Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:33 AM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Good points guys.

I would like to state that when I lived in Chicago and had to walk past the Sears tower every day to get to work....I saw my share of tourists from your states as well.

Let's see how you can spot them...
1) Walk 5-abreast down the sidewalk, which you only see in a major metro like Chicago because in LA or NY they'd just plow through you. In Chicago they'd drop hints but not run you down. Some people don't get the point until.....

1b) Look straight up while walking 5-abreast, add cell-phone as often as possible. I can't tell you how many times I've had to come to a dead stop because a 5-across herd of tourists owned the whole sidewalk and then proceeded to walk right into me, street signs etc. much to their own surprise. I once saw one guy step off the curb right into the path of a bike messenger going about 30mph...it knocked the change out of the guys pocket it hit him so hard...the messenger got up and kept going.

2) Stop at the top of escalators as you get off of them. Just step off and stand there. This generally doesn't last very long given that the offender gets run over but there are a lot of escalators in Chicago and not many in other parts of the midwest. (Ohare, Watertower etc.) For all I know, that is the first escalator some folks have ever ridden on.

3) Cubs games. They are a tourist mecca locking down the entire neighborhood with traffic since the tourists are afraid to take public transport and most can barely walk 3-4 blocks. So, they have to drive to within foul ball distance and then circle around and around trying to find street parking until they figure out that you need a resident permit.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:51 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,918 times
It is hard to decipher intent and mood on the internet. I thought edsg25 said some cool stuff about Wisconsin, and it is evident he loves Wisconsin, Chicago and the midwest.

I do, too. Sometimes where you are is an accident of birth or circumstance. But when you get to do what you want, is it any wonder we choose to embrace Wisconsin as a part of our lives?

goes away singing a Beatles song "all you need is love, love is all you need."

Last edited by ImaloneJill; 11-18-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
It is hard to decipher intent and mood on the internet. I thought edsg25 said some cool stuff about Wisconsin, and it is evident he loves Wisconsin, Chicago and the midwest.

I do, too. Sometimes where you are is an accident of birth or circumstance. But when you get to do what you want, is it any wonder we choose to embrace Wisconsin as a part of our lives?

goes away singing a Beatles song "all you need is love, love is all you need."
thanks, jane. i think you've got be right on this. and i appreciate your kind words.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:20 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
The gentlemen in question, Chief, is me. I don't give a rat's ass how many IL cars are driving up Wisconsin highways. My comment was in answer to a question of why Chicago may get the ire of some Wisconsin folks, why it appears to dominate. I was merely looking for factors that went along with the thread...why Chicago turns off people out of state, especially in Wisconsin. And, yes, Chicagoland is loaded with arrogant SOB's and Wisconsin runs rings around us when it comes to people more down to earth and less filled with themselves.

I just don't get it, Chief. I posted on this thread because the subject was Chicago and I'm from Chicago. I posted in the Wisconsin forum because I thought it was open to everyone although I've been reminded that it is not open to people like me.

I think Wisconsin is a terrific state. One of my favorites. I like your countryside and scenery that puts my state to shame. I love your cities like Madison which is the damned best mid-sized city in America and Milwaukee, an underrated gem if I ever saw it.

I don't have one condescending bone in my body towards Wisconsin, nor do I put Chicago on any sort of pedestal. In fact, you guys can say whatever you want negative about Chicago and it won't hurt my feelings one bit....nor will I tell you what I think about you because of it.

Plenty of people on the east coast and in California think Chicago is "fly over country". So what? They don't owe me a reason why they feel that way. And, hell, how hard is it to find criticism of Chicago...it is a city that has been referred to as the heartbeat and the damnation of America; there is so much to praise and bash about the place. Point is though, I love Chicago and that, to me, is all that matters.

This thing is turning into a joke. It's cyberspace guys. I don't care what you think of me here nor am I making any assessments on you based on how you see Chicago and/or Wisconsin. How I feel about you is irrelevant and I know it. You may not like what I wrote here, but I never came her to flame (that should be obvious), nor to offend. I said nothing offensive. The most "arrogant" think I said here was that I think Chicago dominates the midwest in a way that no other city dominates its region as being the "main city". Pure opinion. Feel free to disagree. But why be offended.

It amazes me how many people on this and other forums choose to pick a fight, choose to misread the words of others, choose not to give the benefit of the doubt. I'm not looking for validation. But I'm sorry to see what a society we have become. We attack the person rather than explain why we disagree with his/her ideas.

I'm irrelevant, just another jerk in cyberspace sharing his ideas. I had no idea that our cities and states were such armed camps, with the big arterilly being loaded to defend the homeland.

I've written far too much; let me close my adding that no matter what any of you think of Chicago, I THINK WISCONSIN IS ONE HELLUVA GREAT STATE AND ISN'T IN ANY STATE'S SHADDOW.
Appreciate your kind and sensible posts.You have kept your posts on point and friendly but to no avail. Far better at control then I and the Irish temper. But you now see what you are up against. Also, notice the unkindness from "new" posters on here,(not you Tao) Interesting that people were banned from here and these new posters pop up with the same lines of hate generalizations. Is Josh the mod hiding somewhere? All this hate going on and on sit ok with you ?
Shame, it used to be such an informative, nice, forum. I am happy to say I have never had to deal personaly with people in Wisconsin who act like some of these guys.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Appreciate your kind and sensible posts.You have kept your posts on point and friendly but to no avail. Far better at control then I and the Irish temper. But you now see what you are up against. Also, notice the unkindness from "new" posters on here,(not you Tao) Interesting that people were banned from here and these new posters pop up with the same lines of hate generalizations. Is Josh the mod hiding somewhere? All this hate going on and on sit ok with you ?
Shame, it used to be such an informative, nice, forum. I am happy to say I have never had to deal personaly with people in Wisconsin who act like some of these guys.
always great to hear from a voice of reason and someone who desperately wants to see fair play. nan, people can't hide behind where they are from and the place they are "defending" (as if defending "the homeland" were a blood sport). they can't hide behind the anonimity of cyberspace. When you're being a jerk, you are being a jerk...and neither being from Wisconsin or being from Chicago has any relationship to one's jerkatuity (sure, it's a made up word, but it fits).

thanks, nan...much appreciated and great to see you call people on the bad behavior they exhibit.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:22 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntr View Post
No answer to this one yet?
Lets put it theis way, it was not in CA. Whether or not the pileup made national news I don't know. I rarely watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin