Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 04:58 PM

6 posts, read 50,978 times

Advertisements

I will be starting at a job in Appleton soon and I'm not sure where i should live. I'm a early 20's college grad.

How is Oshkosh? I didn't get an opportunity to go there when i just came out. I know UW Oshkosh is there.

Would it be worth the commute from there up to Appleton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 10:47 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Oshkosh to Appleton is, at worst, a 20 minute drive.

Since your job is in Appleton, I would recommend that you try to live here as well. It's nicer than Oshkosh, IMO.

What part of the east coast are you coming from? We made the same move 2 1/2 years ago but plan to head back next year.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:22 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Ooops, just noticed the MD in your screen name, so you must be moving from Maryland?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:42 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
I've got just enough time to tell you that Appleton is where all the shopping, good restaraunts, nightlife, etc etc etc are, compared with Oshkosh. I've written lots about it so if you search you can find more details. I've lived in both places, btw, and have been in Appleton for 7-8 years. Unless you grew up in Oshkosh and are attached to it, it isn't the slightest bit worth the commute

Old 11-28-2008, 08:34 AM

387 posts, read 1,332,024 times
We moved from New Hampshire to WI a year ago. We are up north and love it.
My husband placed 2 families from the northeast in Appleton and they love it. Lots to do. They love the Perfoming Arts Center in Appleton. Lots of good shows. They also love the outdoor opportunities. They said lots of good parks to skate in. Also love that they are close to water activities in the warmer weather. Good luck, we love it in WI!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 20,820 times
If you want more home in a nicer area for your money then Oshkosh it is. If you want to spend more for less home, but with more things to do, shopping food options then Appleton it is. In Appleton you will have to be careful of a few areas as they do have more active gangs then Oshkosh, Oshkosh is more drunk college kids then gangs. To me commuting sucks, so I would try to live where I work.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Do realize that Appleton is also a college town (Lawrence University). Personally, I would live in Appleton, close to work. A 20 mile commute is not a lot of fun when the weather turns bad.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Appleton is the way to go, especially if you'll be working there. Although Neenah would be an option too, since it's midway between the two cities and has a decent little downtown and retail area for a city its size.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:33 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swall2 View Post
If you want more home in a nicer area for your money then Oshkosh it is. If you want to spend more for less home, but with more things to do, shopping food options then Appleton it is. In Appleton you will have to be careful of a few areas as they do have more active gangs then Oshkosh, Oshkosh is more drunk college kids then gangs. To me commuting sucks, so I would try to live where I work.
Actually I'd call the home values a horse a piece, just that Appleton has more of the bigger, expensive houses than Oshkosh does. But gangs? Seriously? I've lived here for nearly a decade and I've never seen a gang, lol. I've seen a few kids in baggy pants at the mall if that counts, lol. Between the two, Oshkosh, especially due in part to being more of a blue collar town, most definitely has more riff-raff than Appleton. However, plenty of Green Bay riff-raff comes to visit Park Central in Appleton on the weekend.

Also, I wouldn't call Appleton a college town in the least, Lawrence is barely a blip on the radar. And I live downtown even

Anyway, original poster, if you search my username you can find all kinds of posts about why I prefer Appleton to anywhere else in this part of the state

Old 10-25-2009, 02:44 AM

279 posts, read 760,502 times
Calling Appleton a college town because of Lawrence is like calling Richland Center a college town for having UW Richland Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin