Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times

Advertisements

I was just watching the 9 o'clock news and they said that their is a possibility of the beer tax being raised. Right now their is only a $2.00 tax on a keg of beer, it could be raised to $10.00 a keg. They said that their is a lot of support even though we live in a state where people consume alot of beer. Wisconsin has the third lowest beer tax in the nation. This raise in the beer tax is to reduce the amount of alcohol related abuse and to cover some budget shortfalls.

I don't drink, yet. So I can't really state what I think of the proposed tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM

335 posts, read 1,209,027 times
Josh....some things are sacred in WI and this is one. There is a reason they have not raised the beer tax in 70 years. Here is one idea for the Gov............................QUIT SPENDIN $$$ LIKE A DRUNKEN SAILOR AND YOU WONT HAVE TO RAISE TAXES. Just my thought...anyone agree???

Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
This raise in the beer tax is to reduce the amount of alcohol related abuse and to cover some budget shortfalls.

I don't drink, yet. So I can't really state what I think of the proposed tax.

Politicians raise a tax to reduce what they consider a bad behavior - Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

These bastards just want your $ for do-gooder, mommy state programs - nothing else. Good grief.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:37 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
We also need a Twinkee tax on all snack goods to fight obesity in our state...also, I think we should have a "professional sports loss tax", which will incent the Brewers, Bucks, and Packers to win more games...also, we need a cold tax, to limit the number of cold days in the year...and an accident tax, to fight car accidents on the roads...and a stink tax, to fight body odor. I can think of more ways to socially engineer our state through increased taxes to utopia.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:37 AM

438 posts, read 1,731,212 times
I don't drink but I don't begrudge anyone else from having a few drinks. I'm all for trying things to get people to limit their drinking to responsible levels but all anyone can look at cigaratte taxes to see it doesn't work. How many times have you seen pictures or video of people complaining they can't buy milk, bread, etc as they're smoking a cigarette? Those with a problem don't stop just because it costs more. They'll just give up needs like milk, bread, etc to get the money to buy it and expect a handout for the necessities. The responsible people who have a drink now & then end up paying more when the tax doesn't help the drinking problem anyway.

Wisconsin really needs to cut programs that hand out our money that we work hard for to support people who use the system to get 'free' money (yes, there are some programs that are good but there sure doesn't seem to be much oversight). There's really no incentive to make a livable wage. You end up not qualifying for any perks and you get taxed into poverty.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:48 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Remember that beer trucks are considered "emergency vehicles" in Wisconsin.

That's a joke (I think), but the reality for beer is that 10% of its consumers drink 85% of the product.

So raising the beer tax will not be a big burden to most of us, and might just help some of us.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:06 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
well, Wi does have a high gas tax, and look at the wonderful condition the roads are in...
ooops, slipped in a puddle of sarcasm there.

while i don't drink, i did consume plenty of brew "in the day". I'd call a tax like this as a user tax, no different then gas, smokes, etc. You use it, you pay for it. But if a tax like that somehow lowers the hi property tax for all, then it is a good thing ( don't pay attn to my location, i just moved from Wi and am well versed in hi taxes there ).

Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
...and one other point, a beer tax is a regressive tax, as a higher % of lower income people favor beer. So, just put in a nasty wine tax, how about that?

Old 04-10-2009, 11:16 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
well, Wi does have a high gas tax, and look at the wonderful condition the roads are in...
ooops, slipped in a puddle of sarcasm there.

while i don't drink, i did consume plenty of brew "in the day". I'd call a tax like this as a user tax, no different then gas, smokes, etc. You use it, you pay for it. But if a tax like that somehow lowers the hi property tax for all, then it is a good thing ( don't pay attn to my location, i just moved from Wi and am well versed in hi taxes there ).

Funny thing is that Wisconsin's roads are in good shape compared to most other states. When it comes to % of roadways paved, it ranks at the top, or near it.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:07 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Funny thing is that Wisconsin's roads are in good shape compared to most other states. When it comes to % of roadways paved, it ranks at the top, or near it.
I will ask the question - Is it necessary that every little po-dunk road that sees 4 cars/day be paved? It amuses me that almost every little boat launch in WI is paved. Why?

Many places, with lots more people than WI, have gravel roads in the country. Those states do just fine with a much lower tax burden.

I lived in WI for 47 years and have traveled all over the world. No one can argue that road builders have too much power in Madison. Hopefully the road crews drink lots of beer and contribute to the new tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin