thing to do but I have no idea what we'd be letting ourselves in for! I'd really appreciate any information or advice that anyone can offer.
Thanks!
Hey Jen,

Don't get too discouraged by the negative posts about Racine. Racine is a city that's sort of in transition: it is true that Racine has it's problems with crime/gangs and an old, stagnant economy, but this city does have an odd charm what with it's combination of history, architechture and a re-vamped, quirky downtown area. The New York Times printed an article a few years ago about how Racine was the #1 city in the industrial midwest that was re-inventing itself for a new era.

Some positive things about Racine to consider:

-Racine is a coastal industrial/manufacturing city just 30 minutes down the road from Milwaukee and 1.5 hours up from Chicago. So, if you still hate Ray-town, you've got excellent accessibility to some much bigger, more happening cities.

-The beaches/lakefront is really nice, and there is a harbor with bridges and piers; a good place for boating, fishing or just hanging out.

-Downtown has been re-vamped with some good restaurants/bars. Like Milwaukee, it is developing a bit of a quirky/artsy vibe. Some of the downtown cafes have interesting themes and there's some decent ethnic restaurants down there too now.

-the westside has a nice little shopping mall and several other stores, restaurants, amenities, etc.

-traffic is not an issue and the COL is pretty low.

-the people are friendly, laid-back and genuine and pretty curious/welcoming to transplants. You won't find too many surly yuppies, hipsters or intrusive nut-cases around here. As a whole, Racine is politically and socially moderate relative to the rest of the country.

For a 4 month contract, I think you and your hubby would do just fine in Racine. I grew up in Ray-town and I just moved back (albeit temporarily) to the area after spending some years away, and I'm enjoying re-discovering it. It's not the best or most glamorous place in the USA, but it's a decent city with it's own unique flavor and has fast access to Chicago, Lake Michigan and the rural midwest.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:21 PM

97 posts, read 202,871 times
I'm coming to the suburban areas from New Jersey and Mt. Pleasant/ Caledonia have a lot in common with suburban NJ population density-wise, shopping wise, housing subdivisions everywhere: Gas is higher, but benefit : Cost of Living is MUCH Lower.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,456 times
Racine is only terrible for the ratchet & hoodrats (male/female ) because it's so small everyone screwing each other & spreading disease plus having kids knowing they can't take care of a child. Most have 3 to 7 seven kids all different father's. Racine fine it's just the ppl who's living there! I love my city but 75% of the ppl including the justice system is so ****ed up & unruly

Old 08-24-2015, 10:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
I visited Racine a couple of weeks ago to go to North Beach. Parking was completely inadequate for the crowds, but the beach was pretty nice and clean. Fun party vibe to it.

I was surprised at how dumpy most of the houses looked just a block or two from the water. I haven't seen that type of thing very much in most other coastal towns I've visited. Usually the neighborhoods by the water are very nice.

Overall I wasn't impressed with Racine and am glad I don't live there. If I had to choose, I'd pick Kenosha over Racine easily, and Kenosha isn't all that awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin